“Outstanding meal and lovely attentive service.”

Gourmet Cafe Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 124 Restaurants in Parsippany
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are a small 48 seat BYOB restaurant. Chef/Owner Matthew Pierone has been named to Best chefs America (BCA) list since 2013. He specializes in fresh, creative Italian cuisine and is known for his Pork chops, fish and bread pudding. Outstanding customer service is a main focus at the Gourmet Cafe.
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

The pasta with crabmeat and shrimp special was delicious as was the salmon. We are never disappointed with the quality of the food. Everything was excellent! However We were surprised that we were charged an extra $6. to split a salad. Maybe that's something new?

1  Thank lynnbrown68
MatthewP P, Owner at Gourmet Cafe Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Lynnbrown 68
I am glad to hear the food and service were good. As far as the split charge is concerned, you were over charged by $3. I will gladly refund your money when you return. We started adding a split charge on the salads late last year. The menu does say $3 to split any salad but the server should have informed you and explained that we do not charge to share a salad. Next time we can give you 2 plates and tongs. When we split the salads in kitchen we always give you more than a single salad and therefore the $3 charge. I do not like hidden charges myself so I do apologize for the surprise and the over-charge that occurred. Thank you for your patronage, Chef Matthew Pierone.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Like the last two reviewers, we went based on good reviews and were very disappointed. The service was a weird combination of too friendly and totally absent. We sat forever until our order was taken. The salad special was nothing special at all except for the fresh figs; the dressing on the side was tasteless and insufficient for the salad. Completely missing were the advertised dried cranberries. My companion's Four Cheese Ravioli was tasty, but my fish was definitely not. Also it was served on basically the exact same salad we'd already had--why didn't our server think to advise me of this? Boring. It soon became obvious that the groups of regulars received special treatment, including shots with dessert. So of course the regulars probably think this place is great. It's not. It's how you treat a new customer that tells the tale. Skip it.

1  Thank edahgal
MatthewP P, Owner at Gourmet Cafe Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Like you I am disappointed that you did not have a good experience here at the Gourmet Café. I will take your comments as motivation to do better moving forward. Thank you for taking the time to review us. Chef- Owner Matthew Pierone

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I decided to try the restaurant based on some of the reviews on Trip Advisor. When we arrived at the restaurant at 6:15pm the restaurant was mostly empty only a few tables had diners. We waited a few minutes for someone to seat us and a very rude girl came to the front and asked if we had a reservation (which we didn't) so she told us we couldn't be seated even though there were many empty tables. I explained that their website doesn't state reservations were required she just shook her head and said if we wanted to wait an 1 1/2 to 2 hours maybe she could seat us. At that point my wife and I hobbled out of the restaurant on our canes and left.

MatthewP P, Owner at Gourmet Cafe Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Partroy27
I want to apologize on behalf of my staff for what had happened the evening you had tried to come in. I am sorry that you have felt that my employee was rude to you. I have not trained them that way. In defense, I believe that she didn’t mean to have a rude tone, but she clearly failed to explain our diner policy. While we welcome “walk-in” customers we make every effort to have reserved tables ready. All those empty tables were reserved between 6:30 and 7pm. Many restaurants would have sat you and said sorry to the reservation that now had to wait. It is out of respect to our customers that we did not try to squeeze you in. I hope you understand that it is not that we did not want to seat you, of course we want to seat everyone who stops in but we only have 13 tables and 44 seats. (We do, on average, seat about 20 people a night who do not have a reservation)
I take pride that my restaurant is viewed by many as a place where people feel welcome and comfortable. So it is painful for me to see that this was not the case for you I am truly sorry that you did not have that experience.
Chef Matthew Pierone

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Picked this place because of all it's good on-line reviews. I'm suspect of some places that have over the top reviews that turn out to be average. Was it just a bad day or are most of the reviews bogus? Started with Gazpacho, the soup of the day. I've had better Gazpacho from my local Wegmans. The Gazpacho here was very watery, unlike any I've ever had before. I had the blackened shrimp salad with honey digon dressing. It was an okay salad with bland dressing. Cost me $12, which I could have made at home for $4. Two others with me had different experiences. One had the eggplant sandwich which she would rate a poor as she found it tasteless and lacking. The other had the lobster ravioli, which she really liked. Because of the mixed experiences at the table with the food, I would rate the place average. Certainly not "gourmet", even in Parsippany.

MatthewP P, Owner at Gourmet Cafe Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear John,
Thank you for trying us and for your review. We strive to provide delicious food to all of our guests. Please understand there is no hype on our end, just the opinions of other diners. We are humbly working each day to satisfy our customers. We apologize you did not enjoy all of your food here. Hopefully you will give us another chance to prove how good we can be. Sincerely Chef Matthew

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Thanks to Trip Advisor, we found this great spot to have lunch while traveling north on vacation. We both took the reasonably priced "businessman's lunch," which offered soup or salad along with a hot entree for $14. The tomato basil soup was excellent, and we enjoyed our choices of Mediterranean chicken and tilapia piccata; the accompanying carrots and garlic potatoes were also good and we happily finished everything. This Friday lunch was quite busy with a mix of single businessman, elderly couples, a small family gathering, and a group of women friends -- in this respect it seemed like a small restaurant in a European city, and the care taken with the food reinforced that feeling. We will be happy to return again.

1  Thank Pat800