“Great Food - Unsatisfactory Service and Atmosphere ”
Review of Thai Shangri-La

Thai Shangri-La
Order Online
Ranked #22 of 98 Restaurants in Old Bridge
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed December 1, 2018 via mobile

We have been here a few times over the past several years. The food quality has been excellent. The atmosphere was always dreary but it was more less than appealing. The chairs don’t have any support and the restaurant needs to be clean and painted. It really looks bad to the point looking like they are going out of business.

Here is what we saw during dinner. Their new dollar bills typically framed on the wall was duck taped on the wall. The picture frames along both interior walls were barely lit and wood frames needed paint and wood putty to cover the holes. Some decorations were coming away from the wall. The tables were scratched and worn.

The waitress took our order without asking if we wanted a drink order. So we ended driving water instead. The offered coffee and tea with desserts but not with the meal.

The portion size has been reduced appreciably since our last visit despite holding down prices. We both ordered the same meal - E3 Pad Cashew Nut. My ordered it with shrimp and my dish with scallops. My dish was served without cashews and it came with a brown herbal sauce rather than the Thai paste sauce. Not happy with their mistakes. The drunken noodle dish was not mixed with the chicken so everything was separate. Not good preparation despite the great taste.

In short, we were disappointed and plan not to return until changes can be made toward improvement.

Date of visit: December 2018
1  Thank windsgroup

Reviewed December 4, 2017

Been to this authentic Thai restaurant many times since it first opened. Flavors are spot on especially their duck entrees, the pad-see-u and their appetizers. The owner is married to a Thai lady who cooks the food. Being from Malaysia myself, I can say many of the entrees reminds me of the traditional styled-Thai cooking back home. If you're looking for an Americanized version of pad thai or tom yum soup, this is not the place. However, if you are willing to try some of the less well known dishes - and they do adjust the spice level to suit your palate - this place will not disappoint. Their Thai iced tea is awesome as well.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed November 4, 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is a hidden gem. My wife always visit when we want authentic Thai food. This small restaurant anchoring a small strip mall is located in the heart of Old Bridge township. The atmosphere is unremarkable and decor needs improvement but the food makes up the difference. It is served hot and fresh. The taste keeps you wanting more. It has just the right amount of sweetness and heat.

We typically order the drunken noodles to start along with tempura calamari. My wife ordered the special shrimp pad dinner and I had the pad salmon and cashew nut dinner. The amount of salmon was much more than most restaurants serve and it was cooked perfectly. At the end of meal, we were both completely satisfied. If find yourself hungry and looking for a great Asian food, come to Old Bridge, NJ. It's easy to there because it's in the heart of NJ.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed October 15, 2017

Great to have a good option for local Thai food. It's located in a small strip mall but inside the ambience is nice. Been here several times since first trying with takeout. Staff is efficient and the owner is almost always on premises. Look him behind the counter or bringing food to tables in his Hawaiian style shirt! The food is very good. Prices are slightly high but the portions are large and the food always come straight out of the kitchen piping hot! The spring rolls are a tasty appetizer, served with a sweet dipping sauce. I'm a fan of the Fried Rice with Pineapple (served with your chose of meat, chicken, tofu, seafood, or vegetable) and the Pad Z U, a flat rice noodle stir-fried with broccoli, carrot, and egg in sweet soy sauce (with your choice of chicken, beef, seafood, tofu, or vegetable.) I just wish they did small plates so one could share or sample a little bit of everything! My husband loves to get a Thai iced tea with dinner. It looks rich, is sweetened with sugar, and is topped with sweetened condensed milk over ice. I can see how it might combat the curried or spicy dishes. Delivery is available. Closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed May 13, 2017

Nice ambiance, food is delicious, friendly staff and excellent service. Reasonable rates. Wonderful dining experience.

Date of visit: March 2017