“A gem in Ocean Grove”

Ranked #3 of 19 Ocean Grove B&B and Inns
Bloomfield NJ
“A gem in Ocean Grove”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2009

I just spent a fabulous weekend at the Ocean Plaza. Vicki and Bob the Innkeepers and their staff are warm and friendly and couldn't have been more accommodating. They care about their guests comfort and really know how to run a B & B!

The weekend was a special "spring weekend" that included continental breakfast, pizza and salad upon arrival, wine and cheese tasting and a full course dinner with live entertainment on Saturday evening. Everything was perfect and the food was excellent. I stayed in the Stokes Suite and it was spotless and cozy and had beautiful views of the ocean and of the victorian homes across the pathway.

This B & B is really a jewel in Ocean Grove - I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else when I visit again. I look forward to my next stay !
Noreen Pena, Bloomfield, NJ

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Haworth, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2009

Ocean Grove Plaza is a traditional guesthouse. i.e. B&B setting with hotel amenities. First, they offer great discounts and packages. We were attending the Garden State Film Festival and received a 20% discount. We made friends with a couple on a weekend getaway and they got a $75 dinner coupon - very generous for restaurant prices in the region.
Very welcoming and helpful staff. Full of suggestions and even asked if we needed anything when they were going to the supermarket. Beautiful lounge with comfy chairs, piano, Internet. Safe and secure. Rooms vary. Ours was tiny but we viewed others that gave many options for space. The rooms were spotless and I am amazed they are so well kept on the small cleaning staff. Rooms were cleaned daily as in a hotel - they wait until the residence have appear to have gone out for the day.
I read the review re disappointing breakfast, but I must say this was the heartiest Continental breakfast I've ever had. Fresh muffins, bagels, coffee cake. Hot & cold cereals. Yogurt and fruit. There two great breakfast spots within walking distance, but frankly we were stuffed from that provided at the inn.
The breakfast room was open 24 hours so you could always make a cup of tea or munch on non-perishable leftovers. I was impressed with the added convenience of an ice machine and soda machine located on the lower floor, as well as a small fridge for residents and a microwave.
All in all, a really great place to stay. I was really poking around for problems but the bathroom was pristine, towels fresh and fluffy, beds well stocked with fluffy linens and pillows. I guess the only downside I could mention is there is no garden or laundry facilities. There are two great porches, one covered, one on-covered with a spectacular beach views.
Oh, one big plus, free Wifi in room. Although we didn't dine in, I noticed that guests were allowed to use the beautiful display china and crystal to eat in-room. There are several suites equipped with kitchens available.
If there's such a thing as a 5-star B&B, I might rate this as one.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

My boyfriend and I decided to go away for a romantic Valentine's weekend at the Ocean Plaza bed and breakfast. And to say the least, they completely exceeded our expectations. We had an all inclusive weekend which included dinner, breakfast, brunch, and basically all you need. Valentine's dinner was the most romantic dinner I have ever had, from their gourmet food and live entertainment to their amazingly friendly servers, it was perfect. The suite we stayed in was not only beautiful with an ocean view, but very neat and clean!! We were only there for a few days, but I can honestly say we were treated like friends that they have known for years rather than guests. Everyone was more than friendly and completely helpful. We can not stop bragging to our friends and family about the wonderful time we had!! If you are looking for an affortable and clean place to stay I would highly recommend you stay at The Ocean Plaza! I can promise my boyfriend and I along with friends who have heard about it will be back VERY soon!!!!! Thank you to everyone at The Ocean Grove for making our weekend the most memorable Valentine's day we've ever had!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelTheWorld194
Morris County, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2009

The warm welcome we received at Ocean Plaza Friday night was the start of a wonderful overnight experience for us. The rooms at the inn feature beautiful hand-painted walls decorated with charming and sunny prints. Our queen bed was comfortable with comfy pillows. There is a 2nd floor wrap-around porch where breakfast is served in the warmer months which features a beautiful ocean view. We are tea drinkers and we were delighted with tea being available whenever we wanted. The staff was very friendly and even though we stayed for just an overnight, we received special treatment. Bob went out of his way to make sure we a had an enjoyable stay. Our only disappointment was that they didn't serve a full hot breakfast, but the continental breakfast was sufficient.

We also had the pleasure of visiting the Plaza's sister inn, the recently renovated Ocean View Inn featuring a Caribbean/Tropical decor. The staff there was equally friendly, causing us to anticipate a stay at that inn next year. Though we didn't plan it, we ended up staying during Ocean Grove's chocolate lover's weekend which added to the wonderful charm of Ocean Grove. This may become an annual trip for us!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2009

We brought a group of 12 volunteers for a weekend of workshops, planning and just some team bonding time away from the city.

We were really impressed by attentive and personable staff, the charming facilities and of course--proximity to the ocean (even in January!)

We would definitely bring groups (big and small!) back here in the future.

Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank jchanNYC
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2008

The Ocean Plaza was a wonderful place to stay! We went for a family reunion, after swtiching from another B&B in the area. The staff was so accomodating and friendly, the rooms were beautifully decorated and very clean. I would recommend the Ocean Plaza to anyone looking for a great weekend or vacation in Ocean Grove!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Michigan141414
The Carriage House Bed & Breakfast
The Majestic Hotel
The Majestic Hotel
#5 of 19 in Ocean Grove

Been to The Ocean Plaza? Share your experiences!