“Pleasant but very small”

The Inn at Ocean Grove
Ranked #2 of 19 Ocean Grove B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Pleasant but very small”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Ocean Grove is a pleasant beach town anachronism, a place where history is alive and maintained. The Inn has a pleasant staff, a good breakfast and a convenient location only two blocks from the Atlantic, but our room was positively tiny. At least we had a private bathroom which was adequate unlike some of the other accommodations in Ocean Grove, but it was difficult for two people to even move around in the room. We were on the third floor and the stairs are narrow and steep so a little difficult to lug our luggage up and down. We were there during a heat wave, and the airconditioning worked adequately to cool the room, but it was only a foot or so above the bed and it was a typical window unit in terms of noise. None of the windows in the room appeared to open so trying for the sea breeze was not an option. If you are new to Ocean Grove, many of the properties there have similar issues, and it would be a good idea to very carefully select your room, as there is considerable variation between rooms at this property.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Park Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This is a classic bed and breakfast -- charming, peaceful, a home away from home. Nice touches with wall decorations and themed rooms and very nice gardening added a lot. Our room was very clean (the "Tuscany room") and although not large, was adequately sized for 3. It's on a very quiet street, and even inside it was very quiet so it's a great place to relax. The breakfasts are great with a nice selection and really nice eating areas, both inside and outside (we were glad for the shaded seating outside since it was so hot during our stay!). We took advantage of the $5 beach passes which normally go for $8 at the beach -- every bit of savings adds up! The location is also really nice being a block away from the beach and a few blocks from the main street... we could park our car at the beach and keep our car there for days and have easy access to it at all times for storage whether we were on the beach or at the B&B.

We would definitely come back as well as recommend this place for couples or small families.

Room Tip: The steps to the 2nd-4th floor are narrow and kind of steep so keep that in mind if you're elder...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Superstorm Sandy knocked down the trees in front of this charming bed and breakfast but the buiding and staff are still in great shape.
We chose a room on the top floor with a panoramic view of the Ocean. After a brisk walk around town and a bowl of hot soup at Yvonne's Cafe we checked the TV room and found the place now offers Netflix on a big 32-inch TV where you can even view facebook and youtube.
After a peaceful night's sleep we had a delicious breakfast served by the innkeeper George who told us that new trees will be planted in the Spring to restore the charm of this charming property. We will definitely return in February when when the little town has its big Chocolate Lovers Weekend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Walking into this beautiful beachside home gave me a sense of calm and tranquility. The Inn keepers, George and Natasha, added to the charm and relaxation I felt as I was led to my room. It was a wonderful stay and I must say that the mood set by the staff made all the difference! Beautiful views and great care! I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to take a load off and bask in the sun. Tell George we said hi!

• Stayed December 2012
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Funny how people have very different experiences of the same place and people! It was recommended to me by a friend of a friend but i definitely would not recomend it to anyone. The female was slightly frosty although she perked up on my last day which puzzled me till the word - TIP came to mind!! I did leave a tip, just to be gracious but not because I thought it was deserved!

• Stayed May 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

My sister and I have just returned from a five day stay at The Inn. We had the most wonderful time. George & Natasha, the winter managers were perfect hosts and made us extremely welcome and went above and beyond to make our stay special. We were travelling to the MetLife Stadium for a concert and George took the time to get train times and make sure we knew where we were going. Breakfast was perfect with plenty of choice and you could help yourself to as much as you wanted. Our room was comfortable with a view of the ocean, absolutely beautiful. When we next return to the Jersey Shore, we will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed September 2012
Warwick, New York
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Upon arriving and walking in, we thought the B&B appeared charming from the outside and first floor entrance. However, after staying in the Savannah room I would not ever be able to go back here again. The room is smaller than the sitting room off of my bedroom at home, the room was kind of dusty and filter on the air conditioner looked as if it had never been cleaned. The air conditioning doesn't reach the bathroom (even on high) and this room is on the 3rd floor (and its summer) so it made it uncomfortably hot if you wanted to consider blow drying your hair. Also the bathroom there is no ventilation.. as the window had no screen, only a storm window so you couldn't open for fresh air. And there were only 2 outlets found by the bedroom dresser that were both needed (air conditioner & lamp) so I couldn't blow dry my hair next to the dresser either. The bed was soooo uncomfy and lopsided and springy and squeaked if you even sat on it and squeaked everytime you move! It became funny to us that we encountered so many issues with the place so we made the best of it. But then we both woke up with sore backs after the 1st night. So we left early and didn't stay all days. Another disappointment was that there was no tv in the room. I've never stayed in any b&b/hotel that didn't have a room tv. I did see that they advertized "The TV room" on the top floor so we checked it out and is far from romantic/cozy and definitely not private so you can't cuddle up and watch a movie up there either. There was also hair in our shower before we ever used it.. on top of the stained brownish/yellow shower floor. So I had to buy disinfectant before I could use the shower. Upon checking out we were not asked about our stay despite the fact we checked out early so I didn't complain and to be fair - I didn't give them an opportunity to fix anything. But even if we were offered a discount for next time or to stay that second night free, I still would have went home. Our bed at home is 1,000x more comfortable and I just couldn't wait to get home. On the upside, the porches are quaint and inviting and the beach is just a block or so away. I am rating as poor and not terrible because my friend did refer me here and she apparently really enjoyed her stay and the keeper was very nice and friendly upon arriving and leaving. I just need to speak to my friend to find out what room she stayed in and why we had such drastically different experiences.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple