“Lovely Place to stay in this quaint seaside town!”
Review of Laingdon Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ocean Grove
Laingdon Hotel
Ranked #11 of 19 Ocean Grove B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Had the great pleasure of staying at the Laingdon over the Veteran's Day Holday. Angie and Bill, the hosts, were delightful and the amenities of the hotel were well more than you would expect at a typical seaside resort. The bathroom was far above the average Inn/B&B. Their view of the Ocean is spectacular and only a few steps away! I will definitely make a return visit.

Room Tip: All rooms look great!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed October 30, 2011

I booked one of the balcony rooms for several nights at the end of September due to an event. Because the weather was cool, I didn't have to worry about air conditioning problems. I was told the A/C was having problems and there was a plastic bag covering the top of the antique bar below the A/C unit, but as I didn't have to turn the A/C on during my whole stay, no problem. Everything else in the room, including the TV, minifridge, electric fireplace, wi-fi, and plumbing worked like a champ, except for one bulb in the bathroom light fixture was out (not a big problem as there were other bulbs and several other light fixtures in there).

The furniture in the room was Victorian-style and the room was very lovely and clean. The bathroom appeared to have been very recently updated and had a great shower, sink and power-flush toilet with excellent water pressure on everything. The room's balcony opened right onto the fabulous ocean view and you can eat breakfast out there. Bed was very comfortable and I enjoyed the waves lulling me to sleep every night.

The hosts, especially Bill, were super friendly and welcoming. Bill even offered to carry my bag upstairs despite the fact that I was late checking in due to transportation problems and he had to wait up for me. (Note that there is no elevator here and a lot of stairs, so you probably don't want to bring lots of heavy luggage.)

Breakfast is buffet-style serve yourself, and was pretty basic - coffee, cereal, fruit, toast, juice, English muffins, and a few pastries. No hot food items and most of the dishes provided are paper plates and bowls. So it's not a fancy breakfast but is fine if you just want to have something to get you going. Because it was after Labor Day, I was able to just cross the street and be on the beach without buying any sort of beach tag. The Ocean Grove shopping district is just a few blocks' walk away, and Asbury Park is about a mile's walk or bike ride down the boardwalk.

Housekeeping was pretty good although I noticed that the sheets did not seem to be changed at all during my stay even though after the third night they were getting visibly a little grubby.

The room was a little pricey but given that it was a premium room with private balcony, and that the entire accommodations in both Asbury Park and Ocean Grove were sold out while I was there due to a major Convention Center event, it was decent value for money. I would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Bunnydots
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I should have trusted my instincts and cancelled our two night reservation after reading the reviews of this hotel. We reserved two rooms on the top floor ocean front. Not even a "hello" upon checking in. Both the man and the woman seemed irritated to have to check our group in (rented three rooms in total - 6 people). Got to our fourth floor rooms on a 95 degree day to find they had left all blinds open and not turned the air conditioning on in either room because "most people like to open the windows and let the breeze blow through". Not a good start, I was afraid - especially after they told me the AC in one room leaked "a little" and they were aware of this (the little turned out to be enough to soak 2 towels they laid out to catch the drips, the plastic bag covering the wooden sink top, part of the floor rug and a nearby chair!!). I had to wonder, at the price I was paying, why it had not been fixed. The rooms were both over 85 degrees when we arrived so, we turned the AC on high and left to find a cooler spot. The rooms eventually cooled down enough to sleep around 1:00 AM. Breakfast was 2 kinds of boxed cereal, warm OJ, 2 kinds of muffins (they were good) and really bad coffee. We paid for beach tags and asked about chairs/umbrellas. Again, the owners seemed annoyed to answer any questions (never did tell us they had complimentary beach towels) - to the point that when they thought I had gone back upstairs to get my son, they actually proceeded to talk about me! I stood listening (amazed that asking a simple question made me a bad customer in their eyes) and thought about several things I could do, but decided to simply step back to where they could see me. The silence and the looks on their faces was kind of priceless when I stepped out from the stair area and they realized I had been there all along - no apology or anything, but hopefully a lesson learned for them (although I doubt it because they really seemed all about the money and not about the service or experience they could/should provide their customers - in fact, they seemed to wish they didn't have customers). For the amount of money this place charges, we have had really nice high end beachfront hotels with staff who treat you well and appreciate you being there - these owners need to move on or retire or find something they enjoy doing because this is certainly not it! It's too bad, really, the hotel could be beautiful if maintained better (for example - we found someone else's sock that the cleaner missed and our balcony gate was locked with a zip tie!) and could be the real gem of this sleepy town with owners who understand the value of the people paying to stay there! First negative experience we have ever had at a B&B type establishment and first negative review I have ever written in over 30 years of regular travelling. Enjoy the nice beach but stay somewhere else, you will be glad you did:)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
9  Thank Penne W
laingdonhotel, Manager at Laingdon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2011

We are sorry that your stay with us was less than stellar. We take pride in our many return customers who stay here in beautiful Ocean Grove. Our Air Conditioners are indoor mounted and drain through our walls. We have had only one area of our building effected by leaks and have had several technicians in to fix them. Yes the high humidity doesn't help and we don't leave our air conditioners running all day awaiting arrivals. We apologize for the conservation of energy that we must take. Our breakfast is limited to cereals, oatmeals, fresh fruits, toast, yogurts, Green Mountain Coffee and muffins and danish. With another kitchen we could cook but we are not licensed with only one. As far as speaking of you....we were concerned that you were not happy but you made no eye contact and we thought there was a personal problem as you seemed always angry. We do our best to remain low key and non obtrusive but you can't win every situation. Trip Advisor is a nice way to vent but you have to read between the lines on most negative reviews. It makes the reviewer feel good to complain and hurts the feelings of those who gladly host travelers. Yes we are not always inexpensive but we do have the highest amount of utilities, taxes, upkeep, wear and tear etc. The zip ties are on our gates to protect from the high winds that would have easily been removed if you had communicated your preference. We do our best to help our guests to enjoy their stay and will continue to do so. Thank, Angie, Bill and Laura

Reviewed July 30, 2011

We spent 2 nights here in late June before the summer rates... we had a beautiful room with a large balcony overlooking the ocean. We parked our car in front and didnt get in it til we checked out ! You can walk on boardwalk, to the town to eat in a variety of restaurants , many are BYOB. Our room was large with very nice bathroom and french doors opening onto balcony- you can lie in bed and see and hear the ocean ! The air conditioner was fair... not powerful but luckily it wasnt too hot and we had doors open for sea breezes ! We will go back ! Decent breakfast included aslo

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Babsnp
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Our room at the Laingdon was lovely- Victorian with a large modern bath & a screened porch overlooking the ocean. The room was very clean & comfortable & it was so nice to fall asleep listening to the surf. We also enjoyed taking our breakfast trays up to the 2nd floor porch. The beach entrance was directly across the street. You can also easily walk to the auditorium or the downtown area. The innkeepers were helpful, & even allowed us to extend our departure time by an hour. Parking was on the street, but we were always able to find nearby spaces. We will be back next year!

Room Tip: I would recommend reserving a room with an ocean view if you can arrange it.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mjmccarrell
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Spent Labor Day weekend at this hotel with our 2 grown children. Although the hotel has been renovated and looks nice, the innkeepers need to treat their guests with a more welcoming and warm attitude. Our room was lovely looking but the air conditioning was not working in the part of the suite where our kids were sleeping (and it was very hot). After discussing the issue with the innkeeper, he knocked on our door a short time later and told us "my wife and I discussed it, we think you won't be happy here, we are going to refund your money and you can go somewhere else!!!" and walked out of our room. We were shocked by the inappropriateness of his reaction. Where were we going to go on Labor Day weekend at this point! We were so looking forward to our family time together, we decided to stay. A while later, the daughter came to our room with a fan and apologized for her father's behavior, but the damage was done!
We made the best of the weekend. It is unfortunate because the hotel is right at the beach, we had an ocean view from our room. We would never go back there nor would we recommend this hotel to anyone, find another place. By the way, the beach does not open on Sunday before 12:30, big drawback to this town. The towns close by would be a better choice if you want to get on the beach earlier on Sunday.

• Stayed: September 2010
4  Thank NewYorkTravellady
Reviewed September 13, 2010

although the views of the ocean were beautiful, the cost of the room was outrageous for what services we received.
the very meager cold breakfast ( basically children's cereal and toast) was buffet-style on paper plates and plastic forks!
the little closet that was set up as the "hospitality room" had water, soda and chips that you had to pay $1.00 each for!
when we asked for an extra pillow ( the pillows we had in our room were as hard as sacks of cement!) we were ignored.. no extra pillows
the innkeepers were ill-suited as innkeepers, I got the impression that we were an inconvenience to them as they were constantly babysitting for their daughter's kids. I felt like we were in a daycare center!
our room was never vacuumed and the bathroom was not cleaned daily, and when we left teacups for the chambermaid to remove the next day when she cleaned the room, they were left there for days!
the air conditioner leaked water so there were towels left under it to catch the water
there was no parking, you had to try to find a spot on the street everyday
Bottom line... perhaps if the room rate was at least half of what it was, maybe I would cut them a little slack, but we have traveled extensively and this did not meet our standards

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Lillagaard Inn Bed and Breakfast
Bellevue Stratford Inn
Bellevue Stratford Inn
#12 of 19 in Ocean Grove

Been to Laingdon Hotel? Share your experiences!