“A Couple of Misses But Very Good”

Ninety Acres at Natirar
Reserve with OpenTable
Ninety Acres at Natirar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Old Dutch Rd. E
Description: The Natirar Estate, a nearly 500-acre site atop the mountains of Peapack, is the home of Ninety Acres Culinary Center, which consists of a cooking and wine school, and a restaurant offering unique and exciting menus featuring produce and livestock fresh from the estate farm. The restaurant, along with our private party facilities, redefines what a quality dining experience can and should be. We offer an a la carte menu in our dining rooms, a light bar menu in our bar and lounge areas, and the "Bring Me Food" experience, our interpretation of the tasting menu concept, exclusively in our kitchen dining area.
Succasunna, NJ
“A Couple of Misses But Very Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We made a reservation on late Sunday afternoon to celebrate my wife's birthday. The setting for the restaurant is very nice. Long winding road and rolling hills as you approach. When we walked in I was pleasantly surprised. I expected stuffiness, tableclothes and a more formal atmosphere. We found the opposite to be true which suits us just fine.
The service is very good, with everyone going out their way to welcome you, fill your glasses and answer any questions you might have. There are a lot of servers who pass your way during the course of dinner. Some you see once, others on several occasions. They seat you with a tasting menu and don't bring their regular menu for five minutes or so, hoping, I suppose, that you will take part in their five course meal, with or without wine pairings.
Their menu probably had twice as many appetizers as it did entrees and the apps were very different. We decided to try their pizza special, they have a different one every night......bacon, carmelized onions and a hint of blue cheese. It was very good.
Their are only 7-8 entree choices so you need to be flexible. If I remember properly, most of them were fish entrees. My wife decided to have the haddock and I the black bass. When the meals were brought out there was a mistake and the server had two black bass entrees. Knowing it would take time to prepare another he asked if my wife wouldn't mind enjoying the black bass while he had the haddock prepared. By the time he brought out the haddock, we were both done with our meals. He offered to pack it up for us to take. We agreed. The black bass, by the way, was excellent, as were the mashed potatoes.
For dessert, we had the sweet and salty pretzel sundae which was good but a little too salty and not enough sweetness for me.
As I said, we were celebrating my wife's birthday, which I mentioned on my form when making reservations with open table. When the restaurant called to confirm our reservation the day before they asked me whose birthday was being celebrated and I told them, so they were aware of it. I saw them bring out little birthday desserts with candles to other tables while we were there but it was never done with us. I never said anything to them.
There's a lot to like about this place. If service and taste make a good restaurant, then this place shines. Mistakes happen, but two oversights in one night prevent me from giving this a five star rating. For the prices charged, unforunately, you have to be close to perfect. It wouldn't prevent us from returning, and we plan to, because it's a great special occasion location. Hopefully they'll get everything right next time.

• Visited March 2013

New Jersey
“90% failure grade in staff training”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

There is no doubt there restaurant has a lot going for it. The location is stunning, perched on top of a beautiful mountain; the restaurant space is sleek and modern with a wonderful candlelit ambiance and the food is very good and beautifully presented. But where it is lacking, and lacking in a huge way, is the staff and its non- training.
Having been there at least a half dozen times since it opened, I have not seen any improvement although I keep hoping the staffing issue will be addressed.
In all fairness, many servers canbe fine although not as polished as one would expect in a restuarnt of this quality but the reception staff is sorely lacking.

First af all, in a sophisticated restauant like this one, with the wait staff in a demure black and white..the reception staff and hostesses can wear anything they choose and they do! There is no finesse whatsoever when thy greet diners or answer the phone to confirm or make reservations. There is no finesse, no protocol. I certainly do not want old and stuffly but I do expect a level of finesse.
Last night was a perfect example. We had a young girl in bright blue sweater and uber short pleated skirt reminiscent of a cheerleader walk us to our table. Our dinner guest just in from Paris, who after the young woman pranced off (and I mean this literally) said she thought it was a joke performance. And so did we. The young lady pranced and posed over the table handing us menus in a sort of Saturday Night Live like cross with a Valley Girl imitation, It struck all of us as being totally inappropriate for a restaurant of this ilk.

When our salads were served; no one from the wait staff brought or offered pepper so we had to search for someone who finally plunked down a peppermill. On an earlier occasion, when we were with clients, my dinner order was never put into the kitchen so when the other three dinners arrived, I was left to sit and watch them eat and they, in turn, got to watch me dine when my entree finally arrived. Not good.

Last evening was truly the last time we will go to Ninety Acres..it has so much promise that, I am sad to say, just doesn't deliver.

• Visited March 2013
“Very Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

The drive up the long, windy driveway to Ninety Acres is quite an adventure. The food for the most part was great. Standouts were the wood fired sour-dough pizza with meatballs, Natirar beat salad, imperial wagyu top sirloin, Griggstown chichen, and the pumpkin quinoa. However, the side of macaroni and cheese was tasteless and should have been sent back. We finished the meal with a warm butter cake with ice cream which was delicious. In my opinion, the service was not up to par for a restaurant of this caliber. The staff was young which is fine, but they were not very attentive. I was expecting the service to match the prices. The building and surrounding grounds are beautiful. I am looking forward to returning in the summer so we can take advantage of the outdoor seating.

• Visited February 2013
Ledgewood, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always lives up to high expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Great atmosphere, delicious food. Great beer, wine and drinks as well. Tough to get reservations so book early.

Montville, New Jersey
“Great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

excellent service, food and ambiance. It is a great special occasion restaurant. Leave time to walk the grounds.

Visited September 2012