Review Highlights
Great Place to Enjoy Wine With Friends!

Met a couple of friends here on Sunday and enjoyed the experience very much. Tastings are very... read more

Reviewed February 11, 2020
Frank-in-SF
San Francisco, California
a gem in Hopewell valley

Good wine, good service, great place to sit back and have a nice evening with friends. Wines are... read more

Reviewed September 1, 2019
njlees25
Pennington, New Jersey

All reviews pizza friday saturday great place to sit back merlot wines tasting winery nj
Selected filters
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My Girlfriends and I went to a wine tasting and tour on Mother's day. We had a great time! The weather was nice and the staff was very informative and friendly. We tasted a variety of wines, they offer cheese plates for purchase as well. I'd be interested in coming back for a music night. I purchased a bottle of the White Merlot, the Vidal Blanc was good too.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We enjoyed a couple hours today at the Hopewell Valley Vineyards in Pennington, NJ. Although crowded and wine tasting started a bit late, our hostess Violeta was congenial and knowledgeable about most things wine. This family owned and operated winery produces quite a few locally grown varietals as well as imported grape specialties. It's an excellent education in wines and wine making.

I love wine and grew up in an Italian household where I began drinking at 4 years old (diluted, of course). Most of my elders made their own wine but I found that drinking wine is the greatest truth. So I really enjoyed this small but focused winery. They know the limit that climate places on growing grapes and won't push beyond what is practical and controllable. Hence, the imported juices which go to fermentation and produce fine varietals in their own right.

We tasted 6 wines, starting with the lightest whites and progressing to the heavier reds. Violeta explained each selection and after the less than an hour tasting session, we moved to the pressing and processing room for an in-depth explanation of the workings. Enjoyed seeing the beautiful French Oak barrels in the cellar aging several wines. From the explanation, we gathered that this operation is quite "green" and no chemicals are used to protect or enhance the grape vines, and the residue of production is cycled back into the earth, etc.

I'm not a fan of New Jersey wines and have been to several in the state plus 36 wineries in Napa and Sonoma. I'm fond of California wines but I found that the Hopewell Valley Cabernet Sauvignon was the best of the flight tasting today and worthy of mention. It was lighter than most cabs with a fair amount of complexity, good nose, solid taste, and good finish. We also like the White Merlot which we stocked up on at only $12.95 a bottle. The day's outing was a fun change from our usual Sunday activities.

I recommend this tour but be sure to reserve at least 2 weeks ahead, and there is a charge. Ask about the weekend entertainment and evening events on the grounds. You may want to ask about the local restaurants that serve their wine if you're looking for a place to eat later.

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I bought a groupon for a wine tasting and tour of the winery. The tasting included a sampling of 6 or 7 of the most popular wines. The tasting portions were plentiful and the staff was friendly. The owner Sergio explained each wine as he went along and it was very informative. The tour was short but full of information. I would recommend the winery for couples and a small group of friends.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Best to go when you can smell the grapes on the vines and watch the sunset. The wine is fine and if they are making pizza you in for a pleasent evening.

Date of experience: February 2013
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My girlfriends and I love spending weekend afternoons going wine tasting to all the different vineyards in the area, which there are quite a few to choose from. On this particular day, we took our boyfriends to Hopewell because we were in the mood for White Merlot. It was raining so the place was pretty empty and unfortunately we had to sit inside and weren't able to enjoy the picnic tables outside. We took some light, organic snacks because we are picky about what we eat and the brick oven for the pizza is rarely up and running. But let me also say, we purchased about $400 worth of wine between all of us. The staff was great, always has been, but the owner decided she wasn't happy that we didn't buy their dried out cheese and meat plate (we don't eat meat). She didn't come over to be nice and introduce herself, she didn't bother wondering how much we had spent, she was more worried that we didn't buy her $8 plate of old cheese and told the employee to let us know they did not allow food to be brought in. I understand if they were actually serving food, but it's not a restaurant and they would have never known if it had been a sunny day and we were sitting outside. Unless they have food police...which they may. :)
There are many nice vineyards in the area without these silly restrictions which actually encourage you to bring snack regardless if they have cheese plates for sale or not, so we don't have to go to Hopewell to get wine. These other vineyards still get that the whole point is to get people in to buy your wine.I feel business owners that are lucky to be a little successful forget that the customer still has a choice...and in this economy! We decided to pack up and leave and we haven't been back and we won't be back.

Date of experience: September 2012