“Good food, but prepare to spend most of your night there.”

DiPaolo's Italian Ristorante
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Penns Grove
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: It has been in business for quite a long time. I'm surpised it is not listed on your site.
Reviewed September 6, 2012

DiPaolo's is a very good restaurant that attracts people from all over who brave the location, (not the best neighborhood) to eat here. I'm partial to DiPaolos because the 2 best sandwiches I've ever eaten, the grilled vegetable sandwich and the Big Mikes Special, are served here.
I've eaten lunch here, the lunch buffet here and the dinner here often. I'll confine my comments to dinner, since I'm assuming only locals come during lunch. Dinners are pricey, but 90% of the time you walk out with a doggie bag. The antipasto that comes before the meal is top shelf, and if it's on the menu, it's pretty good. HOWEVER, the service here ranges from below average to indifferent. They are certainly in no rush to get you out of there, and if you're in and out in less than an hour and a half you've done well.
Overall, this is a very good place to eat. As people have mentioned, it's locally owned and they care about the food that comes out of the kitchen. If you have the time, I highly recommend it.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

There are definitely some pros and cons to this place. Overall I would recommend it for a family outing or special occasion but not recommend it for a date / two person dinner.
Pros:
The mushroom ravioli were the best I ever had. Really authentic and delicious.
The surrounding area is not the best but the parking lot seems safe and well lit and I give them credit for operating an upscale restaurant in an area that is otherwise somewhat depressed.
Portions are huge (also a con)
Good Selection
Quiet and nice atmosphere
Servers were very polite

Cons
My main complaint with this place is more about the format than the food. The prices are very high. Apps are 20-25 dollars and entrees are about 50%-70% higher than most Italian places (for example compared to the Italian places in Collingswood, not the olive garden). We shared 1 app and 1 entree between the two of us and each had 1 glass of house wine and the bill was $95. Now the portion sizes are much larger as well, so for family style dining where everyone is sharing it probably works out but me and my wife couldn’t even finish one app and one entree. Our appetizer was $25 and it was more than even two people could eat. Our mushroom raviolis were $37 and we took half of it home. I would have rather had 1/2 the portion for a reasonable price ($24-$26) and then we could each have tried our own entree without wasting a ton of food. I asked the waitress if there were any 'half portions' available or smaller apps and she explained that the prices were high but the portions were large so you can take it home and have another meal. I think the higher prices may also be a way to market to higher class clientele.

Another con was that despite the prices, there were small details that were not on par with a 'nice' Italian restaurant. When we arrived we stood around for a few minutes are no one greeted us. We went into the bar and then finally had to walk through the dining room before someone asked us if we wanted to be seated. When we sat down the waiter was about to pour water into our glasses and I noticed my glass had green mildew or mold on it, as well as lip stick and finger smudges…these were not subtle imperfections. The waiter apologized and immediately replaced the glasses and it wasn’t anything worth getting upset about but it had me second guessing everything i put in my mouth after that. Also, just a minor thing but they put foil wrapped pats of butter on the table for your bread. That seems more like a pizzeria than a place that sells $37 raviolis. I expect a nicer place to take the effort to give you a small ramekin of butter or plate with some softened butter.
Overall, at the end of the dinner we were full and the food was good but we left thinking we could have had a nicer meal at a stephen starr / jose garces restaurant in philly for the same price

1  Thank mjlynch
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The entire meal was fantastic from start to finish. The portions are large. You will not go away hungry. I got the fish and it was very fresh. Everyone at our table got different things and not one person was disappointed!!!

Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

This place is a gem hidden in penns grove. First off, don't let people scare you off regarding the location. All I heard before going was how unsafe the area is blah blah blah. Sure it's a run down block, but the parking lot is safe and well lit. The service is top notch from beginning to end and the food is absolutely the best Italian I've ever had. Blows away Carmine's at the Trop in AC.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

good restaurant, a bit pricey, love their antipasta they give before the meal. Foods always good. A bit of a fancy place..