“VISIT”

The Ocean Plaza Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Ocean Grove B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We planned a visit to the Scupture Gardens in Hamilton, NJ. and decided to find a place to stay for one night. When we recived an email from Travelzoo offering a great deal at the Ocean Plaza, we booked it. How fortunate for us!. The accomodation and the staff were fantastic. Ocean Grove was a great town and the tent houses were a wonderful surprise.

Room Tip: View of Ocean
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed June 19, 2014

The inn was lovely. The staff went out of their way for the quests. They were so friendly and accommodating. The breakfast served on the 2nd floor porch offered a large variety of items.
My favorite place was the front porch with its cushioned couches that were so comfortable. I will stay again.

Room Tip: Choose 1st floor if there is a problem with steps.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Stayed in the Inskip suite on the 4th floor. If you have trouble with steps stay on a lower floor. I found the steps to be good exercise. I had a wonderful time. Everyone was very friendly. I can't wait to return. I just loved Ocean Grove!

Room Tip: If you have trouble with steps, stay on a lower floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and I claimed a travelzoo voucher for a night's stay at the Ocean Plaza. The first thing I noticed when I arrived were the tripadvisor certificates of excellence everywhere you turned. Sorry, although we enjoyed our stay, I have stayed at certificate of excellence hotels before and this should not be one of them. (The Waldorf in New Orleans is a prime example) Everytime there was a positive, there was almost always a negative to balance it. The property is indeed a block from the beach in the quaint town of ocean grove. We arrived early so our room was not ready so we went to the beach for the afternoon. They provided beach towels which is nice. For some reason, the showers on the very nice beach are actually on the sand??? Thus, you have to walk thru the sand again to get off the beach. Ok, no problem, I will just use the beach shower that will surely be outside the hotel. Nope--no sand shower, no hose, no sense. Ok, so the night manager who was very friendly explained that there were free snacks downstairs and a vending machne for soda. I found out why free snacks, the soda machine was $2 for a soda. This property is a cross b/w a hotel and a B&B; they are just not sure what they want to be. A B&B would charge a nominal fee for drinks. However, there was free bottled water in the room. Again, up and down. The room was small but was very nice--the bed had nice linens, bath and body works in the bathroom, even mouthwash. However, for some reason we received a half used bottle of conditioner, and there were no pillows or blankets in the closet. They controlled the temp so if the thin comforter wasn't enough for you, you're cold and out of luck. The room may have been small but the bathroom was downright European. If I was heavier than I already am, I would have had trouble getting in and out of the shower. They provided a top line TV, but placed it to the right of the bed instead of on the dresser in front of the bed or mounted on the wall. I'm not a neck turned to the right TV watcher. There is a fridge in the room which was nice as well. The front desk night manager did not give us accurate information about the town. He told us that the shops stay open to regular time on Sunday. We ate early based on what he said, and guess what was closed when we finished...all the shops. Ah, the half hotel/half B&B breakfast. Someone said it was a Costco breakfast--pretty dead on. It was like eating at a Hampton Inn with less service. The food was fine, but nothing was homeade or hot. Having said all that, I am picky. We had a very nice time, and I would certainly return on another well-priced voucher. However, let's not kid ourselves about this being 4.5 stars. The property has an identity crisis--it should chose hotel or B&B and stick to one.

Room Tip: Room 12 is near the breakfast eating area so it can get noisy in the morning--however, I was made aw...
1  Thank jmcalabro
Reviewed June 5, 2014

just got back from a 2 night stay at the Ocean Grove. It is a lovely b and b. we parked our car, checked in and did not need it until we left. everything is an easy walk away. we stayed in room 15 with a king size bed that was very comfortable. it was on the third floor so if you cannot do stairs I would recommend another room. the continental breakfast was more than we expected. there was good coffee, bagels, muffins, all sorts of Danish, hard boiled eggs, waffles, fresh fruit and a wonderful hostess. There is also complementary candy available all day as well as bags of chips. Ocean Gove is amazing - beautiful gingerbread houses and the beach is wonderful. great restaurants - especially Sea Grass - and 2 terrific old fashioned ice cream parlors. we definitely will return!

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Stayed at the Ocean plaza for two nights. It was very nice. It's one block from the beach and has a nice ocean view. Location is perfect as we walked to everything. The bed was comfortable and room was quaint and clean. I could not give the plaza a five only due to the breakfast. While certainly not bad, in any way, to be rated a five I would need fresh baked muffins in place of a "Costco" spread. Don't get me wrong it was good, no, very good. Just not the level of a five star. I would, and probably will return. And I would recommend to all to go for a few days at the beach. Ocean Grove is a step back in time and a joy to experience. All the cafe's are BYOB as the town is "dry". Town is too interesting to cover here. The staff was great. If only they could bake.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep late get a room on the west side. Sunrise is very bright. But the view is great...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I have not stayed here yet I am bringing a group down for Bridgefest in June I have stayed at other inns in Ocean Grove but not this one I sent emails to several Inns and B&B's in Ocean Grove in March only 4 got back to me and the Ocean Plaza was the only one
that could accommodate us Vicki was WONDERFUL!! We emailed several times and spoke on the phone She was so helpful and very pleasant. I stopped in today with one of the group to see the place in person and Vicki was there and she gave us a tour. The front lounge is very inviting , the rooms were clean and lovely and the upstairs porch where breakfast is served was lovely with beautiful views if the ocean I am glad I picked the Ocean Plaza and feel confident that my group will be pleased

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
The Majestic Hotel
The Majestic Hotel
#5 of 19 in Ocean Grove
The Carriage House Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Ocean Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!