“A slightly different take on Indian fare”
Review of Amiya - CLOSED

Amiya
Cuisines: Indian, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: New location. They have another location in Jersey City, NJ which has been on TripAdvisor for a while.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The first thing I noted was the background music -- none of the traditional Indian music you typically hear. That took away from the ambiance but it was all up from there. The dishes they serve are traditional but each seemed to have enough of a twist to make them interesting. The food was all prepared well and very tasty. The service was very attentive. At one point they had messed part of our order up with a soup. It was a very minor inconvenience but they brought us a container of the soup for free for us to take home -- impressive. The decor has an Indian flair but is very elegant and modern at the same time.

1  Thank RoyLScam
There are newer reviews for Amiya

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Food is good and had a good variety of vegetarian and meat dishes. I was on the veg meal plan and was satisfied with what they offered. The naan was the best - fluffy and warm. They give you more than the other places. My friend came back the next day and he was surprised that the buffet dishes were completely different, which makes me want to come back.

The drink menu is interesting, especially some local non-alcohol drinks. My friend tried one that had a salty and cumin flavor that I didn't like, but our Indian friend said that it was good on hot summer days.

Decor is ultra modern and classy as this used to be an Italian restaurant.

1  Thank Tinyee H
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I believe this used to be an Italian catering hall or restaurant previously. The thing that sets Amiya apart from the mutlitude of other Indian restaurants in the area is the ambiance and decor. Very pleasant looking bar that looks more like a nightclub than a restaurant. Dining area is off to the side and nicely appointed. One could have a nice, romantic dinner sitting in one of the curved booths.
Amiya serves up an impressive variety of Indian food to choice from. I've been four times--with indian friends, and each time someone remarks in surprise in about a certain dish "I haven't had this since I was a kid" or "my Mom used to make this" etc.....
They even prepare non Indian food (Sesame Chicken was fantastic).
They serve up doas--ok. I think their Naan is overcooked and get hard really fast.
Food has been inconsistent, watery Makhani at times.
Overall, a nice place, good dining experience. Definitly a place to bring a date or someone who's never had Indian food as it offers up a great variety. Always nice to have an alcoholic beverage with dinner too! I will say this is the best bar at an Indian Restaurant in NJ.

1  Thank dwrrn
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I would have liked to see the restaurant in person, but I didn't have that opportunity. Instead I will describe the food I got delivered.

Crab cake appetizer was extremely delicious. I admit, just by looking at it, it didn't look like it was going to be as delicious as it actually was.

Murgh tandoori chicken tikka style was the best I have ever tasted. The chicken was so tender and spiced very well. Tasty roasted garlic naan.

I also got the Parda amiya biryani rice with chicken. Had I known beforehand that the tandoori chicken was of a much higher quality and better taste than the chicken used in the biryani rice, I would have ordered the biryani with only vegetables. I just took the chicken pieces out of the rice, and mixed in the delicious tandoori chicken, for a very enjoyable meal.

I ordered one of each of the dishes mentioned. This was enough for both me and my boyfriend to share for dinner that night, AND I had a bit of leftovers the next day. Of course this is because my boyfriend did not eat a lot that night, but it still went a long way and we were both more than satisfied.

My boyfriend said it was some of the best Indian food he's had in a long time.

I highly recommend this place.

1  Thank sacredphi
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I am sorry I don't get out more. This restaurant was a spur of the moment turn off Rt. 46 West Bound. I am happy I made the turn. I was amazed to say the least when I entered and just loved what I saw once inside. I stopped for lunch and they have a buffet which was plentiful and the host, a gentlemen in a suit (imagine) no sports attire. I was seated in a lovely and spacious, yet intimate dinning room and selected a white wine (savignon blanc) which came to the table almost immediately while I was selecting items from the luncheon buffet. $9.99 per person. More than fair for what is offered. The downside of the wine was 1/2 glass which seems to be the way the majority of restaurants are now serving wine by the glass. I think that's unfortunate for the customer. The staff were all low key and soft spoken and made the entire experience a lovely journey. The food, the cleanliness, the ambiance, the service were all what one would hope for when dining out. The bar/lounge was impressive and beautifully lit and I would love to go back in the early evening for a further look. I loved trying different items and sauces and can only hope to become more knowledgable about the cuisine. There are many Indian restaurants in the area, but this one will remain on top of my list. It's a special place.

1  Thank Sara V