“Nice hotel but in the middle of no-where”

Park Ridge Marriott
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Park Ridge
Ireland
“Nice hotel but in the middle of no-where”
Reviewed January 23, 2008

My husband and I were with a party of 11 people who had travelled from Ireland for a family wedding from 16th -20th January 2008. Our experiances of this hotel were mixed. There was a major refurbishment job taking place which we had been notified about before travelling and I think this was largely responsible for any problems we had.
Check-in day 1 was very delayed. Reception staff were largely unsympathic and dismissive. Although they were aware that we were arriving at lunch time and had to leave the hotel at 5pm to attend a pre-wedding reception and dinner, some members of our party only got access to their rooms at 4.30pm. How long does it take to prepare 5 rooms?
The water supply to some ot the rooms was cut off without prior notice on the day of the wedding which caused considerable stress. Reception staff were again very unhelpful and just shrugged as if this was an every day occurance. Our plight was only dealt with when we requested an appointment with the general manager. This should not have been necessary.
The hotel is clean and visually pleasing but is literally situated in the middle of an industrial park and is not within walking distance of any amenities. There are no shops, restaurants etc nearby however there is a free shuttle bus from the hotel to the centre of Park Ridge which is about a 15 minute drive away.
From there it is possible to get a bus into the city. The hotel had very limited information about this service. They only had information on the 11a bus which is a commuter service and takes one and a half hours to get in. They also gave totally incorrect information regarding departure times and venues from the city. We discovered by accident that there is an express service, the 47, that travels to the city hourly and takes 45 minutes. The shuttle bus stops running at 11pm so you need to organize taxi transport if you intend being in the city later than that.
There is a leisure centre and small pool at the hotel which I did not use.
Access to the local shopping centres is very difficult without private transport. Taxi fare to Garden State in Paramus was $35 + tax each way. To travel to Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall in Elizabeth it was necessary to take a bus into the city and then another bus out again.
Rooms were clean and bright, beds and bedding were very comfortable, shower was very good and nice products supplied.
Basically this hotel is ideal for corporate travellers attending business's in the industrial park. Would I stay here again? No, it was totally unsuitable for my needs. Would I recommend it to a friend? If it met their criteria, yes. Staff could do with some training in customer relations, 'have a nice day' is just words if not followed up with actions.The exception to this was Lloyd, the shuttle bus driver/porter, who was always pleasent and most helpful.

• Liked — Clean rooms, nicely furnished, comfortable bed and bedding
  • Disliked — Very inaccessable, no amenities nearby, limited information available from hotel staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 17, 2007

Had to travel to Pearl River, NY for business. Though the room's decor could use a little sprucing up (wallpaper peeling, cracks in the walls, carpeting quite worn), the improvement to the mattress is awesome! The mattress was firm, but was topped with a featherbed. The down comforter was covered in a pure, white duvet and I just read in Travel&Leisure that Marriott guarantees it's washed for each guest. I LOVE THAT. Usually the first thing I do in a hotel is remove the quilt/comforter because I've seen too many 20/20 episodes dedicated to how dirty hotel blankets are.

Shower had a giant shower head and water that got satisfyingly hot when I wanted it to. Shower curtain rod was one of those curved ones that gives you more room in the shower without having the curtain stick to you. Also, there was a heat lamp in the bathroom. Dig that.

A/C and heating control was digital and very responsive, though the fan on it was quite loud.

I did have to have an engineer come up and fix my sliding glass door--it was off-track and wouldn't latch. My room opened to a wooded area/parking lot below, so I also asked him to put the Charlie bar thing in. It had the brackets for it, why not the actual bar? He did so happily. It made me feel much better as a woman traveling alone to have the external glass door secure.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank Jsl108
atlanta, ga
Reviewed September 24, 2007

Park Ridge Marriott was a nice hotel as far as cleanliness and the hotel staff were friendly and helpful as they could be. This was my first visit to NYC and I wanted to save money and stay in Park Ridge. I called before hand and asked the staff about transportation from NYC to the hotel. I was made to believe that there was a bus that dropped you off right in front of the hotel and that this would be a convenient trip. This was not the case! The bus ride took about 2 hours to get to the city. When the bus dropped us off, it was not in front of the hotel. The hotel shuttle stops running at 11:00 so if you are trying to enjoy the city you better be prepared to have to take the one taxi they have in the city. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere with absolutely no mainstream restaurants in the area! I had to miss my 9:00 am flight because the first bus didnt' start running until 8:00 am. Trying to save a buck was really not worth it. You end up paying for it with all of the other expenses and being inconvenienced with the long ride from the hotel to the city. If you want to stay in park ridge and do nothing else then this is your hotel. If you want to visit the city frequently DO NOT stay here!!! I repeat DO NOT!

• Liked — The staff was friendly
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed September 18, 2007

I liked this hotel. It was located in a very park-like office complex not too far from the NY border and easily accesible via the Parkway. I found the room very clean, the bed very comfortable, the food wonderful and the work out room spacious. A bad point would be the front desk staff who I found aloof. As a business traveler, the lack of free Internet access is also unconvenient. But all together, I would go back to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2007
1 Thank MrEdnWilbur
Everywhere - I travel too much!
Reviewed July 12, 2007

I just returned from a business trip, that included a stay at this hotel. I am a frequent guest with Marriott, and it is my preferred brand, so I am usally biased and only have nice things to say about Marriott hotels. I believe so much in the Marriott experience that Marriott International is the only hotel stock that hold in my investment portfolio. I also hold shares of several real estate investment trusts, one of which is Host Marriott, which is the REIT that owns the hotel buildings owned by Marriott. Now that you have full disclosure, on with the review.

Check-in experience:

When I arrived at the hotel there were 3 guests ahead of me needing to check in as well. The hotel has a Marriott Rewards Elite check-in line, but that was not staffed, since there was only one individual working at the front desk. When I finally got to the front of the line, I was asked for my name, after providing it the desk clerk, identifed me as a platinium level guest and asked what I wanted for my arrival gift. He also provided me a card with a code for free internet access. The desk clerk asked for my credit card only, he did not ask for photo ID like the other Marriotts I normally stay at do.

Lobby experience:

The lobby was clean, and seemed to be well taken care of, though it looked like I stepped back in time at least 15 years by my calculation. Eventough this is only a 4 story building, the elevators were very slow. For the frequent travellers reading this review think slow like the Marriott Marquis in NYC or the Marriott Magnificant Mile in Chicago.

Hope you do not need a shoe shine, there is not shoe shine stand here. With the corporate offices of Hetrz, BMW North America, Mercedes Benz USA, Sony's US headquarters, all being withn walking distance of the hotel you would figure there would be a shoe shine stand. Went to CVS and bought a travel shoe shine kit.

Hallway experience:

This is were the property started to show it's flaws. The hallways were dark, the carpet and wallpaper were dated. The carpet were coming apart where at the seams from when it was installed and/or repaired. It was also very worn, faded, stained and looked like it should have been replaced years ago. The ice machines in this hotel are near the elevators, I would not recommend getting a room anywhere near them since the two on my floor were the loudest I have heard in a long time, I think this is a factor of the age, since they looked like thay should have been in the Smithsonian and not a Marriott.

Room Experience:

The old, worn and dated theme from the hall continued into my room. The furniture in the room looked to be in the 15-20 year old range. I made this guess based on the style and the wear. The dresser drawers were hard to open and seemed to be off the sliders, and the bottom of the drawers were mis-matched, some were white, others brown, either due to repairs or from combining drawers from 2 dressers to make one good one.

The room also had a distinct musty smell to it, I could not tell if it was coming from the air conditioning unit, the carpet or both.

The bed had the new Marriott bedding, all white, bed scarf and extra pillows. The bed on the other had was shot, the matress felt like a sponge, and in fact had no internal springs, just one big foam matresss. The box springs were also worn out . New bedding on old bed, can you say lipstick on a pig?

The TV was the typical old Marriott TV, has anyone seen these new LCD HD-TV Marriott has been heavily pomoting on TV? I have not come across a property with them yet.

The walls between the rooms are there for display purposes only. The guest in the room next to me had a conversation with is wife every night, and I heard is as clear as if he was sitting on my couch instead of the one on the other side of the wall in his room.

Nice balcony with a view of the woods behing the hotel. Would have been a nice place to hang out and read the USA Today and Wall Street Journal, but there was no chair on the balcony, or any other balcony from what I could see. Come on if the Courtyards can have chairs on the balconies, why not at this Marriott?

The desk was old as well but very functional, it is the two tiered desk where the lamp and phone are on the upper smaller desk and the lower, larger desk can be pulled out and rotated, so you can watch TV while you work. I have been to a few of the renovated Marriotts with the new desk that swivels, I loath these since they are sized smaller and I can not spread out 2 laptops and my paper work.

The lamp is hinged so you can move it in an and out, when doing this the whole lamp felt flimsy since it internal screw that kept everything tight must have loosed over time. When you would push the button to turn the light on the whole socket assembly would pop out the the base, causing a potential shock hazard. The socket assemble would not seat properly since it would no fit with the flourscent bulb assembly intalled in the lamp.

I had 2 phones in my room one wired, and one cordless, the cordless phone would not get a dial tone.

The internet CAT-5 cable was affixed to the desk by some plastic fixture so you could use it but not steal it. This is unlike most other Marriotts where the cable is in the drawer or closet. The bad thing is if you configure the desk like an "L" and your network port in your PC is on the farside from the cable, it will not reach. One last thing the cable was missing the little clip that would hold it in the PC. I left the cable pulled out onthe desk all week, the maid put it back each day, but never reported the broken clip to maintenance to get it fixed.

The desk chair, was old, faded, stained and would not lock into postion and would lean back too easily.

Internet connection speed was fine early in the morning and during the day. At night when all the guests were in their rooms it came to a crawl. I switched over to my T-Mobile cellular card and got a much betted response time. I ran the connection speed tests at --- and it returned a connection speed in the neighborhood of 189k, less than 4 times dialup speed. I was impossible for me to get any work done via VPN at night to my corporate office from the hotel, so I just stayed at the office later worked form there.

My last night there I reported the issue and within a few minutes a maintenance guy was there to replace the cable. When I asked about the worn carpet, furniture, etc. he said they will be renovating this hotel in the fall.

Room Service:

Ordered room service the first night there. My order took over 30 minutes to show up, this is a 290 room hotel, not a 1,200 room hotel it shoud not have taken that long. When the order did show up the burger was slightly warm and the fries were close to room tempature and soggy.

Bathroom:

The bathroom was a good size and everthing functioned properly but it could have been cleaner. There was mold in the corners where the tiles met the tub and mold all over the bottom of the shower curtain.

The towels did not follow the new Marriott standard, they are a biege color, not the normal white towels you would expect and they were thin and worn, the Faifield Inns I have stayed at in the past have had nicer towels.

Concierge Lounge:

Lounge was very small and always crowded for breakfast, there are only 4 tables, 2 small ones seating 2 people and 2 round ones seating 4 people. I needed to every day, ask someone if I could sit at an open seat at their table, during breakfast. It was not that crowded at night and findiing an open table was not a problem.

For breakfast they had the typical spread of fresh fruit, breads, pastries, juice, hard boiled eggs, etc. The scambled eggs were under cooked and runny every day I was there. The sausage was over cooked and chewy, the breakfast potaotes were very greasy, and bacon was in a serving dish with a good 2-3 millimeters of liquid bacon fat on the bottom. There was also smoked salmon out for breakfast, but by the time I had breakfast all that was left was a plate with a pile of lettuce and a few scaps of salmon.

In the evening they seemed to have some sort of pasta and some sort of fried appitizer each night, along with fresh vegtables and some cheese.

Both the morning and evening lounge attendents were very nice and social. They both had the same flaw, the inability to monitor the amount of food left and call down to have the kitchen run more up before it ran out. I got the distinct impression that the evening lounge attendant was affraid to call down to ask for replinishment of things that ran out.

Resturant:

One morning I was running late and the lounge was full so I figured I would grab breakfast at the resturant. Was seated and then went up to thte buffet and when I saw that the food there prepared exactly as the food in the lounge, I decided to eat at the office cafeteria, since I was not going pay for something that was no better than what I could get for free in the lounge.

In the evening the resturant is closed and the only option other than room service is an Irish themed pub that is the hotel bar. Walked in, looked at the menu and walked out. Mainly beacuse the place is wood panneled from floor to ceiling, and was very noisey, I prefer to eat someplace quiet and relaxing for dinner. What made the decisionnnnn final was the menu's lack of healthy options (read low carb and low fat). One funny thing is this is the only Irish pub I have ever been in that had an entire page of it's menu dedicated to the cuisine of Italy, in fact there were more Italian choices than Irish choices.

Restaurants in the area:

There are several very nice resturants in the area of the hotel. I only mention this because I ended up eating at them during my stay. Eating at these resturants shed some light into why the hotel's resturant was closed at night. I saw the hotels shuttle bus more often in these resturants parking lots at night than in the hotel's parking lot. It leaves my asking why would thay take bus loads of their customers along with their wallets to someplace that generates no revenue for te hotel.

Gym:

I was suprised to see the a well stocked fitness center, I was turned off by how cave-like and depressing the fintess center seemed but the funky smell sent me packing. I ended up just taking a jog outside.

Exterior:

The flowers and grass looked nice, but the building could use a fresh coat of paint.

This one makes me wonder. If you leave the hotel in the morning and want to walk along the sidewalk that is between the hotel and the parking lot you can't. Why not? Because the sprinklers are set to be on in the morning when guests are leaving the hotel, nice touch!

Fire Alarms:

The fire alarm system at the hotel went off twice while I was there. On the same night, once at some time after 1am and again sometime after 2am. I am a light sleeper so I heard the siren in the hallway. The thing that concerns me is that there is a fire alarm siren box in my room which failed to go off. So we have a combination of false alarms and malfunctioning sirens, the disrepair theme strikes once again. This time as a major safety hazard in my bookkkk.

The Waterfall:

One night during my stay the automatic front doors of the hotel were roped off with caution tape. I asked the hotel employee standing in the lobby what happen, the response was it rained and a drain was plugged on the roof and water poured into the hotel lobby

Hotel Management:

I spoke to several other frequent guest in the concierge lounge, some who even stay here every week for months at a time. I also spoke with at least a half dozen of the hotel employees.

The guests I spoke to have reported issues to the hotel management and standard response is "we are renovating in the fall", instead of addressing the issues now. As well as the general lack of customer service and attentiveness by the staff here.

The employees I spoke with at this hotel, about the condition of the property, all pretty much said the same thing. Management and ownership of the hotel have not been willing to spend money.

The Shocker:

Found out while staying here that the hotel is not only run by corporate (Marriott International) but is is also owned by corporate (Host Marriott). It boggles my mind, that his property is so run down and poorly managed.

Summary:

This is the first and last time I will ever stay at this property!!!

I know it will be renovated in the fall of this year, but unless Marriott steps in and replaces the managment and the staff this place will still have lackluster customer service and will fall into a state of disrepair quickly.

• Liked — Close to my corproate office.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank Wandering_Moose
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 11, 2007

I am actually fairly surprised by the few overly positive reviews for this hotel. We stayed there this weekend and it was ok but I wasn't overly impressed. I thought it was well below your typical Mariott quality. The positive points: the beds were in fact very comfortable, I found the front desk staff to be rather friendly, the common areas and the pub were very nice, and the buffet breakfast was very good. The negatives: the rooms were dingy and in need of refurbishment. Both rooms I saw had discolored stained carpet and areas of mildew in the bathroom and a funky smell. The outside needs to be updated as well. It was very motel looking. We had a patio but no chairs or anything for it although it wasn't likely we would have chosen to sit outside and stare at the parking lot anyway. In addition, we were there with a group from a wedding but the wedding rate was not honored (only about a $17 difference so not a huge deal but still annoying). The final and probably worst thing was that there was the largest bug I have ever seen in the room and a dead spider in the corner. All not very appealing in a place to stay overnight. I have stayed at many Marriotts and I believe it fell well below what the standard should be for a Marriott. The beds and friendly staff saved it from a worse rating in my book.

• Liked — the beds
  • Disliked — the dinginess
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rsb3
Forked River, NJ
Reviewed February 19, 2007

Great beds, great location, great restaurant (O'Toole's), great room service and a fantastic breakfast buffet! Absolutely loved this hotel and would recommend it to anyone travelling to Northern NJ.

JB

• Liked — The Beds!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Nanuet
Hampton Inn Nanuet
Hampton Inn Nanuet
#2 of 5 in Nanuet

Been to Park Ridge Marriott? Share your experiences!