“My go-to for Indian” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Parsippany, New Jersey
“My go-to for Indian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Food is good and had a good variety of vegetarian and meat dishes. I was on the veg meal plan and was satisfied with what they offered. The naan was the best - fluffy and warm. They give you more than the other places. My friend came back the next day and he was surprised that the buffet dishes were completely different, which makes me want to come back.

The drink menu is interesting, especially some local non-alcohol drinks. My friend tried one that had a salty and cumin flavor that I didn't like, but our Indian friend said that it was good on hot summer days.

Decor is ultra modern and classy as this used to be an Italian restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Tinyee H

new jersey
“Atmosphere is tops, food decent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I believe this used to be an Italian catering hall or restaurant previously. The thing that sets Amiya apart from the mutlitude of other Indian restaurants in the area is the ambiance and decor. Very pleasant looking bar that looks more like a nightclub than a restaurant. Dining area is off to the side and nicely appointed. One could have a nice, romantic dinner sitting in one of the curved booths.
Amiya serves up an impressive variety of Indian food to choice from. I've been four times--with indian friends, and each time someone remarks in surprise in about a certain dish "I haven't had this since I was a kid" or "my Mom used to make this" etc.....
They even prepare non Indian food (Sesame Chicken was fantastic).
They serve up doas--ok. I think their Naan is overcooked and get hard really fast.
Food has been inconsistent, watery Makhani at times.
Overall, a nice place, good dining experience. Definitly a place to bring a date or someone who's never had Indian food as it offers up a great variety. Always nice to have an alcoholic beverage with dinner too! I will say this is the best bar at an Indian Restaurant in NJ.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank dwrrn
New York City, New York
“Delicious food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I would have liked to see the restaurant in person, but I didn't have that opportunity. Instead I will describe the food I got delivered.

Crab cake appetizer was extremely delicious. I admit, just by looking at it, it didn't look like it was going to be as delicious as it actually was.

Murgh tandoori chicken tikka style was the best I have ever tasted. The chicken was so tender and spiced very well. Tasty roasted garlic naan.

I also got the Parda amiya biryani rice with chicken. Had I known beforehand that the tandoori chicken was of a much higher quality and better taste than the chicken used in the biryani rice, I would have ordered the biryani with only vegetables. I just took the chicken pieces out of the rice, and mixed in the delicious tandoori chicken, for a very enjoyable meal.

I ordered one of each of the dishes mentioned. This was enough for both me and my boyfriend to share for dinner that night, AND I had a bit of leftovers the next day. Of course this is because my boyfriend did not eat a lot that night, but it still went a long way and we were both more than satisfied.

My boyfriend said it was some of the best Indian food he's had in a long time.

I highly recommend this place.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank sacredphi
Cedar Grove, New Jersey
“What a find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I am sorry I don't get out more. This restaurant was a spur of the moment turn off Rt. 46 West Bound. I am happy I made the turn. I was amazed to say the least when I entered and just loved what I saw once inside. I stopped for lunch and they have a buffet which was plentiful and the host, a gentlemen in a suit (imagine) no sports attire. I was seated in a lovely and spacious, yet intimate dinning room and selected a white wine (savignon blanc) which came to the table almost immediately while I was selecting items from the luncheon buffet. $9.99 per person. More than fair for what is offered. The downside of the wine was 1/2 glass which seems to be the way the majority of restaurants are now serving wine by the glass. I think that's unfortunate for the customer. The staff were all low key and soft spoken and made the entire experience a lovely journey. The food, the cleanliness, the ambiance, the service were all what one would hope for when dining out. The bar/lounge was impressive and beautifully lit and I would love to go back in the early evening for a further look. I loved trying different items and sauces and can only hope to become more knowledgable about the cuisine. There are many Indian restaurants in the area, but this one will remain on top of my list. It's a special place.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Sara V
Montville, NJ
“Nicer atmosphere than many”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

We've been to Amiya twice now in about the last 3 months. Food is of high quality and presentation is well executed. Selections on the menu are organized well and diverse. Portions could be a little larger and the drinks are too pricey. We don't appreciate going out to have a nice meal and have to remember that our bill will escalate if we decide we we'd like to enjoy a glass of wine or possibly cocktails. Service is very good and the waitstaff are courteous and knowledegable.There is a choice of different naan varieties which I had never known existed. All terrific. The one with figs is outstanding. The vegetarian dishes and "non veg"selections are equally delicious.

The outstanding aspect of this restaruant however it's beautiful atmosphere that includes wonderful lighting, spaciousness, quality fixtures, and a wine room and bar apart from the dining area but attractive and viewable from your table. You will be able to sit with relative privacy if you'd like or in the more mainstream area that is well suited for larger parties/families etc. Parking is not a problem.

The only issue with us is that this area has a good choice of Indian restaurants, all of which are good albeit not as nice in atmosphere, however with the competition, one would hope that they could increase the size of the portions or lessen the price of the entrees. All in all, a nice restaurant, nice patrons, and nice hoast and waitstaff.

• Visited December 2012