“nice rooms but...”

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Parsippany
Las Vegas, Nevada
“nice rooms but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed here July 7th, 2012. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable so overall, a pleasant stay, however... When we first arrived there was a horrible stench in the lobby that smelled of sewage. Gratefully the smell did not carry into our room on the third floor. The front desk staff is very nice here and hopefully the smell was a problem they took care of.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Millville, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

There was a nasty odor that greeted us when we arrived. Smelled like a lot of disinfectant and old gym socks. Our room was adequate but we had to move because of a plumbing problem. No problem to move except we were moved into a room with a stained mattress dotted with blood stains. It was apparent that bedbugs had moved into the room. We asked for another room and were given an upgrade at no additional cost. The upgrade included a jacuzi. The mattress was clean, we were on a different floor. The jacuzi was filthy. If it had not been so late, with us so tired from the two moves we would have left that night. We checked out early in the a.m. and moved to another hotel.
The staff was friendly enough but not surprised with mention of bedbugs. I can not recommend this hotel.
My cousins were staying in another room and moved twice because of bedbugs. They left in the middle of the night to a different hotel.
Overall a very disappointing experience and one that has not even been addressed by the Marriott staff though we wrote a letter of complaint.

Room Tip: Stay at the Candlewood Suites on Rt. 10. Spacious rooms that are CLEAN.
N Tonawanda
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

We booked this hotel twice, at a very good weekend rates, and overall, were satisfied. It has a nice lobby area and a very pretty courtyard. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. We usually like to stay at hotels with complimentary breakfasts, but we knew going in that Courtyard wasn't free. The $11.95 price tag for the breakfast buffet seemed a little steep, but there is a variety of places very near if you are on a budget.
One thing that we could'nt figure out was the awful smell that greeted us when we first entered the reception lobby. The front desk claimned that they had just been landscaped, hence the smell, but we returned thge following weekend, and the same aroma was present. Not very pleasant. At least the rooms were odor free.
We would probably return if our first choice hotels were unavailable.

Room Tip: First floor, especially near lobby, can get very loud with groups.
Vero Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed here after turning over our keys for our apartment. We were relocating to Florida, originally from Jersey and very familiar with the area. Very Safe, accessble location. We paid for breakfast which was more than decent. The made to order omelets were a hit. The only complaint I had was in order to get coffee, a server had to serve you. Needless to say, he was busy chatting and we had to locate it ourselves and serve ourselves. The courtyard is awesome(great for tanning, eating, green grass for children to play safely). The pool was smal but just enough, not too crowded. The hotel was peaceful and clean. Could use some updating but overall it was good. TGIF is within walking distance and almost every other major food chain is within a couple minutes driving distance. A huge disappointment was the fact that they only offer complimentary coffee certain times of the day unlike other competitors that offer coffee 24 hrs for their guest. They really don't offer anything that makes them stand out.If I ever had to visit home, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms on the ground floor have patio doors that lead right to the courtyard.
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

I would give this property 3.5 stars if possible, because it certainly is not just an average property as 3 stars would denote, and it yet has to fulfill its potential as a four star property as it still is in transition. First and foremost are the staff that I have met, as they are young and eager to please and be helpful to their guests. Kudos to front desk staff Leah and Mary!

New elements such as the new concept lobby, information board and restaurant are yet to be implemented and yet, the hotel is kept quite clean, there is new carpeting in the hallways, there are new treadmills each with their own TV monitors on offer in the gym and new bedding and flat screen TVs in the rooms, and some channels are received in digital high defintion as transmitted by the provider. It is true that both times that I have been at this property -- and I expect to again sojourn another two times before the end of this month -- the room furntiture has shown wear and tear with scuff marks and nicks, and yet, the rooms have been impeccably clean. I fully expect that they will be replaced with new furnishings in the future when the lobby renovations are completed to bring this property up to the new brand standard.

The recent reviewer who gave this property onlly one star divulges his dislike of the general area when he states that if you "must" visit the area, try the nearby competition. Methinks he doth protest too much, as displayed by his wholly negative review capped off by the nonsensical and absurd statement that the A/C smelled like urine. Not true. Instead, I have found the A/C to cool the room down very well, and I like to sleep cold. Although it is not whisper quiet, I can forgive its cycling if it does what it was intended to do, which is keep the room cool when I am there, and that it does its job admirably.

Although the bathroom is small -- as they are at most older Courtyard and Marriott hotels, the room had a new shower curtain on a curved rod and the vanity is outside of the toilet to provide additional space.

Finally, for most Road Warriors like myself, this property tries to go the extra mile for its elite members in the Marriott Rewards program. All elites, and i am a Platinum member, are provided upon check-in Monday thru Thursdays with a scratch off card, whereby they may win extra MR points, or other such bonuses that are not normally given by hotels in this segment of the market. As a Marriott Rewards Platinum member, I have to stay 75 times a year at Marriott family properties and I know the difference between a good and average property and this is no average property, as the curmudgeon from Belcamp, Md would have you think. I am in agreement with the poster immediately preceding me in this thread from Buffalo, who notes that he had a good stay here -- an you will too!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank OFTEN_HOMEBOUND
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

I was there on business in late May. The hotel is up to date -- modern and clean. Hotel lobby has a self serve bar area-- really cool. The staff was courteous and helpful. The hotel bedding was super comfortable. I had a great experience there -- I am reading recent reviews and my room was cleaned and fresh towels daily. The air conditioner can be adjusted and there wasn't any smells. I had business in the area so I can't comment on the conference rooms.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank drevossler
Belcamp, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

My family and I checked in on 26 May b/c we were attending a wedding in the area. We are actually still at the hotel, and I can't sleep so I decided to share my comments immediately. I disagree with many of the other post, which state that this property is Marriott quality, it's not.

Pros:
-Reception staff are very helpful and courteous

Cons:
-The rooms smell musty upon entering
-The entire property is old, requires updates and is not very well kept
-The bed in our room sinks in on one side and is not very comfortable
-Bathroom is small, unclean and in need of updates
-The cleaning staff are rude and acted as if we were in their way when passing the piles of dirty towels all over the floor in the hallway
-When running the ac unit it smelled like urine
-walls are very thin

I would never stay at this property again, and do not recommend it. Save your money, but if you must stay in the area, try the Hampton Inn or Fairfield located next door.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family