“Interesting for all ages !”

Sterling Hill Mining Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Step Into Earth Science.... Come take a ¼ mile underground walking adventure into the 4th oldest mine in the country and the last working underground mine in NJ. Most everything man made has something to do with mining. At the Sterling Hill Mining Museum well show you just how it's done. From drilling and blasting to the processing of the ore, we’ve got it all! While on tour you will see a mining equipment history display, a drilling and blasting demonstration and the world famous fluorescent "Rainbow Tunnel" where everybody gets to take home a fluorescent mineral specimen. Right here in NJ is one of the world's richest zinc ore deposits, the area boasts over 350 minerals, about 70 of which fluoresce. That's about 10% of the known minerals in the world right here in NJ. As well as the richest fluorescent mineral deposit in the world. You can collect minerals from all over the world, including fluorescence, yourself 7 days a week when the museum is open.
Sparta, New Jersey
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Interesting for all ages !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Interesting place where you will get to see some rare gems and stones from all over the world. You also get a great history lesson of the area and get to take home some fluorescent rocks home. There is a cool tour underground, so bring a sweat shirt or sweater as it is cold and wear shoes that are comfortable and you won't mind getting a bit wet. The tour guide was very informative and don't forget to stop at the shop before you leave and pick up some of the special "Franklin -ite" rocks.....as we were told it's very hard to find rocks like these anywhere else in the world. If you want them to fluoresce however, you will need a black light to see it, but if you don't have a black light they are still cool to collect.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank SO194

Hightstown, New Jersey
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Gorgeous gems!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

If you like looking at minerals, rocks and gems, this is the place to go. The tour of the old mine shaft was also fun. I was able to purchase some large, very cool rocks from around the world, at a good price. It is a little off the beaten track, but worth the trip.

Visited October 2012
Long Island, NY
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“A fun time for all !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

We (my wife and I) are very well traveled both in the USA and far beyond (6 continents), so we are both a bit jaded when it comes to tours of any kind.

We've taken a number of mine tours in a few states and they have been pretty interesting, but the Sterling Hill Mine Tour and Museum are in a class all their own.

I believe our tour guide's name was Tony and he was just the epitome of a great guide should be: Entertaining, informative, and able to straddle the fine line of keeping both adults and children of all ages not only interested but actively involved in the tour and the fun facts.

All told, the Tour was about 2 hours and those 2 hours went a bit too quickly. We would have liked to have been able to spend more time in the huge museum as well as the mind-boggling flourescent rock collection at the end of the tour.

The aforementioned rock collection (IMHO) is the best I've seen.
If you live in the NY Metropolitan area or are just passing thru, this attraction is well worth your time.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Sheldon L
NJ
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was initially hesitant to visit the Sterling Hill Mine because I thought it was geared more for children than adults. And since I was traveling without any children I wasn't sure it would be worth stopping. I have to say I am very glad I did take a chance. Our guide, Tony, was very informative and our entire group ended up having a great time. Tony managed to engage the children and adults at the same time. Our tour lasted just over an hour through the mine and all of us were given a souvenir rock to take home. Now if only I had the black light to make it glow like it did inside the mine. Of course the gift shop does sell the black lights for anyone that can't resist!

Visited August 2013
Clifton, New Jersey
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great place to spend a few hours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Tour was great...informative...my son loved it, he's 9 years old...my 7 year old daughter lost interest at some points but for the most part was entertained. They wanted to go to the dump to get their own treasures but the weather was not cooperarting and we arrived later than we should have.....a great place...glad we went...might have to return to go to dump...kids had a great time!

Visited August 2013