“Just okay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Hackensack, New Jersey
“Just okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

There are several good Cuban restaurants in the North Jersey area. Nothing really stood out here. The food was good, but the wait was long. The menu has something for everyone and the place is kid friendly.

Brooklyn, NY
“Cuban Food in Paramus, NJ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

We like Cuban food, so we were happy to see the sign as we drove by at supper time because Cuban rstaurants aren't plentiful in the vicinity. We had some trepidations because from the outside it looked like too many of the chain restaurants that have come and gone over the years (a la Chi-Chi's) and whose menus bore little resemblance to the cuisine they're meant to represent; we needn't have worried.

The short version: A good, clean, reasonably priced and interestingly decorated place to eat, especially if you enjoy Cuban cuisine. And, as it turns out, they are not part of chain. The décor is very cute (I say that in a positive sense) designed by a local artist who's designed other area restaurants.

The somewhat longer version: The have a broad range of Cuban favorites. We were not so very hungary, so I ordered a Cuban sandwich with maduros, (fried sweet plantains) and my wife tried their unusual "Vegetarian Picadillo Habanero"; we each ordered a side salad.
My sandwich was very good, the Cuban bread it was on was well-pressed and nice and crispy. My wife was very pleased with her vegetarian picadillo; she prefers eating vegetarian most of the time, and it is difficult to find on most Cuban menus, so she often opts for fish dishes, although she has certainly had regular picadillo, and knows what it tastes like. The vegetarian version made no attempt to disguise what it was, but she commended it highly, insisting I try it; I did and enjoyed it. Somehow it had captured much of the essence of picadillo, but the dish was based on various vegetables. My only complaint about my sandwich would have been that it was too big and too thick! If everything had been removed from it except the generous serving of roast pork, it would have been a well-stuffed roast pork sandwich. The maduros were very good; tender and sweet without being overly greasy as maduros can be. Service was pleasant, friendly, and efficient. We're not from the Paramus area, but the next time we're there at meal-time, we'll head for Dos Cubanos.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Elizabeth, New Jersey
“Horrible!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Went there for a family gathering this past weekend and was met with the waitress complaining about her other customers sitting at other tables. (Not a good start). Then I ordered a Mojito and was presented with a lemonade. We ordered chicarones de puerco and they were old. Our food order came 45 minutes after the appitizers. (Too much of a time gap for such an empty resturant) And when we needed refills for the kids drinks, she came out with the bottle of Jucie Juice and said " Now who else needs refills?) Wow, not professional. Overall, not a place to go to if you are looking for good food and services. Disappointing!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Montvale, New Jersey
“Mother's Day Menu! (If we have it you can it eat)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

This restaurant is huge and ill-managed and the food, if you happen to be lucky or your dish is not popular you might be able to taste it

We ventured to this restaurant looking for a place to celebrate Mother's day, my mother, my sister in law and I along with our children and brother, in total 8 people. It was only 3:30pm on a Sunday afternoon, and the place was packed on the outside, we decide to put our name on the list and waited, and waited and waited. This should have been our first warning signal, but we still continued on in our culinary adventure. After asking the maitre d' "Carlos" who was rude and couldn't give us the time of waiting, this should have been our second warning signal, we still decided to wait and after so many times of asking when? we finally got seating after an hour.

Fifteen minutes after we sat down, our waitress arrived to take our order. We began with the appetizers (the ones that were still available), and drinks which arrived another fifteen minutes later. We ordered our food, again one of the main courses "Lechon Asado" not available. My sister in law opted to order something else.

After another 25 minutes passed, our food arrived. all except mine and my mother's order "rabo encendido", neither did my brother rice and beans. I finally I spotted our waitress and asked her where our food was when we were told that they were out of our main course. I had already begun to expect as much, especially considering the fact that, in the 40 minutes I had been there thus far, nothing has gone right.

The manager who happened to be near by was approached by our waitress and when she explained the situation did nothing to rectify the problem didn't approached the table nor did he offered anything in exchange. Our waitress came and asked if we wanted to order something else, my mother and I opted for nothing, since everyone was almost done eating anyway.

Dessert was the same, they were out of all but two dished which we ordered and got totally something different because it was all they had.

Our bill came, as expected all items were charged not even get a discount on the sangria nor an apology for the way we were treated, or for the food that we wanted to eat and didn't get because they were out. OH by the way the tip was already included on our bill

We left as soon as possible and will never come back to this horrible ill managed restaurant.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
New York, NY United States
“Great food. Best part...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've been here a number of times and it never disappoints. The service is friendly and the food taste great. The best part is BYOB. Everyone knows that the majority of the bill is the alcohol portion. With byob, you save money and can splurge a little more on good eats.

The sangria is pretty damn good (once you add some booze). The chicharritas con guacamole is addicting. The ropa vieja is extremely juicy and the churrasco con camarones is by far my favorite dishes on the menu.

• Visited February 2013