“Grace under pressure AND great food!”
Review of Periwinkle's - CLOSED

Periwinkle's
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Our family put Periwinkles under the ultimate pressure test, invading their pleasant space with 54 rowdy people having a family reunion, ages 1 through 97, for dinner on a Friday evening.

The friendly wait staff was more than up to the challenge, as was the kitchen. Tables were pre-arranged in long rows for us - great for the family but a major hassle for the waitresses, who had to squeeze, slither and slide through us all to take orders and deliver food and drinks. And they did it with smiles and amazing alacrity!

The service was surprisingly fast, considering the crowd we presented, and the food was simply delicious, fresh and hot. Special orders, dietary needs and the inevitable couple of cranky diners were no problem for them, and they even broke up the checks the way we wanted with no complaint!

I've seen where a couple of reviewers have complained about this restaurant, and all I can say it that they must be the most impossible, ill-tempered diners on the planet, because we threw everything we could at them, and they stood up to the test, and brought out the taste!

Beware Periwinkles - we WILL be back!

1  Thank Steve J
There are newer reviews for Periwinkle's

Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

My mom and I have been here previous summers and always thought it was a cute little spot, only one bad experience a few years back. However we decided to try once more disregarding the negative reviews. The ambiance is nothing special at all but that's not a big deal for me I go for the food not the environment. But I did notice the mismatch plastic cups our beverages were served in. Similar to the ones sold at a dollar store. Those should be improved. We had crab dip and tomatoes and mozz for appetizers, both were tasty. I ordered the absolute pasta dish and it was good. The seafood was pretty fresh. My boyfriend however ordered a steak with a special crabmeat sauce on top which came served with no sauce. It took about 8 mins to get it which was a burden but it eventually came out. My mom got the seafood crepes and had no complaints. The owner was walking around checking on all of the tables and even helping out the servers which was nice to see. However I almost chose to go somewhere else because of the management rebuttals he posts in regards to some of the reviews online. There are going to be good and bad reviews. An owner should understand that.. especially if most of the people are complaining about the same things. Own up to your mistakes, fix them & dont make people feel bad about writing an honest review !

peri822, Owner at Periwinkle's, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Hi there , thanks for dining with us and posting your opinion. Let's see, where to begin? Oh; the "ambiance" , Periwinkles is a fun, casual, family friendly, Jersey Shore eatery. The "ambiance" reflects that. If you want ambiance you may want to try a gourmet restaurant in Manhattan or Philadelphia or even Atlantic City. Of course, you would be paying twice as much for said ambiance. The "mismatched" cups: By design. Did you happen to notice the "mismatched" linen on every table? Did we take care of your minor problem? Yes. We are not perfect, I am the first to admit that and, contrary to your belief, I do own up to my mistakes and respond to a review in the context in which is was written. If a review is constructive criticism, no problem, that is how we gauge our business. If, however, a review is mean spirited, I must respond in kind. But, "mismatched cups" , seriously?

Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

Great place. Great food excellent service. Thanks Steve our great server!
Owner stopped. Y our table twice to check on us. Very thoughtful salmon was moist and salad perfectly dressed we plan to return soon and often good stop. Enjoy,we did

Reviewed May 30, 2014

We ate here for the first time and enjoyed it very much. The menu had many quality choices with the ability to substitute items.The wait staff was very helpful in explaining the meals. The meals were served in a timely manner. Periwinkles is a good place to eat and well worth it.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

My wife and I recently dined here after walking right past it for YEARS! I am so glad we finally stopped in. We arrived early enough for the free seafood bar and everything was fresh and delicious. I ordered the fish and chips. Fish was fresh, hot and crisp, without the greasy feel/taste that some fried fish has. My wife got Audrey's Grilled Salad with the chicken and she loved it. She raved about the lemon-basil vinaigrette, which the waitress told us was homemade. The salad was so large that she couldn't even finish it. The location is great, the price was right, and we will definitely be returning. Do your taste buds (and your wallet) a favor and stop at Periwinkle's to eat BEFORE you venture onto the boardwalk. You won't be sorry!