“horrible service and the giant prices”

Sheraton Parsippany Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Parsippany
new york
“horrible service and the giant prices”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

When you think of Sheraton , you accept something a little more upscale, THIS IS NOT THAT SHERATON. If it had another name maybe it would be acceptable but it is a sheraton. Only one staff member was courteous a deaf gentleman in the front desk, besides that no one else. I am very saddened at how the staff is completely not trained. ALSO the pool they have a section with "swim noodles" my 6 yr old took one as did other kids then a woman comes in yelling those are for swim class only give them back. As a parent I believe in teaching my child sharing. The rudeness of this woman is disgusting and you shouldn't have a pool lesson that takes half the pool on the shallow end and leaving all the young kids that can not swim in a deep end and you cant even give them a noodle???? WE ARE PAYING GUESTS for the NIGHT not some people to be treated as second class citizens. I am very upset that we pay to stay at a facility in the winter specifically to use a pool and then not to have access to it. or the any of the equipment they have on display. Thats is just cruel and mean. WHich is what i would describe the staff as. I would rather stay at a holiday inn Express then there. The rooms were recently updated and very nice BUT its time to re vamp the staff and the swimming lessons..are you a HOTEL OR YMCA????? Still angry that I wasted my money to enjoy a pool for my kid and got "kicked" out because my 6 yr old cant swim and needs that shallow end. and they are so rude Im disgusted. ... I want what I pay for a Sheraton not a motel in shape of a castle.

Room Tip: DONt STAY HERE...that the best tip.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jonellyn
Sheraton_Parsippany, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Parsippany Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you for the great feedback you have provided. This level of detail is important for us so we know exactly how we can improve for the future. Our Health Club and Pool are operated by a third-party and we are following up with them to discuss your experience. As operators, we take our relationship with our guests very seriously and it is evident that we fell short, and for this I apologize. Our goal is for every guest to have an unbelievably positive experience while staying with us and you sharing your experience will allow us to follow up and ensure that our commitment to our guests is followed through.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this further. You can reach me in the Executive Office at 973.560.5110.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Oakton, Va
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I have driven past this hotel for years (I used to live in New Jersey) -- it is somewhat of a landmark -- but have never visited the property until this stay. Yes, the faux castle architecture is somewhat odd, but not unattractive. I booked my room through Hotwire for a one-night stay on Easter Sunday (for a Monday morning business meeting a few miles away). I read some of the previous Tripadvisor reviews and assumed I would find a somewhat tired property with poor service. For the price I paid on Hotwire ($66.00 plus taxes), I would have been OK if this had been the case since I really only needed a place to spend the night. However, I was most pleasantly surprised by my experience. As those of you who follow my Tripadvisor reviews know, I was trained in the hospitality industry (B.S. in hotel administration from Cornell University) and am a tough (but, I think fair) reviewer of hotels and restaurants.

I checked in at 11 P.M. on Easter Sunday (2012). The young lady working the front desk (I assume, the night auditor) was very pleasant, friendly and efficient. She checked me in quickly and answered the one question I had (the location of the nearest gas station) accurately.

My room (438) was very spacious and spotlessly clean. All elements of the room were in perfect condition. The room had a king-sized bed and a sofa (didn't check to see if the sofa was a fold-out bed as well because I was alone on this trip). The bathroom was recently rennovated to Starwood's typically high standards (although without the special shower head that one finds in many Starwood properties). The towels were large and of the thick quality one expects at a 4-star business hotel. The charge for the Internet was $9.95 for 24 hours. I know that many Tripadvisor reviewers take issue with this, but it has become standard practice at business hotels over the past 8-10 years, so I was fine paying the fee. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were high quality. This room would have met the standrads of any Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt or other Starwood property. Interestingly, Hotwire rated the hotel 3.5 stars which I think is unfair -- I have booked many Hotwire 4-Star stays and this property is certainly up to Hotwire's 4-Star standards.

At least one previous reviewer commented that the lobby and public spaces were somwhat of a let-down. I'm not sure what promted this comment. The lobby is large and well-appointed, although the layout is a bit different from that at many hotels -- the sitting area is separate from the rest of the lobby and is called the "Living Room". I had no reason to use the lobby, but observed that it would be a comfortable place to sit with others if one needed to. In fact, the "Living Room" portion is like a large manor house type living room with a fireplace as a focal point. The furniture appeared comfortable and in pristine condition.

I did not use the restaurant or any of the other amenities, so cannot comment on them. The hotel has a gym, but I didn't see it.

Although the hotel is in a suburban area, they have an all-night security patrol in the parking lot. While I briefly wondered if this meant they have had past security issues, I appreciated the added sense of security this provides and chalked it up to management thoughtfulness.

My check-out experience was flawless -- taking all of 16 seconds. The front desk had two staff members on duty and there was no line.

Whatever issues previous revieweres may have had with the hotel, I can say, without equivocation, that my experience was perfect in every way. From the friendliness of the staff to the condition of the public spaces and, most importantly, the condition of my room, this property is up the standrads of any 4-Star business hotel at which I have stayed (and I have stayed at more than I care to count).

I am hoping that management comments on this review and lets others know whether all of the hotel's rooms have been rennovated to the same standards as Room 438 -- but if the answer is "yes", I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this property to anyone looking for a business hotel in this area of New Jersey.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Sheraton_Parsippany, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Parsippany Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
On behalf of the Sheraton Parsippany, we would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and had positive interactions with our team members! At this time, all of our rooms have been newly renovated and each of our guests will get to experience the revitalization that has taken place over the past 5 months. We strive to ensure that each of our guests has a memorable experience while staying at our Castle. Again, thank you for your feedback - we are happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations!

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Sheraton the next time your travels bring you to the Parsippany area!
Virginia
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in March - great hotel! No signs on ongoing renovations - everything we saw was nicely done! Nice room, comfy beds, lots of pillows!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our renovated hotel and guest rooms! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us!
New York
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This building is really different, like someone was going to build a castle, changed his mind, and made it into a hotel, We have a bizarre pie shaped room which as big enough fo one night but just one tiny window in the room. Bed was comfortable, room was poorly lit but from what could be seen it seemed clean. Front staff spoke not one word when checked in, no hello, ID please, thank you. Got our kkey card though as we know the ropes and requirements.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would like to sincerely apologize that the service you received during your stay did not meet your expectations. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me in the Executive Office at 973.560.5110.
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I stayed two night at the Sheraton in Parsippany for busniess. The hotel and grouds are clean and the floor I stayed on had been remodeled. The rooms had new flooring, walls were redone, bathrooms were new except the tub while the HVAC unit was original but worked fine. Not sure how old the hotel was but I am sure it needed a make over and it appears a lot of money was put into the renovation. The front desk staff was friendly and knowledgeable and the room included a free breakfast where the wait staff was fast and friendly. The exercise room was a helath club that was most likely owned separate from the hotel as it was large with a lot ofo equiment but also a lot of people there. It has weights, machines, cardio, pool, hot-tub and racquetball as well as classes going on. I did not have issues finding equipment or space to work out. The only down side to the stay was the elevators as they were original and they were very slow. I think some of them may not have been running yet as they had 5 or 6 elevators but it seemed like only a few were opearting-that or they were just slow, not sure. The room price did not include internet and I think it was 9.99 per device per night which that is something that always bugs me about hotels and why they cant include this in the price of the room and let unlimited device connection. There are several restuarants close by but none within walking distance so keep that in mind. Overall a good stay and if th elevators get fixed up then that would be the last item to work on based on my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the elvevators as the hallways are really long and you might be a long dist...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Sheraton_Parsippany, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Parsippany Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a positive review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Parsippany Hotel in the future!