“Great!”
Review of Hat City Kitchen

Hat City Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Hat City Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 41 Restaurants in Orange
Cuisines: American, Bar, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Forest Street
Transit: Highland Avenue Station NJ Transit
Description: Hat City Kitchen is an intimate restaurant/music venue located in The Valley Arts District in Orange, NJ. Serving Creole-inspired comfort food alongside jammin' music, it's a great place to enjoy food, music and drink. Featuring open mics, open jams and many regional artists, Hat City is a destination for a relaxing yet engaging environment. Rated a 3 star restaurant, Hat City is made possible by Hands Inc., a local non-profit dedicated to the revitalization of The Valley. As an extension of the Hands mission, Hat City's profits go towards further develop the area and support local artists.
Santa Barbara, California
“Great!”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Great chicken and waffles, shrimp in a creole like sauce with grits cakes, Cajun c.lam chowder, Belgian beer on draft and if you go at the right time Live Music. Try it you will like it.

Visited May 2012

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Not all it was cracked up to be”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I was dying to try this restaurant, so I dragged my husband to Orange yet again for what I heard was amazing Cajun and Southern food.
We started with the hot wings and they were just so so.
I ordered the pepper honey fried chicken with collard greens and my husband had the salmon with cole slaw.
The chicken was just ok as was the salmon. The collard greens were great.
We finished with the vanilla bean bread pudding which was tasty.
I was not impressed and was surprised that the bill was so high.
The music was loud and quirky and somewhat annoying.

• Visited April 2012
New Jersey
“A favorite in the neighborhood”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I have been to hat City Kitchen twice. The first time the service was not good. The young lady forgot to p[lace our order in the kitchen. However, the manager addressed the issue and made the rest of our evening very enjoyable. The second time we went was great. Of course I had a groupon. Patrick our waiter was fabulous. The food is good and homey. I have seen families eat here as well as singles. Children would probably love the mac and cheese. Ribs are always good. This place isnot far from my house. it is definitely a favorite.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank champagnewishes
Dumont
“Great southern cooking, excellent sound system good night out!”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Who knew? What a great find! Excellent food, a great sound system, and good service... in Orange NJ. We went there for open mic night... the talent was good (some better than others) but the food was awesome and service great. And venue terrific as hopefully more talent comes to perform. Kind of an oasis in Orange but worth the trip. Menu is southern cooking... yeah! Had the shrlmp and grits appetizer.. friend chicken was great as was the catfish... good craft beers on tap too!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank rbwriter
Charleston, South Carolina
“Awesome place”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Went to check out dinner with some friends, had been recommended to me by other family members and friends. We got lucky, originally wanted to go when there was music, nothing on the calendar the night we went. Thursday nights seem to be an open mike night, ordered dinner and the "house" band started to play. Great sound with some funk, rock and jazz. Dinner came and no one was disappointed, my 2 friends ordered the Babyback ribs and loved them. I ordered a special, smothered chicken, wanted to lick the plate so as not to miss any of the tasty gravy. House band changed some members and brought some amateurs up to sing for open mike night. Nothing amateur about the sounds I heard at all, wished I could have stayed all night to listen to everyone. Will definitely be back, likely again and again.

• Visited March 2012