“I could not believe it”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Phillipsburg
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My family and I were displaced due to hurricain Sandy. We have been staying at this hotel a few weeks now due to lack of other options. If it were not for us having small children, I would much rather sleep in my car than this hotel. None of them speak English well here if at all. The woman here that checks the rooms comes everyday after my kids eat, says the floor is disgusting, then calls DYFS on us. It is much more added stress than we need right now. I am not allowed to have a friend come say hi or visit past 10pm (because I may have a party in here with 4 young sleeping kids). We are not allowed to put bags of garbage outside our room. When I asked for a list of any other rules so we do not break them I was given attitude and told it's common sence. I am not sure how it is when I hear people running up and down the halls all hours of the night and everyone leaves their garbage outside their doors in the morning. I often walk down the hall and smell drugs and other smoke. I've seen cases of beer cans left out in front of people's doors in the mornings. It really is not a very good quality hotel. We were given a very small fridge that was very dirty. We had to ask several times for the fridge before they finally gave us one. The television in our room would not work but luckily we had our own and hooked it up. The internet goes out for days at a time and is very inconvenient since I do my college work online. Over-all I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Chipmunk5369

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We spent two nights here during Hurricane Sandy. The property looked like the grass had not been moved in at least two months. Lobby was not all that clean and run down. There was a machine for hot chocolate, but for a fee of $1.00. Was charged the entire four nights' reservation on my credit card, with assurance I would be refunded if we did not use all four nights. They did bring a mini fridge and microwave as requested; however, the fridge was much smaller than normal hotel models and was "icky" dirty as was the microwave. I wiped down the entire room surfaces with Handi-Wipes and we took the bedspreads off the beds; ended up not sleeping under the covers. On check-out, there was no power, so it was understandable they could not process my refund right then; however, two weeks passed and I had to call and "jump through hoops" to get them to process the credit. This place served its purpose for being a sturdy building through Hurricane Sandy but I certainly would NOT recommend it. It has a local reputation of being a "rent by the hour" place and it certainly lived up to that reputation. Much of the staff did not speak English very well, if at all.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TxYellowRose2012
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Worth the money of you need an overnight stay at a reasonably priced hotel. I stayed there back in the day when it was another brand with a bad reputation and its obvious the current management cares about what they are up to.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank RespectIsEarned
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The room was clean & comfortable. Was also quiet despite the huge double glass sliding doors.

Coffee was EXCELLENT !! Breakfast could have been better (cold cereal & toast). When I asked if fruit was available, Rakesh (great employee) said they used to provide fruit, but it spoiled before customers used it.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank ICJesus
AYARSH, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thank you for the review. We appreciate your comments. Management will try to provide a better breakfast in the future.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I'm traveling across country with my dog and staying in hotels and this one was very good! the staff where very friendly and helpfull. , the rooms and the bathroom where very clean. It was near exit of interstate.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 29, 2012

the real name of this hotel is the phillipsburg inn, aka welfare hotel, we were told this by the locals. we weren't expecting 5 stars, just a clean comfortable room for the night, what we got was false advertisement, filth and a headache! long story short, we checked in and ran, the front desk clerk actually ran after us, begging us to stay for freebies so we wouldn't tell anyone, she actually ran after us! do yourself a favor, stay at the comfort inn 5 miles up the road, clean, comfortable bed and breakfast is included. by the way, they advertise free breakfast at this place, you pay $1.00 for hot cocoa and stale cereal, we saw the breakfast display while we were checking into this disgusting place. i can go on and on, some places should just be torn down!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank worktovacation1
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My son and I stopped here on June 1st, 2012 for a one night stay. The interior is basic and the decor is a bit tired. but beds were good and the place was clean. Despite many attempts I never managed to connect to the wireless. Breakfast basically non-existent. I could stay there again, but you get what you pay for here.

Room Tip: Away from main road