“Superb staff and quiet for the most part”

Residence Inn Parsippany
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Parsippany
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I was here on business for 16 nights and I must say, the staff here is very friendly and attentive. One of employees serving dinner, Ana Curis, is the sweetest lady! I asked her for green tea just one time and she remembered for the rest of my stay and asked if I needed anymore green tea every time she saw me. I've never received such good service and attention before. 5 stars for Ana! :)
The front desk receptionists were also helpful and apropachable. Maria knows me by name and always greets me, and Marguerita was friendly as well. I was surprised there were reviews about bad service/attitude, because I received nothing like that.

Breakfast was decent.. your typical scrambled eggs, waffles, potatoes, some type of meat, oatmeal, etc.BUT there were no hardboiled eggs.. which was kind of disappointing... I only had hardboiled eggs once during my stay (I thought that was the most basic and convenient item to have at breakfast especially if you're in a hurry to get to work) They even had greek yogurt one Saturday. My only suggestion is maybe add an omelette bar? I really liked the eggs florentine on the English muffin and breakfast burritos they had one time.. too bad there weren't more of those.
Their dinner is not too bad.. the time I was here, they had a BBQ (hamburgers/hotdogs); pasta nights; beef stew with rice; turkey sandwiches; chicken with rice; a "manager's toast" night with: wine served by the manager, cheese/crackers/celery/carrots/alfredo tortellini; and soup and salad night.
Fitness room was quite small actually so I wouldn't expect to get much done there... not much room to move around at all, and there's only one elliptical machine. You might as well work out in your room since the rooms are spacious enough for that.

When I first arrived, I originally reserved a studio suite, and it smelled like smoke (nonsmoking hotel, right?). After I told Maria about it, she offered to send housekeeping to spray it with air freshener or find me another room--and eventually I was upgraded to a one-bedroom suite, which was very nice. The bedrooms are very spacious--both the studio and the one bedroom suite were big; you definitely have enough space to sprawl out. The refrigerator was also very clean and is definitely big enough to store stuff for 2 weeks.
One thing I was surprised at, was that even though this hotel was renovated around last summer (2012), it still looked a little shabby in some areas--the cabinets, the caulking around the bathtub drain... needed some touch ups let's say. Nevertheless, what's most important is that the bed was comfortable, pillows were nice and fluffy, and they had new furniture in the room. Other weird thing about the room was that there was no luggage rack.. but there is a rack up high in the sliding door closet so you can put some stuff there if you're staying here for a while.
Shower was great--good water pressure, and the water got hot quickly.

I stayed on the 3rd floor so luckily I didn't have anyone stomping above me.. but whoever was staying next door... I could hear him talking pretty clearly. So the walls are kinda thin.. Aside from that, most of my stay was pretty quiet, with the occasional kids trampling down the halls and storming down the stairs and slamming doors (there's actually lots of families who stay here) This is located near an office complex as well, which means its not noisy at night and you don't get the whooshing sounds of cars from the highway since it's a bit more tucked away from the side of the highway.
The elevator though, is a little creepy--moves slowly and feels like you're in the Twilight zone--I just took the stairs everyday.
I had no problem with the internet connection.. the only amusing thing I found about this place is that they still had analog TV channels!

Location: ok if you're heading to route 10 East, it's going to take you a while to get there in the morning, since the genius who designed roads in NJ didn't allow left turns. If you leave past 8:10 you're going to be sitting at the red light for 8 minutes on route 202 so get ready to leave early .. or else sit at the red light for 8 minutes.

Overall, I am very satisfied with my stay here at Residence Inn. It's a great place to just unwind and relax after a long day at work. The staff welcomes you and makes you feel right at home. I would stay here again if I had the chance.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Rachael H, General Manager at Residence Inn Parsippany, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Residence Inn Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your most recent experience at the Residence Inn Parsippany! Your review is very valuable and we certainly appreciate your feedback. I am glad to read that our staff provided you with great service. I am very fortunate to work closely with an amazing group of people. Sorry to hear you were disappointed with not having boiled eggs during breakfast. This is an item that is rotated on our breakfast bar. We will look into adding it into the rotation a couple extra days during the week. In addition to the analog channels, we also have HD channels and options for TV programs in other languages such as Spanish and Korean. We hope you were able to enjoy some of your favorite TV shows.
Thank you again for the wonderful feedback. We appreciate the choice you made to stay with us during your business travel. We look forward to hosting your stay during your next visit to Parsippany!
Rachael H.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed here because I had a business reason, but I would not want to stay again.

First, the smell of spice (Indian curry, anyone?) filled the hotel (at least the building B where I stayed for 4 nights). It did not bother me whilst I was inside of the room, but the hallway was undeniably stinky.

Then the closet sized fitness center. I had to fight for the use of the only weight bench every morning. It is a long-stay establishment, right? I think many of us in the US are health conscious. Please plan to expand the fitness center.

Room Tip: I wonder if the main building has less curry smell. Don't stay in Building B, unless you are in...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The room was spacious and well equipped. Access was also very good.

The noise was unbelievable. People coming down the stairs sounded like a herd of elephants. Also, the people in the unit above me were annoying. I could hear them walking around and their conversations were nearly understandable. The slamming of doors was also troublesome. This dwelling is obviously not very well insulated. Finally, one evening I returned to my room at 9:00 PM to find the bed unmade. There had not been any service to my room. When I called the front desk, they offered to come service my room then. Being very tired, I declined their offer. When I checked out, there was no offer of any compensation at all. Very disappointing for a well known chain. I doubt I will be back as there are other alternatives. I travel to this area frequently on business.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the stairs and exits.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Rachael H, General Manager at Residence Inn Parsippany, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear Craig K,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at the Residence Inn Parsippany. I am happy to hear that you found your suite to be spacious and easily accessible.

I would like to apologize for the noise disturbance you experienced. We make every effort to keep the noise down. It is very important that our guests are comfortable and able to stay productive. Also, my sincere apology that your bed was not made upon your return that evening. It appears the assignment to have your room cleaned fell through the cracks. I understand the desk clerk offered to service your room, but was refused due to the time of the day. I can see how these things may discourage you from staying with us. As a frequent traveler you come to expect great service and quality accommodations. This is not the norm for us. However, when these things happen we look forward to doing what we can to improve.

Thank you again for your feedback! We hope you will stay with us again.

Rachael

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel has just been refurbished and its been done well. As always big rooms and a good price compared to other hotel. Considering what you can pay your getting a very good accommodation and service

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NickBrown1970
Rachael H, General Manager at Residence Inn Parsippany, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about the Residence Inn Parsippany! Our hotel was renovated just over a year. I am glad the accommodations met your needs. We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Rachael H.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed here once in the fall and more recently in December... The first was a good experience and the second..not so much. I believe the rooms are quite variable in terms of cleanliness and refreshed look. I have not figured it out but it may be that the first floor is a no go.. Especially near exits in rooms that might be more often selected for dog owner accommodations. In the room for our second stay the carpet was not very clean and in general looked shabby. We would have changed rooms except we had driven so many miles and thus exhaustion won out. I would refuse such a room in the future IF we decide to stay there again (convenient to family). But there are other options so likely will exercise them.

Room Tip: Ask for a more newly renovated room away from pet accommodation.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Roxanne33
Rachael H, General Manager at Residence Inn Parsippany, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Residence Inn Guest,
Thank you for sharing with us about your most recent stay at our hotel. We certainly appreciate your feedback. Sorry to hear that this stay in December did not meet your expectations. I will review with my housekeeping manager to ensure the carpet in our rooms is being maintained. Although the rooms were renovated less than a year ago, it sounds as if this particular room may not have been up to our standards. Please accept my sincere apology. I hope the next time you are in the area you will choose to stay with us again. If you have any special requests for room location, please do not hesitate to ask.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

we had to stay here unexpectedly due to severe weather and needed 4 rooms at the last minute including a handicap accessible room. The staff was fantastic at getting us what we nneded and making us feel at home. Even though it was a holiday week, they allowed us to have one late check out.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Residence Inn Guest,
Thank you for the wonderful comments left about your recent stay at the Residence Inn Parsippany! We certainly appreciate the time you took to share your feedback. I am happy to hear that my staff was able to accommodate your stay and your late checkout request. If you are ever in the area, we would like to be your host hotel again. Thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Because of Hurricane Sandy I became displaced. I checked into the Residence Inn Parsippany and I paid over 200 a night. If I had any alternatives I would have checked out the next day, but I stayed for a full week.

Check In took WAY to long. Over 45 minutes I had to wait as they were busy. They should have had more people working the front desk.

My room seemed ok, but it had lots of small problems like no soap for the dishwasher, the safety latches on the windows were missing, there were a few water marks on the ceiling, the toilet got clogged two times, the heating system/air system went from one extreme to another. I constantly heard people running in the halls.

The main gatehouse is where the meals were served and the pool. The pool area was tiny. The changing area was dirty and didn't have working lights. The food in the morning was standard quality food, nothing special. The dinner at night was ok.

I gave the property 1 star because of the staff attitudes. The staff was rude. All of the hotels in the area were booked except for this property so I had to stay there. As soon as I could I got out.

If you have children they do have a small play area and a grassy knoll for the kids to play on in addition to the standard play court that most Residence Inn's have.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay. After reviewing your comments it certainly appears that we did not meet your expectations. First I would like to say that it is my hope that you and your family have recovered from Hurricane Sandy. It certainly had an effect on our hotel. Please allow me to address your concerns. The rate you paid was the normal rate that the hotel offers. Our rates are based on your length of stay and day of arrival. I would like to apologize for the delay in getting you checked in. Due to the storm, staffing was limited as many were also affected. As I read through your list of complaints, I can understand your frustration. It concerns me that you say there were no safety latches on your windows, as all windows are equipped with locks. Safety of our guests and associates is a priority for the hotel. There is no excuse if you encountered a staff member that was anything less than professional, friendly, and with a service frame of mind. So I would like to offer my sincere apology if you felt my staff was rude. I would like to assure you that your experience was not the norm. We take pride in our facility and the services that we offer. If we fall short, we certainly hope that we are given the opportunity to make it better. We hope that you will stay with us again.