“Do Not Stay Here, Headaches”
Review of Hilton Parsippany

Hilton Parsippany
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Parsippany
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 31, 2009

So, I decided to book a room for my girlfriend and I at the Parsippany Hilton. It was in a nice centralized location for the business and personal matters that we both had commitments for last week. The hotel itself is nice, and the room is clean and spacious, but to be fair, for what they want a night, isn’t that expected?

Our problem came in the form of a rude Bartender with horrible customer service skills, and it is because of this person that I’m never going back to this place again, nor will I recommend anyone to stay at this property.

On Thursday night, my girlfriend and I were coming back from an event we were attending and were a little hungry. We thought it would be nice to stop off at the lobby bar and get some apps and a bottle of vino. When the $54 bill came, at 10:46 PM by the way (keep 10:46 PM in mind) my girlfriend suggested we split it, so we both handed our credit cards to the bartender, Bill. Here is where everything went downhill. For over 20 minutes, Bill had his back to us as he tried to figure out how to split the check among two cards, kind of strange considering this practice happens every day and I can’t imagine that my girlfriend and I were the first two people to ever request Bill for a split check. Our questions to him asking if everything was ok were unanswered as he kept his back to us, literally scratching his head and mumbling to himself. Since my girlfriend was very familiar with the system they use to ring up bar purchases, she offered to show him how easy it was to split a check, but Bill never turned around to acknowledge us, much less offer an apology for the wait or a customary drink on the house. Instead, after twenty minutes, he turns back around and presents us with two receipts to sign for the split bill, the only problem was, Bill put both charges on my girlfriend’s card!! At this point, we were obviously annoyed and after my girlfriend reluctantly signed both receipts, she went to the front desk to see what they could do and I dashed to the ATM to get cash to give her for my share. Went I returned with the cash for her, I saw that the front desk had given her a breakfast card for two for the next morning, but as we went up to the room and settled in, the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to return the card. Simply put, I can buy my own breakfast without the Hilton handout, and frankly, if breakfast was anything like our late dinner, we decided it would be better to go elsewhere.

I walked back downstairs to give the breakfast card back to the front desk, and told them thank you but no thank you, we were going elsewhere. It was at this point that Bill the bartender approached me with a $32.33 receipt to sign. Apparently, Bill took it upon himself to run my card which was already in the system, thereby in his mind splitting the check. Bill said he ran it because of a conversation he had with a gentlemen named Jimmy who works at the front desk, the only problem was no-one ever consulted me about running my card and why would he run my card again after the check was paid?! At this point, I’d like to ask you who is reading this, what do you call the practice of taking something from someone without asking them? That’s right, it is stealing, or at least that was the definition of it when I was raised, but I guess that’s not how they see it at the Parsippany Hilton, why else would Bill the bartender do that, must have been part of the training. So, I see this receipt and ask Bill why he did that, reminding him the bill was paid, again Bill had no answer, only to say that Jimmy at the front desk told him to. I told Bill I wasn’t signing it, and went back upstairs to my room.

Five minutes after getting into my room, I mentioned the most recent conversation I had with Bill to my girlfriend, who looked at me like I had 5 heads. She prompted me to open my laptop and check my bank account, telling me that a slip doesn’t need to be signed to be charged. When I went to my bank’s website, I saw that there was yet another charge to my card, this time the amount totaled $32.09 thanks to Bill. Keep in mind that this was the fourth charge Bill ran, two slips to my girlfriend for the original check, one charge to me for $32.33 and another one for $32.09. So, down to the lobby we went , laptop in hand and at 1:30 in the morning (remember the 10:46PM original order time) my girlfriend and I met with Rick, the night Mgr. and John, the food and beverage manager. The four of us sat down to discuss what had happened and asked for an explanation. It was at this point that Bill the bartender decided to speak over everyone, and kept repeating “just refund it, just refund it”, the only problem was that there was no way to tell what cards the refund was going to, not to mention the two other charges of $32.33 and $32.09 that Bill rang up that there was no slip for. I guess at this point I should mention that between the time Bill showed me the receipt to sign for $32.33 and the time that my girlfriend and I came back downstairs for a resolution, the $32.33 slip had mysteriously disappeared and Bill at this point was flat out lying that he ever charged anything. Lucky for me though, in front of his two managers Bill stated that he did run my card for $32.33 because Jimmy at the front desk told him to, when I looked at Bill’s managers and explained that my card was run without my approval or knowledge, they conceded it was not the right thing to do, especially since when asked, Jimmy at the front desk denied the entire conversation. It was at this point that Bill, still on the job mind you, decided that it would be best to start pouring himself glasses of Vodka to drink, I guess the Hilton okay’s drinking on the job as well. I also think it’s funny that Bill suddenly had all the answers to fix the situation, when it was his carelessness that put my girlfriend and I into this 3.5 hour debacle. So now, here we both are, with money in our bank accounts that is frozen thanks to Bill’s repeated charges and refunds, this is money that we will both be without for several days as the transaction is reversed on the bank end.

To be fair I should say that Rick and John did everything they could in a very professional manner to resolve the issue, our money for the meal was refunded, I was not charged anything for the stay and apparently my Hilton status will be upgraded, although I haven’t seen any paper trail on anything yet, I just have to keep an eye on it and take their word for it I guess. As I told the people at the Hilton, because I am honest and don’t believe in being fake, I am never going back to that Hilton again, nor will I recommended it to anyone. If anyone I know books a room there, I will strong recommend that they cancel the reservation and book at a nearby hotel. The bottom line is that a person like Bill works there, so how do I know that the entire hotel isn’t suspect?! If anyone has seen the movie Casino, they will remember the scene where Robert Deniro tells the slot manager that he is either in on the fix, or is too stupid to see the fix happening, either way he is out. That is my feeling towards this Hilton. Nice rooms are a dime a dozen, any bozo can work a vacuum, in this day and age it’s customer service that separates the good from the bad, and even though my girlfriend and I were treated professionally during the resolution of the issue, it is something that should never have happened in the first place. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Bokia

Reviewed March 2, 2009

I was there once, during a convention . . . hotel and staff were great. However, I just booked again, and reservations got my check-in date wrong. I was told I had 2 options: pay for the extra day or cancel.
Unbelievable.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 10, 2008

Friends of ours had their wedding reception at this venue, and we got a hotel room for the night. Check-in was superb -- they allowed us an early check-in and had a crib delivered to the room immediately for our little one. The only negative, not really a big negative because it did work, but the air conditioning system seemed a bit outdated. We had a great stay and would definitely return, especially if the group rate applied regularly. On a side note, our friend's reception, which was downstairs, was nice. The service staff was professional, friendly and efficient. We also used the lobby bar. Nice atmosphere!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2008

There were 69 in our group - 34 children and 35 adults. The Hotel was ideal for our large group. We were all put on the one floor which was a great help. The Reception, Bar, Waitresses staff were all so friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough for you.

Amy Handlin from the Hilton looked after our group throughout our stay and obviously dealt with issues arising before, during and after our stay. She was so helpful and nice and nothing was a problem to her. She organised a Karoke for the girls with only a few hours notice. She also organised a celebration cake for the girls on winning their U17 and U14 Gaelic blitz International Title in Gaelic Park.

The swimming pool was very nice with a lovely Jacuzzi and there was a small Gym beside the pool.

The only downfall of our holiday was upon arrival there was a Halloween Convention in the Hotel. Lots of weird people dressed up on the Friday/Sat/Sun which was a bit scary for some of the children. So if your thinking of staying in the Hotel avoid the Halloween weekend.

It is about an hours drive from New York City. The Hotel do provide a courtesy bus to and from the Metro station.

Overall I would recommend the Hilton to anyone travelling to New York and especially to large parties.

Thanks to all at the Hilton for wonderful memories and a great weeks stay in their Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed November 3, 2008

The rates at this hotel are great (the AAA price was $89/night) and the room was comfortable (decent size, comfortable beds, very clean). However, you will need a car to get around, as it is located in an industrial complex right off a major route/local highway. Also, there is no sound proofing at all between rooms, and they stuck us on a floor with people who were there for a wedding in the hotel. The guests from that wedding were up loudly talking, slamming doors, and even drinking in the hallways until 2:30 am. Overall, it is a decent bargain hotel in the area if you have a car and ensure that you are not there during a large function.

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed August 10, 2008

I found this hotel to be very noisy. I could hear everything in the halls, and outside my window. I barely was able to sleep at all. What concerned me the most was one afternoon when I returned to my room, housekeeping had propped the door open after they finished cleaning the room. I found this to be very scary that anyone could have walked into my room, and stolen my property. I emailed Hilton, and other than a reply that my message was received, no one ever contacted me. I dont understand why they were not able to leave the door closed, after they were finished cleaning?

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed June 8, 2008

The purpose of this trip was to take my sister away from home and to help her relax by the poolside for her birthday. I checked in to the hotel at about 4:40-5pm on May 25th. The girls at the front desk were unfriendly and certainly unwelcoming. I specifically selected the room rate that included breakfast and when I asked what time breakfast was the one girl blurted out "Breakfast is not included with your room". I proceeded to tell her that I booked a room that DID include breakfast and then she did realize her mistake and did not apologize. Then I also requested a 1pm late check-out. She directed us to the incorrect elevators which in the end made us walk around the hotel when our room was on the side of the hotel by the front desk. But on the second floor. We dropped off our belongings and headed outside of the hotel to eat. When we got back we wanted to take a dip in the hotel pool. When we got there and there was a sign on the door stating that they had just completed a chemical treatment. It did not signify when the pool would re-open. My sister went back up to the room because I had arranged for a massage therapist to come and relieve her stress. In the meantime I waited downstairs for over an hour and a half for the pool to re-open. It still was out of order by the time that my sister was finished. So I went back up to our room and when she was ready to go swimming we headed back down to the pool. It was finally open but with a million people in it. If the hotel knew that there was going to be a lot of guests, why didn't they wait to treat the pool? Anyway so by this point we are totally disgusted and we just go back to our room. We decided that we were going to order some dessert. We got the brownie sundae dessert and when it was delivered...the ice cream was melted all over the plate, the brownie was stale and it was completely disgusting and definetely not worth $14. We watch some tv and then we go to bed. In the middle of the night someone walked into our room and replied "oh sorry". Then at around 9am a housekeeper just comes barging through the door without a knock or anything. You would think that the first housekeeper would have told the rest of his co-workers that there were still guests in the room? Yeah Right. About 4 other housekeepers kept walking in on us sleeping. Now keep in mind we did request for a 1pm late check-out. I wrote to the general manager and he has yet to contact me. Yesterday I wrote to the corporate offices and hopefully I will get a response sooner then later. Overall this was the worst stay I've had in my life in a Hilton Hotel. Would I recommend this hotel to my friends and family? Absolutely Not.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Ashley82488
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parsippany
Sheraton Parsippany Hotel
#4 of 16 in Parsippany
Hanover Marriott
Hanover Marriott
#2 of 6 in Whippany

Been to Hilton Parsippany? Share your experiences!