“Good and Not so goo”

Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Philadelphia
“Good and Not so goo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

Stayed here several times as a quick overnight getaway with my kids when we got the sudden "itch" to have some shore time. I've lived close to NJ shore my whole life so I know what to expect as far as hotels/motels. Most are dated, pricey and 3 stars or less. You get what you get at the shore...its the beach and the atmosphere that you really go for. With that in mind, here are the good and the not so good...

Good:
Very nice staff
Easy to get to, right off of 34th St. Bridge
Convenient to grocery store, Wawa, CVS, playground, restaurants.
34th St. beach has a public bathroom
Rooms all have AC and efficiency kitchens
Pool is warm & clean
Pool towels provided
Parking for 1 car
Reasonable room rates
Elevator
Front desk will work with you if you are not happy with your room
Rooms are clean

Not so good...
Long walk to beach (3 lights, busy streets)
All of the rooms are privately owned so decor and setup varies with each unit
(you never know what your going to get)
Very small bathrooms in all units
There is no "view" whatsoever from any of the units
Outdoor shower a bit of a joke

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank PhiladelphiaBromley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

We found The Crossings to be a nice place to stay. The staff was very accomodating and friendly. We all thought the rooms (efficiencies) were spacious and very clean. I am a fussy person when it comes to cleanliness. The bathroom is small, but the rest of the room had more than adequate space. We only stayed one night, so we didn't get to actually use any of the kitchen amenities. It's a nice touch, especially if you are planning a longer stay, have a family, and don't want to eat out every night. Some of the rooms have been updated and decorated nicely. We didn't get to use the pool because we like the beach instead, but it's a nice size. There is a Wawa right next door, a CVS and an Acme market.

The beach is just a few blocks away. The hotel also gives you beach tags. We had to leave a $20 deposit per person and you get that back upon leaving, as long as you don't lose the tag. :)

We thought the 10:00 a.m. check-out was a little early, but if you want to get some extra beach time in that day, they have a changing room, where you can shower and freshen up. They also let us leave our cars in the parking lot after we checked out, which was much appreciated.

I wouldn't hesitate to come back and stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank HappyMom_10
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

My husband & I initially were looking to return to the Tropicana in Atlantic City. The prices quoted were not to our liking. Last year, we spent two days at the Tropicana on our honeymoon. And while we loved the suite, the expense after a wedding, was too much. Basically, we wanted more bang for our buck. We received all that we could have hoped for and more. A quaint town that feels like you're stepping back into a sweeter, peaceful time. The condo had all the amenities of home with excellent room service. The condo was advertized to come fully equipped yet I bought my own. THE CONDO WAS SO EQUIPPED; I never unpacked what I bought. Everything was within walking distance, a very short walking distance. Wa Wa right at the corner, CVS across the street and so too was the Acme market. Hoy's 5 & 10 was two blocks away. Bike rental shop a block away. A wonderful pizza place a short distance. The beach 3 blocks away, clean and certainly well kept. My husband Sean and I often speak of what our society has lost with improvements. Ocean City and specifically The Crossings helped remind us of a time gone by with all the amenities of today.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sassy_asset
westchester county, ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

We just finished a 5 night stay and were very happy with this condo-tel. . I am a nut about clean rooms, beds and bathrooms when it comes to hotels, so of course as soon as we opened the door I RIPPED off the sheets looking for bedbugs, checked behind the headboard, etc. you get the picture - IT WAS CLEAN - our beds were on wheels and we had HARD WOOD FLOORS so of course i moved the beds to see if they clean underneath - AND IT WAS CLEAN - Then I checked the pillows - no stains or smells - So far so good - I also checked the bathroom for mold - AND IT WAS CLEAN. The front desk was the most friendly staff I met in a long time and the cleaning staff was very helpfull to get you whatever you needed ASAP. The pool was heated and goes from 3-6 feet, my kids were in it 3 out of 5 days. . Parking was plentifull there was in the shade and in the sun. The beach was a short walk away( 3 side blocks ), Wa-Wa is attached to the side of the hotel, CVS and Acme Supermarket are 7 steps away. you walk out the door of the hotel and turn right - and your there!! There is a park 1 short block away, there is also 3 ices-cream parlors, 1 game room, 2 italian restaurants, Hoys5 &10 store and Laura's Fudge Shop ALL WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE - when I say walking distance it is no more than 3 short blocks. It is a great place to stay and the area was very quite - it is not within the hussle and bussle of the Downtown area -but a 5 min car ride and your on the boardwalk.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Fiz51
Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

Yes this place is good value, but the rooms are hit and miss. My in-laws stayed in the room next door which seemed fine, but our room smelled like someone had just smoked a pack of twenty in there. Walk to the beach is not too far, takes a few minutes. Pool is small and warmish. Had room on back of building with view of electricity substation....not very inspiring. But for $120/night in August in Ocean City, I guess there's not too much complaining that can be done here. Nobody said this was going to be the Hilton. Its a 2 star establishment, do the math (5-2=3). Wireless internet was free and fast...nice touch.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank PJM787
Mullica Hill, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

I love Ocean City and have been going there for 20 years. I enjoy the proximity to Somers Point, Margate and Sea Isle bars and restaurants. It's the perfect central location and the Crossings is easy in and out without dealing with 9th St noise and traffic. I prefer to stay in the south end and go to the boardwalk maybe once or twice during my vist but I don't need to be near all of the kiddie rides so finding a hotel away from all of that was great. It is a very easy, quick drive into downtown if you want to go. I prefer to rent a house but if you don't want to commit to a full week and large house, this is a very decent alternative for a few days away. We prefer to get away ourselves and have some quiet time to decompress and don't need a house that sleeps 6-12 people. The Crossings is perfect if you just want a few days at the shore without renting for 7 days. I prefer to stay on the beach most of the day and just be out and about . Hanging in the room or at the hotel for me is really just to sleep, shower or change. I thought the room was clean, updated and very decent and adequate for what we wanted. It is not a 4 or 5 star luxury hotel, but you are at the Jersey Shore and not at a Carribbean resort so BE REAL. We stayed over a Sat and Sun night and it was very quiet at night and we were not disturbed by slamming doors or loud talking. We did not hang out at the hotel and got back late each night but found it to be quiet. We didn't use the kitchenette at all but it's nice to know it's there. I assume some of the rooms are nicer than others. I would say our room was decent, clean and pretty recently remodelled. It did not have any strange musty smells like many motel type places. The bathroom is very small and there was barely any closet space. May be crowded for more than 2 people. I hope they keep it up and continue to maintain the property and individual rooms. I would definitely come back for a few nights stay. The rates are great in late August.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank lmdima33
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2010

I am completing a 6-night stay at the end of August, booked via hotels.com. This is an older motor inn that has been converted to individually-owned "condos". My room had a very comfortable double bed (although advertised as a queen), a pull-out sofa bed, a half-size refrigerator, 2-burner stove top, and a microwave, with dishes, glassware, flatware, pots and pans, and cooking utensils. Location is convenient, half-way down the island, away from the racket of the boardwalk, with an Acme grocery store, a CVS, a WaWa convenience store, gas station, and several good neighborhood restaurants within walking distance. The beach is about 4 long city blocks away, crossing over 3 very busy 4-lane streets. The condo-tel has a small sparkling pool, which fills up with screaming kids by about 3 pm, when their parents bring them in from the beach.

The lobby is run-down, and the interactions with hotel staff were mixed. A rather surly young man sat at the desk most afternoons, and was most unimpressed when he was disturbed from his computer games to have to respond to a question from a guest.

Ocean City is a "dry" town, although there is a large liquor store just over the bridge at 34th Street. The swimming pool has clearly marked signage stating that there is to be no alcohol or glass containers in the pool area. However, some of the condo owners bring their friends and family, and sit around the pool with poorly-disguised cases of beer, and become louder and rowdier as the day goes on. As well, even though pets are not allowed, apparently this rule does not apply to condo owners, as there were 3 loud dogs barking from behind locked doors all day on Saturday.

Nice and peaceful mid-week; raucous and noisy on the weekend. If I wanted raucous and noisy, I would have gone to Wildwood.

Housekeeping staff appear to be young international students--French Canadians and Turks. Pleasant and skilled at straightening up, less skilled at actual cleaning.

Ample parking; some is covered. I prefer to park my car where I can see it, which I was able to do.

The door to my room was warped, and took many false starts and swear words to get it unlocked each time I returned to the room--perhaps an end-of-summer issue that can be corrected. A dog is barking in an enclosed, locked car while I am writing this. Now I need to look for a phone # for the ASPCA. Overall, ok for the price, but could be kept a bit cleaner.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo