“Fine Hampton Inn for a One Night Stopover”

Hampton Inn Pennsville
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Pennsville
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Pennsville for one night in late August as a stopover one the way home from a North Carolina vacation. The hotel isn't the best or newest Hampton Inn out there, for sure, but it's clean and cozy and gets the job done for a stopover. Front desk staff was great - Madeline, I believe it was, checked us in and was very courteous and helpful. She checked for an HHonors Gold upgrade at our request without any hesitation and welcomed us as Gold members, which was really great. All the common areas of the hotel - lobby, corridors, etc. seemed renovated and are pretty nice, actually. The elevators definitely show the hotel's age, however. Our room was on the second floor of the hotel. The room was definitely on the older side - a renovation is necessary if the hotel wants to stay competitive in the future. But I believe a renovation has started if I'm not mistaken so that's nice to see. Everything was in full working order - the TV, lamps, climate control, beds, etc. so it definitely got the job done. The bathroom is definitely long in the tooth, but it was, once again, clean and in full working order, so it was just fine. We used the fitness center and it was very good. There were nice Precor cardio machines (a few more would've been nice) and free weights - the center was a decent size, as well. Breakfast the next morning was very good. There were mini omelets, bacon, potatoes, juices, pastries, breads, bagels, fruit, yogurts, drinks, etc. The hotel also features 24 hour coffee, tea, and hot chocolate right off the elevators in the lobby, which is a nice Hampton touch. Overall, this Pennsville Hampton does the trick. With the planned renovation of the rooms, this hotel will be taken from just fine to very nice, I'd imagine. But for now, it's perfectly acceptable for a quick stopover.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Wizards119
Teresa N, Social Media Manager at Hampton Inn Pennsville, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for staying with us for a quick stop over on your way back from North Carolina for vacation. We're in the perfect location to accommodate families travelling through the Northeast corridor over the Delaware Memorial Bridge. I'll be sure to extend your kudos to Maddie who always goes above and beyond to take action and exceed our guest's expectations. I'm glad you enjoyed our new lobby and common area spaces that were just renovated this summer. We are also in the process of renovating our guestrooms by floor to stay competitive with the market as you also mention in your review. I will share your comments about the hotel elevators and your great comments about the fitness center and breakfast with our General Manager. Thank you for staying and reviewing us, I'm looking forward to reading your reviews once all of our guestrooms are renovated!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here because it was the closest Hampton we could get to Dover, DE on a NASCAR race weekend. It is conveniently located by 295, DE bridge, and NJ Tpke. We had a very late arrival coming in from the race track. Upon arriving we found a problem with our room. The woman at the desk personally tended to our situation. Because it was a late hour it took awhile to get things rectified, but they were and we understood giving the limited staffing late night. The breakfast was standard Hampton fare, and was sufficient. We did not get to use the outdoor pool, but it looked nice. Overall the hotel seemed fine and though we had a problem it was handled. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your loyalty to the Hampton Inn Brand. We love our Hilton Honors members! I'm glad we were able to accommodate you after your late commute from the racetrack, where I'm sure you had a blast! Thank you for your patience and understanding regarding the inconvenience with your guestroom. I'm glad that our front desk agent took action to rectify the situation as quickly and efficiently as they could. Thank you, again, for your patience. Although I'm sad to hear that in these last few days of summer, you were unable to use the outdoor pool, I am happy that you enjoyed our standard Hampton On the House Breakfast and the other amenities that Hampton Inn Pennsville has to offer.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Aside from housekeeping being on the late side getting our room cleaned; we were back from our morning/afternoon activity before it was cleaned, our stay was fine. Front desk employees were VERY helpful.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Hello, Thank you for sharing your feedback! Each morning, every housekeeper gets a list of the rooms they will be servicing that day. If you see your housekeeper on your floor, you can always them to service your room ahead of time, or let the front desk know that you'd like your room serviced before a certain time. We will always try our best to accommodate these request based on availability. On their list, each housekeeper has check outs and stay overs to service. The check outs usually get serviced first so that we can offer possible early check ins (before 3pm) to incoming guests. Although we cannot guarantee that your room will be serviced before a particular time, we definitely try our best to accommodate our guests' requests.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

This hotel has easy access to 295, NJ turnpike, Delaware Memorial Bridge, Route 40 yet it's quiet and private and great to relax and unwind and also has an awesome hot, complimentary breakfast, not to mention 24 hour coffee and we even had complimentary pizza from 4-6, we were going to order a pizza but didn't need to after that.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Teresa N, Social Media Manager at Hampton Inn Pennsville, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Hi Melanie, Thank you so much for staying with us and thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I'm glad to hear that you were able to relax in a comfy quiet place! Our On the House Hot Breakfast does have many comfort food inspired items such oatmeal and waffles to give you that warm fuzzy feeling. I'm glad you were able to unwind and enjoy happy hour at our lobby bar as well. It's our pleasure to send you home relaxed and rejuvenated.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was our second stay at this Hampton hotel. It is in a perfect location to get back onto I95 and to travel south over the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

Breakfast area is clean and well stocked. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable.

While we were at the hotel the fire alarm went off. Apparently someone on the 3rd floor burned popcorn in the microwave. The hotel staff called the fire department. They were there in about 10 to 15 minutes. There was some confusion about the event. If you asked the staff what was going on they would tell you but no one told us what was going on as a group. Finally the maintenance engineer addressed the crowd that was waiting in the lobby. He told us exactly what was going on and what he planned to do. The only concern I had with the whole incident is that I wonder what plan they have to be sure everyone was out of their rooms. We were on the first floor and as we walked back to our room we saw that some people never left theirs. They may have a way of knowing but it wasn't evident to us. The next morning the poor girl looked exhausted from the night before. She was extremely apologetic about the event. We certainly understood and believed they did the right thing by calling the fire department.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Teresa N, Social Media Manager at Hampton Inn Pennsville, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

I'd like to apologize for the inconvenience of the fire alarm after the popcorn burned in the microwave on the 3rd floor. Thank you for noting our quick and efficient call to the fire department. All of our staff members we briefed on the situation and were able to inform our guests if asked about the situation. I'm sorry that we did not address all of our guests as a group sooner, but I am glad that Craig, our Chief Engineer, did explain the plan of action to the crowd that was assembled in the lobby. There is a plan in place and in addition to that procedure, if the Fire Department could not locate the cause of the fire, they would tell us to evacuate. Once again, I'm so sorry for the situation, and am glad you felt that we did the right thing.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Room was OK but the staff gives you a pack of popcorn when you check in. Bad idea as the idiots on my floor burnt the stuff and set off the smoke detector and smoked the place up. Of course the fire department came and everyone was slamming doors and running around. When I called the front desk and asked what was going on and would we need to evacuate they put me on hold. I hung up and they finally called me back and said stay put. When I checked out in the morning all I got was a mumbled sorry and after I mentioned they might want to re-think the popcorn thing she wanted to argue with me about what set off the smoke detectors... believe me I know what the hell burnt microwave popcorn smells like.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Hi Glenn, Thank you for bringing this situation to our attention and thank you for doing a good service in offering your suggestions to our front desk. We do give gifts upon arrival to some guests checking in, which is meant to be a wow or a kind thought of appreciation. We don't always give popcorn, sometimes, it's Oreo's or granola bars, but I'm sorry that this small token of appreciation had to keep you up all night. We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. This is not typical of our usual Hamptonality and welcoming staff. Again, we sincerely apologize for all of the inconveniences. We hope you will come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Another great visit! Great staff, clean rooms! Never disappoints us! I have been in the hotel business for 34 years and can be very critical. This hotel is wonderful. We stay here every year just for a little get away. Top notch in my book. Thanks again for a much needed mini-vacation! Looking forward to next years stay with you!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

We cannot thank you enough for staying with us again! It's nice to get feedback from others in the industry. We sincerely value your opinion. It's our pleasure to always deliver great service and cleanliness at affordable rates. Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your experience with our past and future guests. Here's to many more years of visits with you that we promise will be filled with hamptonality!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pennsville
Super 8 Pennsville/Wilmington
Holiday Inn Express Carneys Point
Comfort Inn & Suites Carney's Point
Fairfield Inn & Suites Wilmington New Castle
Sheraton Wilmington South
Sheraton Wilmington South
#1 of 12 in New Castle
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark

Been to Hampton Inn Pennsville? Share your experiences!