“Exceeded expectations!”

Gourmet Cafe Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 125 Restaurants in Parsippany
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are a small 48 seat BYOB restaurant. Chef/Owner Matthew Pierone has been named to Best chefs America (BCA) list since 2013. He specializes in fresh, creative Italian cuisine and is known for his Pork chops, fish and bread pudding. Outstanding customer service is a main focus at the Gourmet Cafe.
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I wanted to try a new Italian BYOB place in the Parsippany area, so I decided to try Gourmet Cafe Restaurant for 3 main reasons. First, the overall consensus on Trip Advisor was the food was excellent. Secondly, I wanted a good BYOB experience to share with a good friend and colleague from out-of-town. Finally, I was impressed that Owner and Chef Matt had previously responded to a number of the posted reviews, whether good or bad. To me, this demonstrated he is paying attention and cares about his business and service.

Based on other reviews, I made a same day reservation (for a Wednesday evening) and was pleased to be accommodated. I was happy I did this because there are only a few tables and all but 1 became occupied during our experience, another indicator to me that the food must be excellent as it was a blustery mid-week evening. My sense is there were a number of repeat visitors as around 2/3 of the tables had also brought wine for their dinners.

We were seated immediately and our wine was opened quickly. I was also pleased to see there was no corkage fee: they want you to bring a good bottle for a good meal. My friend had a Caesar salad and asked for anchovies which were brought promptly to accompany his salad. I had the Caprese salad which had generous portions of both fresh mozzarella and tomato. We also shared appetizers of broccoli rabe with sweet sausage and a scallop special that were both delightful. My friend had chicken saltimboccca which he declared to be the best he ever had. He shared a taste with me and I found it to be fantastic. I had the homemade cavatelli in the bolognese sauce which I found to be exquisite, maybe one of the better bolognese sauces I have ever had. We topped it with lemon sorbet soaked in limoncello which was both refreshing and delicious.

As our desserts were ordered, Chef Matt greeted us and asked about our experience. I told him it all exceeded our expectations, and I was able to compliment him not only for the food but also for his attentiveness in both service and on social media. In addition to Matt, he had 3 top staff people who worked together and hustled and provided nothing but a relaxed, courteous, and non-rushed experience. To sum up, I was beyond pleased as was my friend and I will definitely return, probably not soon enough!

2  Thank LoveMeGoodEats
MatthewP P, Owner at Gourmet Cafe Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit with us. I hope to see you again when you are in the area and I’ll have the O-Cello ready. Chef Matt

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My Mom had been telling me about this place for months, so when I came up from MD to NJ for a visit in August we went out to Gourmet Cafe for dinner.

The Chicken Saltimbocca was so tender it just melted in my mouth. It had just the right amount of sage and the spinach was perfectly done. All five people in our party were thrilled with their entrees.

Somehow Matt (the owner)found out it was my birthday and brought me a complimentary serving of their famous bread pudding. Woo! It was crazy delicious. Not just sweet but subtly spiced and nicely textured.

I've traveled all over the US and abroad and this little gem is as good or better than many "famous" places I've been to. Thanks for a great meal Matt!

1  Thank Carrie K
MatthewP P, Owner at Gourmet Cafe Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Carrie,
Thank you for visiting with your mother on your birthday. So great to hear you enjoyed everything, that is what it is all about for us.
I hope to see you when you are in NJ again, Chef Matt

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Our friends brought us to this restaurant, they had previously been here. What incredible friendly service, Truly gourmet meals and very comfortable atmosphere. Chef owned...His heart is truly in satisfying his customers with top notch meals...We can't wait to bring our family and friends to this marvelous place.....

1  Thank pat941

It was fun meeting you and your party. Thanks for the 2 thumbs up! That is better than Siskel & Ebert in my book. Chef Matt

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I was here with my family to celebrate my husbands Birthday. You can tell the food was well prepared , and the taste is excellent! service was very good also, the staff are very friendly. And don't forget you can bring your own wine which my in-laws love, aside from the food. Will recommend with friends and will comeback.

1  Thank Theresa F

Glad you found us and had a nice birthday celebration. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit. Thanks Chef Matt

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Small place in a little strip of stores. It was a recommendation by a friend who had been there and I am so glad. The pastas and seafood are very good. It is a BYOB place, so bring a bottle if you would like wine with your meal. The portions are generous, so we shared a salad and appetizer and dessert and each had our own entree. It was still a tremendous amount of food! Very good service. Small so reservations are recommended even on the weeknights as it fills up.

1  Thank Sue S