“Ice Cream by the Shore”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Soft Serve at the beach is a summer time must. Nagle's offers a really fine vanilla and a long list of toppings. I've never seen so many. It's one of the oldest businesses in Ocean Grove-one I remember from the 60s.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Everything about Nagles takes you back to the early 30s, except the contemporary menu and unique ice cream flavors! Eat inside or outside on the side verandah or on the sidewalk under umbrellas.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I've eaten in bars, greasy spoons, diners, but Nagle's gets the vote for rudest, most psychotic behavior. Owner or manager went ballistic on our party, which included an eight-year-old and disabled eightysomething. "Creepy" isn't the word for it--be warned.

5  Thank rklin3000
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I believe the only reason for the high ranking here is because it is a cute place, and there are just not that many options in Ocean Grove for a sit down meal.

The service is inconsistent and slow. The man that sits sentry duty (otherwise known as a host stand) is obnoxious, and rude. I believe he is also the same person that answers the phone. He has obviously never been taught any form of etiquette. A little bit can go a long way. He takes your name, tells you it will be 30 minutes. You take a little walk and come back in 15 or 20 to check the status and are told, "I called you name and you didn't show so I gave you table to someone else so you will have to go to the bottom of the list." The you tell him, "You told us 30 minutes, we came back in plenty of time, and you gave our table away, so why do we have to go to the bottom of the list?" his reply, "Because you weren't here, I can't help it is the table was ready sooner that I told you, that isn't my fault." reply "Okay, but why do we need to go to the bottom of the list?" reply, "because you weren't here when I called you name, as he motions you aside and takes the next name, tells them 30 minutes. they ask if they should take a little walk and come back. He says yes ---- so starts the never ending circle.

Because of convenience, we will go to Nagles, but it is not often. Every time I do, I want to kick myself and I remember why is is late August and I have not been there all summer.

It is a shame because this place is full of charm and really does have the potential to be something great, plus it is just around the corner. I so badly want to like this place. I really do, but this is a tourist town with few options, they will never be short of customers and forced to change their ways.

I will not make the mistake of being taken by the charm of the fun old building again after the treatment I received when I called a few minutes ago to place a take-out order. The conversation went like this... "Nagles." me: "Hi, I would like to place a take-out order." reply in a nasty tone: "You are just going to have to wait a minute, I don't have time right now, I have other customers I have to take care of first." A more constructive and polite way would have been, "Would mind holding for a minute? I have a line of customers that have been waiting." or simply, "Would you mind holding for a minute?" Now, this may seem like I am being petty, but it is the proverbial last straw. An even better solution to their problem, spend a few $$$ and hire a receptionist to handle the phone if you they are always that busy.

Good bye, Nagles. I wish I could say it has been pleasure. Sorry it had to end this way.

3  Thank wickerlamp
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The Daily cooked turkey breat is delicious and the ice cream is great! Service was a little lacking as there was a mix up with our order and a wait of over an hour for our food. This place is a little on the loud side but overall tolerable. The young man taking reservations has a bit of a "Jersey Shore" thing going but it was actually kind of humorous!