“Very run down place...”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ocean Grove
Westfield, New Jersey
“Very run down place...”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our room reminded me of room one would get in a boarding house...ceiling had to be 30+ years old...the ugly paneling and dirty looking carpet in the room was probably even older. The shower in the hallway was also old and disgusting. Too much money for such a dump.
The breakfast was adequate.

Room Tip: We stayed in room no. 3
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TeriWM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
RP
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Most B&B are very old some things can not be helped so you have to realize what you are dealing with, yes it may take a few minutes for the water to get warm and reach the 3rd floor...aside from all new plumbing it goes with the territory. The owner was nice...perhaps he has read most of these reviews and changed his tune. It's definitely a "no frills" kind of place. You make your own bed and ask for new towels. Breakfast is basic...cereal, rolls , muffins coffee OJ. No fancy quiches here...but you get what you pay for …it’s low price in comparison or other B & B’s… it’s clean and a nice enough place to stay. The beds were very comfortable and that’s what counted. No TVs in the room which only 50% of B&B’s usually do.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 34 which was a queen with a private bathroom. I suggest getting a private bathroo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

It's definitely not worth the money . The whole time we were there I felt like I was back at my parents house. Prior to checking in you would think the air conditioning would have been turned on in the room , well guess what no !!!! It was a sauna . There was no cold water in the shower at all which in the middle of summer during a heat wave is kind of expected. We had a friend come visit and the owner accused her of staying over which she wasnt . Made it so unbelievably uncomfortable she called it an early night and left after having just arrive . I found it extremely weird that the owner slept on the sofa the whole night . Again as if I was suppose to tip toe around which definitely was not the case. Over all for the money they charge its definitely not worth it ....

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Mastergil

Travelers are raving about these Ocean Grove hotels

Elkton, Maryland
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My road trip of 2.5 hrs was a breeze. Arrived around noon, my room was ready although I wasn't expected until 3 p.m. I was greeted with a place to park out front, a view of the ocean, and a large porch to which I was drawn. My luggage was taken to my room and checked-in. Bill, the owner, was pleasant and efficient. The Victorian décor inviting. Breakfast was healthy and fresh. What I enjoyed most was finding the community folks very friendly and sincere. There was much to see and many things to go within walking distance. The slow, quiet days on the porch or beach and the breezy winds both day and night were soothing. I met new friends I hope to keep in touch with. Overall, my stay was very restful--more then I expected. Thank you all at the Albatross Hotel, I'm sure to see you again soon.
--Sherry (from Maryland)

Room Tip: There are many types of room sizes for your choosing. I suggest getting a room not too far from a b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sherry K
NJ
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Okay, a few things:
1) To start off with, the owner man had a bit of an attitude.
2) Without telling me when I booked the room for 2 nights, the bathroom on the second floor was broken so, I had to go up the stairs to the third floor (after a leg injury).
3) The 3rd floor shared shower had no ventilation and was boiling hot in early August so, that you felt sweaty coming out of the shower while drying off.
3B) Also, someone's left over shampoo and washcloth was in the shared shower for 2 days in a row.
4) There also was undisclosed construction that: A) woke me up B) kept me up during a nap.
5) There was an issue with breakfast I forget what exactly,
Etc. etc.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank NjDah
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I just spent some time at the Albatross and felt I had to right a review. It was a warm and friendly place where the owner went out of his way to make sure all our needs were met. The second floor porch was a delight to sit and drink my coffee and look out at the ocean. I will absolutely be back when I visit Ocean Grove again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank thom c
Bronx, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I haven't stayed there for several summers now but the last time I was there (maybe about 3 summers ago), it was on the decline. The owner was had a bit of an attitude & some of the amenities I remembered from the summer before were gone. Breakfast was a joke. The hospitality seems to be gone from that place. After reading some of these reviews, I will never go back & that's a shame.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Lillagaard Inn Bed and Breakfast
The Ocean View Inn
The Ocean View Inn
#9 of 19 in Ocean Grove

Been to Albatross Hotel? Share your experiences!