“Not as great as I had hoped....”
Review of KIKU Restaurant

KIKU Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 143 Restaurants in Paramus
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We had my birthday dinner here. Too busy for my taste. People were waiting even with reservations. I was presently surprised however to have such a great hibachi chef who was truly entertaining and seemed to be the saving grace. The service is "meh" and the food was super salty. I was taken aback and just how salty it was. I did like the sushi as appetizer, it was very fresh and tasty. However, the dessert was pre-made or store bought and really was disappointing also. I don't know that I would go here again. Overpriced to say the least and mediocre at best.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

DON'T EAT HERE!!! IT'S FILTHY!!!!!

Tonight's experience was absolutely UNFORGIVABLE!!!! The chef was good, as was the food (not great, especially for the price, but good). However, a gentleman at the opposite end of the table became sick to his stomach, at the table, and it took ten minutes for someone to attend to the mess! THIS WAS NEVER EVEN SANITIZED!!! One of the busboys took a napkin and wiped the mess, which smeared it all over that end of the table, and then left the napkin there. No one used bleach, or ammonia, or any type of cleanser!!!

Another gentleman at the table asked for the manager, who was not interested in doing anything about this, nor compensating anyone at the table for this unbelievable situation. The staff was DEPLORABLE, especially THE MANAGEMENT!!!! We were given the check before dessert, so I handed it back to the waitress and let her know that no one asked if we wanted dessert yet. She said, "We have other people waiting so we are not offering dessert." I was APPALLED!!!! I said, "We'd like dessert." Then when I had taken one spoonful of ice cream, another waitress came and grabbed my dish, and then said, "Oh, you're not done." NO, I was NOT DONE, since my dish was FULL!!!!!!

Then I asked for the manager, who still didn't care about what went on at our table, and the mess that was still there, visible to all the patrons at every table. I asked the woman behind the register if she knew what happened at our table. She said yes. Then I asked why nothing was done and she IGNORED me, and turned her head, and walked away WITHOUT GIVING ME MY CHANGE FOR THE BILL!!! I said, "You didn't give me my change." She said, "I gave it to you." I said, "You know very well that you didn't." Then she took out my change and handed it over.

FILTHY, RUDE, DISGUSTING THIEVES, and I will NEVER eat here again!!!

1  Thank Staci D
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Lets get the negatives out of the way first..

The location on state route 17 south is not the 5th ave by any stretch but once inside you wont know the difference. The wait staff has something to be desired as they tend to be distracted,
lackadaisical and easily overwhelmed.. My recommendation is to order at the sushi bar as the chefs behind the bar are as good as any I have seen.

ok, that's done, lets eat..

Probably some the most creative, inventive and tasty sushi in northern New Jersey. The chefs all take great pride in what they do and it shows in every slice of fish. The super fresh fish and perfectly assembled rolls will satisfy the most discerning sushiphile

The chefs specialty rolls are all top notch in both assembly and flavor. A nice Sake selection adds to the experience with Jumai through Dai Ginjo choices.

You never feel rushed and can hang around eating and drinking for hours if you like. Beware that what tastes as good as NYC can cost as much. These beautiful slices of fish, rolls and small plates can add up quickly. It is this reviewers opinion that it is well worth it if you don't want to take the tunnel.

The space is very nice and open with plenty of room. there are banquet areas available upstairs which also looked very nice.

All in all you cannot go wrong with Kiku and you will certainly enjoy the experience.

Enjoy!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We have been going to Kiku for over 30 years, since before they moved to their current location. Our children always chose this restaurant for their birthday dinners. Needless to say it has a special place in our hearts. We went for dinner with our son who was in town for only a few hours. The service was good, but the food is expensive for the quality. Our shrimp was VERY overcooked! At the end of the meal our check came. We payed with credit card, and were told that the system was down and we would have to wait a few minutes. Twenty minutes later we were still waiting! Finally we went to the desk and they grudgingly ran the check manually. We will not be going back any time soon.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We have been going to this restaurant for few years now and the last time we ate here since last night was exactly 1 year ago. Kiku is a favorite for my son (Kiku was his very first teppanyaki experience 4 years ago) and we celebrated his birthday by going to a restaurant of his choosing. We didn't have a very nice experience last year and walked out saying we should never go back, but since my son wanted to only go to Kiku for dinner, we bit the bullet and headed over. Bad mistake!!! My wife brought some red velvet cupcake from Crumbs (his favorite) and a candle for after dinner and asked if that would be OK with the restaurant when we were being seated. The hostess first says it is OK to do, but a manager comes running in to cut her off and proceeds to tell me that they SELL cake and that we can't give our son the red velvet cupcake that we brought. I tried explaining that this is the only cake that my son would eat and it is his birthday. He then wanted to charge me $10 fee. Well, $10 isn't a lot of money and it won't kill us, but the fact that they were not understanding enough and also pretty rude about it upset us even before we took our seat... At this point, we were thinking of just walking out, but it was raining pretty heavily and just didn't work with our schedule to find another teppanyaki restaurant so decided to just stay and eat. The food was as expected (blah) and service was non existent at this point. We ran out of water half way through the meal and no one came around to fill our cups until we were ready for the check. If it wasn't for the fact that this was my son's birthday, the manager and I would have had more words and things could have definitely escalated, but I held it in for a peaceful dinner and actually walked out feeling good about myself for being able to do so. My wife (usually the cooler head between the 2 of us) actually said a few choice things to the manager on our way out. In conclusion, I have found other similar prices with much better food, with better service and cheaper prices (15% cheaper), so goodbye Kiku and I hope to never ever dine here again.

1  Thank Kenny11778