“Clean but poor service”

Hampton Inn Parsippany
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Parsippany
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We are currently staying here and are disappointed that at 2pm our room is still not made up. We were told that the front desk must be notified if we want the room made up earlier, otherwise it will be late afternoon. The breakfast serves only margarine, no butter and there was no sugar this morning. I acknowledge that the area is recovering from Tropical Storm Sandy but two other chains where we stayed ( as storm refugees!) had butter, sugar, good tv reception and timely room straightening. They were also earlier in the storm recovery and cheaper.

• Stayed: November 2012
Michael D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Parsippany, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear MLaker - I appreciate the review of your stay at our hotel. I apologize that you are disappointed in the level of service you are receving during your stay with us post Hurricane Sandy; We hate to disappoint any guest and I assure you our team is doing their best to provide the quality service expected despite the unusual circumstances. I have shared your concerns regarding butter and sugar with my breakfast team. Additionally regarding housekeeping services, I do apologize for any inconvenience having your room serviced in the later part of the day has caused you. Our team services up until 4:30PM. If you would like a specific time of service, please let the Front Desk or myself know and we will do our best to honor that timeframe. I am very pleased to know you are finding your stay to be comfortable and clean. I have also shared these comments with our Housekeeping Team. If there is anything my Team or I may do for you further, please just let us know. Thank you again for your review, enjoy the rest of your stay with us!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

It wouldn't be fair to try and review this hotel so quickly after Hurricane Sandy blew through the area, so take any negative comments with a grain of salt.

From the minute I stepped through the doors, I was treated kindly. Sandy had just come through about 5 days prior, and it disrupted a ton of the amenities that this hotel normally offers: Ice machines on the fritz, breakfast buffet and breakfast 'to go' items, limited housekeeping staff, internet access out, inability to charge some items to your room, etc.

These are all things that were honestly out of the hotel's control. If a housekeeper can't get gasoline and can't get to work, you can hardly blame the hotel. In fact, you should probably thank those who could get to work for showing up.

So, what *could* the hotel control? Their response and ability to adapt. They were careful to point out items that were 'abnormal' so that I wouldn't be surprised later. They were helpful with arranging fliers for other restaurants, since theirs was challenged by the inability to accept credit cards. Most of all, their attitude was impressive. They smiled through a very difficult situation and apologized for things they didn't need to.

The breakfast buffet was fine, for what it is. Their ability to find alternative internet access for their business center was helpful for those who needed to print boarding passes. And most of all, they (as I've found Most Hampton's to do) ensured that I was greeted warmly and addressed by name. They followed up by asking if there was anything more that they could do to enhance my stay, and they were accommodating to all guests and issues that arose.

So while things weren't at their peak at this hotel during this immediate post-storm period, the staff more than made up for what they couldn't control. Hats off to them for keeping a stiff upper lip, and smiling their way through!

Room Tip: This property sits BEHIND the Hilton. The signage isn't the best to direct you there, but once t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Michael D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Parsippany, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear fortwaynegordo - Thank you so much for your positive comments and review regarding your experience with us post Hurricane Sandy. As you could tell as the week went on, you began seeing less and less team members due to the inability to get gas. So I agree, any team member that did make it to work post storm was absolutely thanked by me. (But I'm sure it will by more meaningful to them for reading comments such as yours) Thank you for understanding some of the challenges we faced and reviewing them with a logical approach. We did keep everyone as updated as possible when it came to information, so I'm glad it reached you as intended! I look forward to an opportunity for you to return without a hurricane and have an even better experience that this one! See you on your next trip to the area, until then safe travels!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I started staying at the Hampton Inn instead of the Hilton when they were working on the Hilton. The Hampton Inn works for me. The service has always been great and the rooms clean, with fresh linens (I always request them anyway). Rooms were clean and got decent sleep. I found it quiet at the end of the hall away from the Hilton. The hotel's driver took us to nearby restaurants all week. Thank you!

Room Tip: I chose the end away from the Hilton for quientness. If you arrive without a car, you can ask the h...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Business Enthusiast - Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. It is always a pleasure to read when all areas of the operation are delivering what we promise we will. Our Team Members work very hard to provide you with exceptional service and cleanliness and I thank you for noticing them! I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back when in the area on another Business Trip... until then, safe travels!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

My company stays at this Hampton Inn all the time due to its close proximity to our corporate offices. When I initially tried to book with my group, I wasn't able to make a reservation due to their block-out dates (high volume so they won't book you for fewer than 4 nights - I was the only member of my group that needed only 3 nights). This was a huge inconvenience, but then the block-out was apparently dropped a week later so I was able to make my reservation. What a pain to have to jump through hoops just to try and stay with my group.
The hotel is so-so compared to other Hampton Inn locations. You do get the benefit of the Hilton amenities here - larger fitness area, bar/restaurants. However, the room itself looks like it could use a reno. The rooms are a bit dark, the bathroom ceiling is peeling, and it feels a little dated. However, I did find them to be spacious and very clean.
Breakfast is great, although the last morning they were out of yogurt and the blueberries they always carry - too bad they couldn't have just restocked from the nearby grocery store.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Megan T
Michael D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Parsippany, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Good Afternoon Megan T - Thank you for taking the time to review us and for our comfort and cleanliness rankings! As you stated, we are a high volume hotel and our inventory is constantly changing. I apologize you had a difficult time trying to get in for your JH training. If that happens again in the future, please give us a call to see how we may help resolve it for you. Certainly don't wish for anyone to feel they've needed to "jump through hoops" to stay with us. I'm very happy that our shared facilities, guest room space, breakfast experience, and cleanliness were all positive take aways! We look forward to having you back with us the next time you're in for training. Please introduce yourself the next time you're in! Until then, safe travels...

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was on a bus trip with my church and this hotel easily took care of nearly 100 of us! We stayed on two non-consecutive nights, going to and returning from Cape Cod. On both visits, the check-in process was easy and quick.

I was very pleased to see that ALL the bedding is washed EVERY DAY, including the Duvet covers! No bed bugs here!

We really enjoyed the coffee pot in the lobby at various times of the day, and the breakfast was tasty!

Room Tip: There really isn't a "room with a view", but who cares? I was there to r-e-s-t!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Good Afternoon Tandor - Thank you for such great comments and ratings! I remember your group, especially after you were all caught in the rain the 2nd time in. I'm glad we were able to get everyone in so quickly so they could get out of their wet clothes! I happy our sticky note program is spreading the message on our cleaning services and that you can see the difference. As for a room with a view...I can't help fix that in the future - but I am able to continue providing you with a clean, restful evening! Thanks again for your review, and we look forward to having you back on your pass through to Cape Cod again.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed here two nights in the span of a week. Each time, room was immaculately clean (I'm so freaked out about potential 6-legged nocturnal visitors that I tear things apart to check mattresses and boxes) and blissfully quiet. Breakfast is nicely done. Front desk staff polite. Only complaint is that we did not like the post check-in phone call up to our room to ask how things were because we were exhausted and trying to get to sleep when the shrill room phone rang. I know they're trying to provide good service, but after checking in bleary-eyed on a Sunday night each time, we just wanted to crash in peace. Trust me, if there's a problem, I'll let you know. Fortunately, there was not.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Mercurius_1 - thank you for taking the time to review us so highly! Believe me, we too are "freaked out" when it comes to the thought of someone bringing in those nocturnal visitors. We are very proud of our housekeeping team and the job they do for us. I do apologize our courtesy call disturbed you. In ensuring our high level of service, we may need to look at the timing of our calls in order not to disturb in the future - thank you for letting me know. Again, we are very appreciative of your comments and reflected scores - I will share this with the team! We always will take "immaculately clean" and "quiet" any day! Please see us again when in the area.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Nice hotel. Indoor pool and hoot tub. Breakfast was included with some proteins and cooked oatmeal with nuts and fruit to add to it. I enjoyed a great cheeseburger in the restaurant and the restaurant manager was out greeting customers and engaging in friendly conversation. I only rated average because I did have a couple of issues come up with my room. When I brought it to the attention of the management they were very nice and did fix one of the issues but I did end up checking out after only 4 days of an expected 11 day stay because of the other.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Osborn007
Michael D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Parsippany, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Osborn007 - Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am very pleased to know that you felt our team was friendly, engaging, and helpful. I am sorry you felt the need to change your plans while with us and I hope the rest of your travels to NJ were pleasant. As I stated when we spoke, should I be of further assistance while traveling to the Morris County area, please let me know and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hampton Inn - Parsippany in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Parsippany
Hampton Inn & Suites Parsippany/North
Sonesta ES Suites Parsippany
Sonesta ES Suites Parsippany
#2 of 16 in Parsippany
HYATT house Parsippany/Whippany

Been to Hampton Inn Parsippany? Share your experiences!