“Almost left in the middle of the night ...”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Parsippany
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Parsippany
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Almost left in the middle of the night ...”
Reviewed July 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on our trip to New York City. The hotel was very difficult to get to, as the surrounding highways are a little tricky to navigate. We had to turn around several times to finally get to the hotel ... but that was mostly our fault.

We got a room on the third floor and immediately unpacked and tried to settle in. I pulled back the sheets and was pleased to see no evidence of hair - but instead we found old blood stains. We just took the other bed instead. (Had a room with 2 Queens). The sheets looked like they had been washed - but the blood stains grossed us out.

Within minutes I started getting sick. Being 9 months pregnant, I am very sensitive to smells. I noticed this when I traveled to a Roadway Inn back in January - and the rooms hadn't been renovated since the hotel applied a no-smoking policy. I called the front desk to see if this hotel used to allow smoking - and indeed they did. I asked to be transferred to a room that was always non-smoking, but the staff didn't know which rooms used to be smoking/non-smoking.

We gambled it and transferred to another room. This time when I pulled back the sheets, I found an old urine stain on the side of the sheets. I was disgusted - but we were so tired we just decided to try the other bed. This one had old blood stains in it as well. We took the one with the blood stains. The bathroom had pubic hair on the floors, as well as mold in the grout of the bathtub. My husband had to use his inhaler to try and breathe, which I've only ever seen him do a handful of times in the years I've known him.

Around 12:30pm I woke up feeling feverish. I lied in bed for about 2 hours before finally waking my husband and telling him that we needed to leave. I couldn't handle being in the hotel any longer. He took me outside (yes, at 2:30am!) and we sat in the car for about 30 minutes until my symptoms disappeared. Fresh air cleared it right up!

After talking about what to do, we went in and asked the front desk if they could transfer us to another hotel or refund us our money. After describing our situation to him, he decided that he was not able to transfer or refund without a managers permission, but he tried to switch our rooms yet again. With no other options but sleeping in the car, we decided to transfer one last time.

Thankfully, we were placed in a room that did not make us sick. While there was still leftover pubic hairs and mold (and some in the A/C too - because the room smelled like cat urine), we were able to finally sleep through the night. The one bed had leftover crusties in it - I asked the front desk to come and take a look so they knew we were not making it up. I think he made of a note of it.

The front desk left a note for the manager, asking them to refund us our money for that night.

The next morning, we didn't have a "do not disturb" sign on the door, so housekeeping came in. They did not replace the crusty sheets - instead they just made the bed. I don't know if that's standard or not. ?

Overall, the staff was really nice. They were very understanding and they DID refund us our money for that night, no questions asked. We felt that they worked hard to accommodate our needs - and make it right for us.

This hotel just needs to be renovated and more diligent about housekeeping issues .... but the staff was wonderful to us.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I was really disappointed with my experience at this hotel. The first thing I noticed was that the bathtub had a lot of mold in the grout, and hair in several areas of the bathroom from previous guests. I thought about checking with the front desk to see if I could get another room, but was just too tired to deal with it. To make matters worse, when I pulled back the sheets to go to sleep, there were dried blood stains on the top sheet-- right toward the top of the sheet by your face. I thought of going to the front desk, but I had already changed into my night clothes and didn't feel like hassling with it, so I just reassured myself that they'd obviously been washed and were not unsanitary... just not what you would expect at a Fairfield Inn. I was about to flip the sheet around, and there were even bigger ink stains at the other end of the sheet. I can somewhat understand housekeeping not noticing the faded blood stains, but the ink stains were very, very obvious. As someone who used to work in the hospitality industry, this is just unacceptable. To make matters worse, the bed was extremely uncomfortable, as were the pillows. There was a huge sinkhole in the bed, and the pillows were obviously old too. Another big disappointment was the cable tv. Since I was on a business trip and not a personal trip, my only entertainment was the television. I'm used to hotels having HBO and many other premium channels in addition to cable channels. This one only had 29 channels-- several of which were hotel advertisement channels. I couldn't even watch my favorite basic cable channels like Bravo, the Food Network, TruTV, etc. There is not a restaurant in the hotel, so you will have to order takeout food from local restaurants if you do not have transportation, which leads into my next complaint... I used the shuttle during my entire stay to get to/from my office, and the shuttle was significantly late picking me up at the hotel in the morning and picking me up at my office in the evening every time except once (even though I scheduled them in advance). One time it was an hour late, and although that particular front desk clerk was kind and apologetic on the phone when I called to see where the shuttle was, he said he'd explain the mixup when I arrived at the hotel, yet no one was at the front desk when I returned. [I would like to note that another employee who worked at my business office stayed at the Embassy Suites for the exact same corporate rate (and the Embassy is a 3-star hotel instead of a 2-star hotel), and the Embassy shuttle was there like clockwork to pick her up every day at 5:00, while I had to wait until 5:30 one day, and 6:00 another day to be picked up.] So in sum, the dirty bathtub with mold and other people's "body hair" in multiple places upon arrival, the blood- and ink-stained sheets, the extremely low number of television channels to watch, the very late shuttle, (oh-- and housekeeping forgot to empty the trash on the second day, so my smelly takeout food containers were there waiting for me when I got back from work)... I definitely will not be staying here again when I return for my next business trip in a couple months. This was really disappointing because I always recommend the local Fairfield Inn & Suites in my town when guests are visiting and those rooms are much cleaner. This Fairfield Inn severely paled in comparison. Maybe I just got a bad room and caught some employees during a bad week.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Standard run of the mill Fairfield Inn, you need to remeber that this is the low end of the Marriott chain. That being said the hotel was clean, the staff friendly and the hot breakfast was actually very good. The woman that takes care of the breakfast is proud of her work and it shows! She checks on the diners and is very careing. The front desk staff is also very accomodating.
Remember that the internet AND the breakfast are included in the rate, all in all a good value.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
dheinlein, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Parsippany, responded to this review, June 18, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel; we’re so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks too for recognizing the front desk team and Divina at breakfast, she loves taking care of “her” guests and this made her day! Hope to see you again soon.
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed October 21, 2009

This hotel is well run & always kept up to date. The rooms are always clean & comfortable. The continental breakfast is well stocked, appetizing & a welcome service for those traveling & on the road. I stay here several times a year & the service & quality are consistently high. It is a little tricky getting to & from the parking lot due to the highways & its location. The staff are always respectful, friendly & supportive. They make it easy for travelers to take care of business & find a good place to relax & recharge for the next part of the journey.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Montreal Quebec
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I sleep at the Fairfield almost every week because i do business in the Newark Nj area and i have to go down there every week.
This hotel only 20 minutes away from Newark.
Very close to interstate 287 and interstate 80 wich are 2 major higways so access to the fairfield is easy.
You dont see or hear any road noise from the hotel.

It s in a very decent neighboorhood...Nothing to compare to Newark.
The main reason i choosed this hotel is because i have to be in Newark early in the morning and i looked for a place in a decent area where i feel safe to sleep over but not too far to drive to Newark in the morning.

Clean and quiet hotel in a safe place...Nothing fancy but nice modern rooms and WONDERFUL REAL BREAKFAST not that cheap continental thing but a real breakfast with eggs sausage and hot stuff with real plates!!!
Staff is very nice and helpful/professional.

The bad:No restaurant in hotel
No smoking rooms

I highly recommend this hotel for people who have to travel to NYC or Newark area in the morning.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Canadianguy_9
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 20, 2009

We were looking for a Marriott property on our way to the Poconos in PA from the Montclair, NJ, area and The Fairfield Inn fit our requirements. It was our first time at a Fairfield Inn, though we had stayed at most other Marriott brands before. The price seems to be a bit lower on average than other Marriott brands, so we were prepared for a small step below in quality.

The hotel was a bit hard to navigate into--we drove through a poorly marked office building lot to get to the hotel lot--which seemed to be in the middle of nowhere (at least at night when we arrived). But check-in was a breeze with a very pleasant desk clerk/manager, and the room was surprisingly roomy and comfortable--especially the mattress. I don't know if the hotel recently has had a makeover, but if not it has been kept up very well.

In the morning, the complimentary continental breakfast area was large and spacious, and despite the typically large crowd that appeared an hour before it closed down, there seemed to be enough tables for all. The variety and quality was a step above what we had expected. Checkout was a breeze.

For the kind of "way station" property we were looking for--a place to pull into, get a good night's sleep, and take off in the morning--the Fairfield Inn was a very pleasant surprise. I will not hesitate to consider staying at Fairfield Inns for this type of travel in the future. The good night's sleep is the key.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Skippack, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 11, 2009

This was a quick overnight stay to attend a business meeting in Parsippany. A good stay for the price. The bed was very comfortable, the linens new, clean and crisp. Nothing spectacular about my stay, but nothing to complain about either. I received a very friendly greeting upon check in. Breakfast buffet (included in the price) offered a full choice of pastries, eggs, fruit, cereals, etc. Free parking is a plus!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business