“Sleepless”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Pennsville
Vinton, Virginia
“Sleepless”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a month on business. This hotel is due for an upcoming renovation. The staff here is very friendly, but the hotel is sub par by Hampton Inn standards. If you come here to rest, then good luck. The doors in the adjacent rooms seem to slam continuously, and the housekeeping staff can't resist letting them slam on the hinges while cleaning. Many of the towels are due to be used as rags to wash cars with. Meaning they are worn thin and are stained. I can say that the bed was very comfortable, and the breakfast was OK.

Room Tip: Would not recommend this hotel if on business working night shift. Too much hallway noise due to th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HamptonInnPV, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pennsville, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you so much for your comments and for staying with us during your recent business trip. I deeply apologize that it was difficult for you to sleep due to the slamming doors. As you are aware, we are doing a renovation to our hotel in late November and I am very concerned with the condition of your towels. I have spoken with our Chief Maintenance engineer to see if we can adjust the closing mechanisms on the guest room doors so they will close more gently. I have also spoken with our Executive Housekeeper to find out why we are using old towels. Unfortunately, most of our guests do not work the night shift and don’t know that other guests may be sleeping. For the next shut down, we are going to try to group the night workers together to try to avoid the noise. Thank you again for staying with us and for your comments. They will help us grow and help us achieve our goal of exceeding our guests expectations with cleanliness and friendliness every day. Have a safe and Happy Holiday season!

Jeff Denbo - General Manager, Hampton Inn Pennsville
856-351-1700

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Forest, Virginia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Although the rooms are requiring a refreshing make over, the hotel staff more then makes up for any room inadequacies....
The staff seemed willing to do whatever it was to make the customer happy. The housekeeping staff was very friendly, accommodating and very good at what they do......
The location can not be beat, although I stayed here on business, trust me when I say I will do so again when in the area...... again the rooms appear dated and worn and requiring an update, but they are super clean and what counts is the beds and bedding and the housekeeping staff ensure they are changed daily. This in my opinion is a hotel to stay in and you will not regret it......

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HamptonInnPV, Social Media Manager at Hampton Inn Pennsville, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on business. We are honored by your kind comments since you travel a lot and your reviews have been important to so many other travelers. We understand that our 13 year old hotel could use a little physical TLC, but we are overjoyed that you sincerely appreciated the detail we pay to our customer service. Friendliness and cleanliness are our expectations for our staff and we more than pleased that you felt comfortable during your recent Hamptonality experience!
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were travelling up to NY city and wanted to break up the trip from Virginia since we were travelling with our four year old and my parents. This was the perfect place to stop if you are coming from the south and want to break up a trip to NYC because it is right at the end of the Delaware Memorial Bridge and right before the Jersey Turnpike. A couple of decent restaurants within walking distance (Cracker Barrel & Applebees). Loved the warm cookies on our return from dinner. Nice clean rooms. Pleasant staff. Breakfast was a nice bonus. Will definitely stay here again when we travel to NYC.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for this great review of your stay at the Hampton Inn Pennsville. We are so happy that you and your family were able to enjoy a nice break on your trip from Virginia to New York! Thank you for mentioning our convenient location just off the Delaware Memorial Bridge with some great food options, warm cookies in the lobby for a quick treat, and our On the House Hot Breakfast Buffet! We're looking forward to your next stay-over!
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

I just stayed here last night and I miss it already! I assumed I would have a clean, comfortable, typical Hampton Inn stay, but I did not anticipate the extras here. First, the front desk staff are amazing! They were just as friendly as other reviews have mentioned. Second, there was a bar in the breakfast area. The prices were good and the bartender was nice and helpful. There was a large group staying there and making use of the bar while I was there-everyone was friendly and it felt comfortable-great social atmosphere. The location was also very good. When making the reservation I wanted to stay in Wilmington but for some reason the hotel there are priced way too high, so I was disappointed to have to stay so far away (turns out it wasn't far at all)- now I have a regular hotel to seek out when staying in the area! I can't say enough positive things about this hotel; I highly recommend it!!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank number2cac
HamptonInnPV, Social Media Manager at Hampton Inn Pennsville, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Hello, We are extremely pleased that such an experienced travel reviewer, like yourself had a fantastic stay with us at the Hampton Inn Pennsville while on business! I cannot wait to share your great review with our staff. And we miss you too, can't wait to see you again!
PA
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We can always count on the Hampton Inn Pennsville for a wonderful time! Room was clean and comfortable! Staff always great! It is our home away from home! The staff even had a little gift for me because we were there shortly after my 60th birthday! We will continue to stay here! Thank you again for a wonderful visit!! And a big hello to Ollivia! She is the best!!! You cannot go wrong at this hotel!! I have been in the hotel business for 33 years and this is a great place!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HamptonInnPV, Social Media Manager at Hampton Inn Pennsville, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Happy Birthday! We are so glad to hear that you can count on us for a wonderful get away! I look forward to sharing your big hello with Ollivia when I see her next. Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn Pennsville, we love having you here.
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The staff at the Hampton Inn in Pennsville are great. The hotel also has a very welcoming lobby and bar area. I've never seen so much attentiveness to the breakfast area before.

The only downsides I've noticed are the lack of a "Suite Shop" -- I was in bed for a day due to food poisoning and there wasn't a suiteshop I could go and grab some medication and fluids. They have vending machines and a small medicine vending machine, but it's much more convenient to bill to the room at a suite shop (especially when you're sick and there's no ATM on property).

The only other issue I've had is stuffy rooms -- the windows do not open for the rooms, so the rooms can get quite stuffy, especially if the air conditioner is acting up.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
We value feedback from Senior Reviewers, like yourself. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We are very attentive and focused on customer service at the Hampton Inn Pennsville. We want you to feel like you are at home away from home. We do not have a suite shoppe or an ATM on property, and I apologize for this inconvenience during your illness. Also, most hotel room windows do not open for safety reasons. If at any time you experience stuffiness or issues with our A/C Units, please dial 0 on you guestroom phone, so we can send a maintenance manager to your room take care of that for you. We are happy that you experienced a good stay, and we hope to see you again soon when you travel to the area for business again.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed at Hampton Inn- Pennsville for a two day business trip. The breakfast, evening snack, warm cookies and evening social happy hour was so convenient and relaxing. Additionally, the staff was so attentive! I know that I kept thinking in my head, "Is this a Hampton Inn?" One evening the weather was really bad, so I jokingly asked for the shuttle to a restaurant in walking distance. Without hesitating, they delivered me and my co-worker safe, sound and dry to our destination for dinner. Kudos to Ollivia Willis, Mike P. Kris Latney and Ruby M for their excellent customer service!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Robin P, Thank you for choosing to stay with us while on business. It's great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our happy hour at the lobby bar with snacks and drinks, but most importantly, I am happy that our staff kept you and your co-worker company when on the road away from home. I hope you enjoyed your dinner, out of the rain, and I will gladly pass along your kind comments to Ollivia, Mike, Kris, and Ruby for exceeding your expectations! Now that's Hamptonality!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pennsville
Super 8 Pennsville/Wilmington
Comfort Inn & Suites Carney's Point
Holiday Inn Express Carneys Point
Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington Christiana
Hilton Wilmington / Christiana
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Downtown Wilmington - Legal District

Been to Hampton Inn Pennsville? Share your experiences!