“Discriminated for reserving using Wyndham Rewards Point”

Days Inn Parsippany
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Parsippany
Athens, Ohio
“Discriminated for reserving using Wyndham Rewards Point”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I made reservation for May 27th night using my Wyndham Trip Awards point. When I checked in on Sunday around noon, the desk clark gave me room for construction people in the separate older building far away from lobby building across the parking lot and restaurant even though most of the rooms in lobby newer building were empty at that time of Sunday NOON. Due to knee surgery when I requested same type of room in lobby building, she asked me $10 for upgrade. When I asked to talk to Manager, an Chineese woman showed up from the office asking me the same upgrade fee of $10. When I told them that I am Wyndham Rewards member for last 5 years and stayed at several Ramada, Days Inn using points and nobody charged extra, she said she don't care. I even checked with Wyndham Rewards Members club customer Service and they confirm me that Motel can't charge upgrade fee for same type of room. My family was there for Wedding, not with the construction crew.

The front desk staff and manager were not in proper front desk attire and without name tag. So, when I asked for their name, they refused to provide. I had no choice but to stay in the lousy room with doors on both side of room in the older building.

The room was with TWO double bed for 4 people reservation but had only TWO old torn towel sets for construction people. When requested, she refused to provide me more towels. But when I argue that my reservation is for 4 people, she brought in two more older set again.

I feel that I got discriminated because I paid for the room using my Wyndham Rewards Point.

I called Days Inn Customer Service from motel lobby also and they recoded my complain right there on the same day.

I am really upset and I will not recommend anyone to stay at this Days Inn.

I will ask Days Inn Franchise whether this older building is approved for doing business as Days Inn. Looks like, this older building used to be private motel next door and the owner must have purchased and now renting the room as Days Inn without approval to construction people or to the discounted guest with the use of Wyndham Rewards Point.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank bhpatel2005
, General Manager at Days Inn Parsippany, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thanks for choosing Days Inn Parsippany as your Wyndham Rewards Points stay. Please let me apologize for your unpleasant stay at our property.

There are two different buildings in our hotel: Economic and Business. The business building was just remodeled in 2010. In fact, some of our customers who are not part of the construction crew really prefer to stay in the economical section in order to take advantage of the easy assess for their vehicles and personal balcony. We believe you probably understand the different preference of each guest since your business of 10 hotels is very successful as you said.

The $10 fee is our policy when the customer would like to upgrade their reservation from the economical building to the business, whether using Wyndham Rewards point or not. When you book through Wyndham Rewards Points based on the points used your room is booked for either economical or business. We DID NOT downgrade you; it is just that the reservation was made for the economical section rather than a business room. We are sorry to let you know that the economical building and business building are not the same type. Our check-in time is 2 PM not noon, hence the reason why you probably thought the hotel was empty; however, majority of rooms were all booked at that day.

When you informed us that you had knee surgery, we did arrange a room on the first floor for you. Although our dress code and uniform might not be up to par for your standards, each franchise is privately owed and the owner can set the dress code for our property. The reason our front desk refused to give out her name was because she had felt threatened by your malice comment of having her arrested.

We appreciate that you took the time to write a review and let us know where we need improvement so that we may continue to maintain high standards. We sincerely hope you will give us another try to extend our hospitality and look forward to servicing you again in the future. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (973) 335-0200.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed March 23, 2012

..or not. This Days Inn fails to delivers the complete hotel experience of price, service and facility accommodations. Be very careful choosing your room as this location has an old motel and the new standard elevator garden style hotel building. The lower price we received, over the phone, was for the old motel,” trip advisors” have lashed out about. Of course, over the phone, we were not told the fact two different facility accommodations existed at different price levels. And the picture of the motel is not shown on Days Inn website. That motel is part of Wyndham Hotel Group. Wow! This motel is used as an overflow for those who choose not to pay or who cannot afford to pay the higher fee for the newer hotel. To me, this is a bait and switch tactic not a forgetful error.
While I do not expect a door man at the entrance at this hotel, I do expect the staff to have a professional hotel demeanor. The staff completely failed at any attempt at service: The $59.00 quoted over the phone was for the motel not the hotel. When we arrived at the motel / hotel we saw a stark difference of the two. The motel has a look of, “rooms for rent by the hour,” and the new hotel looks close to the picture on the Days Inn website. We chose to stay at the new hotel, with the price increase. The hotel room was discounted from $69.00 per room to $62.00 per night for a two nights stay with an optional third night stay at the rate. This is a $10 increase per night per room but discounted. At 11PM at night, they have you suckered in. We signed a contract for a third night option at the $62.00 rate, however, at the time for adding the third night two days later the staff conveniently lost the paperwork, thus charged us $80.00 per room. The staff also charged us $80 for the second night rather than the $62.00 in the contract. They did make good on reversing the second night but not the third night, however begrudgingly only after a big argument. As a consolation price, they did give us a 25% discount on two rooms on a return visit. Be careful as I was told by the front desk clerk the rates can change according to room occupancy and demand at any time. It is programmed into the computer. Be sure to get the daily rate and how many days the rate is good. Also, they used an old style credit card manual swipe machine when we paid by credit card. The credit card paper document contains the credit card number, expiration date and possibly the verification number (on American Express cards) possible accessible to the staffs and guests eyes. The credit card industry has strict rules with retailers protecting credit card information. I wonder if this Days Inn is in violation of these rules; one front desk clerk was talking on the phone with her spouse or boyfriend while waiting on guests. Very tacky! ; another front desk clerk was very course in her demeanor to questions. Like I was bothering her. Fiona, the GM is all business, period. It’s seems as though her family members may live on premises, but not sure.
The facility accommodations are good for the price paid for the hotel prior to rate increases. I cannot imagine any rate good for the motel. You are told to park out back as the parking spaces in front are for the Fuddruckers restaurant guest only. We thought the hotel was closed as there was no cars parked the front of the hotel. The rooms are good with new beds for a decent night’s sleep; the conventional breakfast was decent; the dryer took several completion cycles to dry our clothes; and a small fitness room is available.
Fiona, please do not provide a meaningless, cold, and soulless, “ I am sorry” reply. Just get it right, period, or go work at a toll booth.

Room Tip: Ask for the new hotel price and availability not the motel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Bobby P
Fiona C, General Manager at Days Inn Parsippany, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Thank you for choosing Days Inn Parsippany. We feel sorry for any inconvenience you experienced during your recent visit at our Days Inn.

According to your statement, we will be more careful about the different building descriptions while taking phone call reservations, even though, we do provide guest room pictures of the economical building on the website. Days Inn property has two sections, one is the economical building; the other is the businesses one. Guests may choose the economical building because it is not only convenient access for them to park in front of the door but also it comes with a balcony. Again, we apologize for the pricing differences. In hospitality industry, the prices change all the time, but we will be more careful to deliver accurate information to guests. The credit card paper imprint is required by the credit card company policy, and every document is confidential. We never had any credit card fraud issue by any of our employees, and we view this issue as very crucial matter in order to protect our guests. Taking phone calls in front of guests is inappropriate; however it was a special situation. Our front clerk did explain it to the guests. Hopefully this can clear up any misunderstandings and inconveniences caused to our guests.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know where improvement is needed so that we may continue to maintain high standards. We sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to extend our usual hospitality. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at (973)335-0200.

Travelers are raving about these Parsippany hotels

Harriston, VA
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Good breakfast and if you use a coupon you get a good price. The rooms are updated,

The only thing that was negative were that the sheets seemed like they were not completely dried.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Fiona C, Manager at Days Inn Parsippany, responded to this review, February 12, 2012
Thank you for choosing Days Inn Parsippany. It’s our pleasure that you have a good night stay with us. Please give us another chance to service you. We are looking forward to seeing you in the future.
Coralville, Iowa
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I've stayed here a few times and the rooms have always been nice and clean. I was in the newer building both times. The internet works fine and the TV's are relatively new wide-screens with full cable. The hotel is in a nice area and I've always felt safe. The parking arrangements are somewhat odd; you can't park in front of the building as this is reserved for the restaurant. The only issues I have are that 1) the rates vary so widely from one date to another, and 2) that I got lectured during my most recent check-in for booking through Days Inn's website instead of calling the hotel directly. (For the record, the rates I heard the clerk quoting to callers over the phone while I was checking in were higher than what I paid, so I still think I did the right thing.)

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer building. It appears much nicer.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ML_ND
Thank you for choosing Days Inn Parsippany. Please call us next time directly to make a reservation, we would like to take look your case. Hope to see you in the nearly future.
Middlesex, New Jersey
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Check in was quick and simple. I did call the front desk (when I was enroute) to ask for directions, as I was coming from a different route than I expected. The girl that answered the phone each time I called gave poor directions. They need to work on that. If I were not from NJ and had no clue where I was, I would have been in big trouble. Other than that, I was satisfied that my room was clean upon arrival and was cleaned throughout my 3 day stay. It was very quiet and I loved that. Because I was so busy, I did not get to enjoy the breakfast that was included but it smelled wonderful each morning as I left the hotel! I am not too familiar with that particular area of northern Jersey but I knew there was a Friday's just down the street and some other restaurants to choose from as well. Overall, it was a quiet and relaxing stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Specify that you'd like 'non-smoking' if you're not a smoker. I didn't smell an...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Fiona C, General Manager at Days Inn Parsippany, responded to this review, February 12, 2012
Thank you for choosing Days Inn Parsippany. It is our pleasure to hear you had a good night stay with us. Thank you for your recommendation regarding to the direction instruction. Hope you can give us another chance to provide you better service. Please come to try our deluxe breakfast buffet. We are looking forward to seeing you in the future.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Stayed for a night in a king-bed room. Room was very neat. There was new furniture and a large flat screen TV. It was also peaceful and quiet. Location is okay. There is a shopping center nearby with a movie theater, McDonalds, and other food places. Front desk staff was polite and check-in/check-out was handled quickly. Apparently, the hotel is split into a newer area and an older area, I stayed in the newer area. If possible, request a room there. Price was decent. Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Apriltsai, Manager at Days Inn Parsippany, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
It is our pleasure to hear you have a good night stay at Days Inn Parsippany. We are looking forward to seeing you in the future.
Chehalis, Washington
Reviewed November 4, 2011

So we stayed here for a week. The price was cheap. We are non smokers and asked for a non-smoking room. The hall way to our room was a wretched stench of Cigs. However our room did not smell.
We arrived late and slept in. I asked for a towel exchange when we left the room .....it did NOT happen. I called for towels when we returned the reply was" come get em yourself" HUH??? Customer service is not a strong suit here.
They have a breakfast bar but it was out of coffee. I asked for someone to fill the air pots and got an argument from the desk. She refused to believe they were empty. Another HUH???? Then the best part of all a man comes from his room screaming that he found " Black ladies panties in his bed and urine stains in his sons bed.
I believed him. We found old shoes, candy wrappers and a long black cord in our room. Cheap entertainment for sure.
I really did enjoy the waffles each morning ( I have to say something good)
Well I advise you go here at your own risk. Tear your bed apart before you sleep in it (I did)

Room Tip: To find a good room ....well just "DON't"
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Apriltsai, Front Office Manager at Days Inn Parsippany, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Thank you for taking your time to write a review to us. Your comment is very important to us. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at 973-335-0200. Hope we can have another chance to service you in the future.