“Great family vacation”

Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great family vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed here the week of July 4th, and were very pleased. We have never been to Ocean City before, so we didn't know what to expect. The hotel was a great value, excellent location, and very clean. The town itself is very safe and family-friendly. Also enjoyed the free coffee in the morning and the free wi-fi. Only used the pool once (why use a hotel pool when the beach is right there?), but it was clean and warm. My only complaint is the the air conditioning was too loud to run at night, but it didn't matter because even though it was close to 90 every day it didn't get hot in the room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank babyty2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Swedesboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

This was the first time my family spent a weekend in Ocean City, and we weren't quite sure where to stay. Based on the reviews, we decided to book our 4th of July weekend at the Harris House. It was definitely a great choice! The location is perfect - a short walk to the beach & boardwalk... the room was very clean, and the staff was very friendly. We're already thinking about our next trip to Ocean City and booking our room at the Harris House! Thank you Harris House for a great experience!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank CYB7880
Flourtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the Harris House. Excellent accomodations. Kids loved the pool and in less then a 1 minute walk you are on the beach....making it very easy to come back/forth. Also, steps away from two of Ocean City's favorites- Mack n Manco's Pizza and Kohr Brothers Ice Cream. Great place for a vacation. We look forward to returning and would strongly recommend.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank summit1991
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2011

Stayed in rooms 240 & 242 facing street. Easy access to boardwalk and the beach bathrooms are right there. Nice plus with small children. Rooms smelled great and were very clean. (I'm picky especially when babies are with us) Management was so friendly, and the pool was very clean. I highly recommend this place for families and we are coming back.

Room Tip: Boardwalk food is over priced!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kgpris
Riverside NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

My wife and I have stayed in a variety of hotels in Ocean City, Wildwood and Cape May each summer for the last ten years . In addition, we have stayed at dozens of 5 and 4 star resorts all over the Caribbean and Europe. This hotel is by FAR the worst. Trip Advisor reviews are generally fairly accurate, but that is not the case here.

Our room was certainly clean enough - for a frat house, student hostel or Motel 6. Damp, musty smell reminiscent of perfumed sewage sludge permeated throughout. My wife noticed several hairs on the toilet seat when she attempted to use the bathroom. (This begs the question....should the hotel be renamed the Hair[-] House?) I complained to the front desk and the person I spoke with could barely respond in English! An elderly women behind the desk then rudely butted into the conversation with an attitude that was so demeaning and caustic that I wondered how could she could ever work with people. (I later found out from a maid that she was the owner - WOW!) She told me that they ran a "first class operation" and had been in business for over 30 years, while NEVER offering to move us to a different room or clean our room. She told me that the housekeeping staff was "really busy" and would "get to it" as soon as possible. Really busy? Are you kidding me? Talk about having the charm and tact on an armadillo!

The pool was great - providing your definition of a pool is urine, chlorine and water. We love kids, but I must have missed that sign that says "pee party daily". Junky, uncomfortable plastic pool chairs without cushions.

The hotel is old, in need of repairs and could use a full renovation. Nasty, creaky old stairs, loud wall AC units that sweat like a marathon runner. When was the last time the Fire Marshall inspected this place, 1988?

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
10 Thank alang1121
gansevoort
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

We go to OC every year, and had stayed in several other places before finding the Harris House a few years ago. We have stayed there every year since. The property is well maintained and clean, the pool is perfect, and the staff is courteous, helpful and efficient. We have never had a mix-up with a reservation, and the room is always cleaned promptly. The mini-week special is a good deal, and it is near everything you need. I would recommend this to my family and friends without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kandj14
Philly
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

I stayed here for two night in September with my husband and two year old son. They have a great policy about parking, letting you park your car before you check in so you can just head to the beach or even use their pool if you wish. Even after checkout they allow you to use the pool but you just have to move your car. I think that is great. The cons were plentiful however. We had interaction with four staff members during our stay and though they were polite they were certainly not knowledgeable about their own policies. It said free wifi in the website but in the motel book in the rooms it said it cost .25 a minute. When we asked about that the front desk the woman said she didn't know. We also asked about pool hours and again neither woman at the desk knew. Neither did either of the maintenance guys. Also it advertises heated pool but they don't have it turned on until the Fall and Winter months I guess. Every morning when we went to the pool before the beach so my two year old could play it was FREEZING when we asked why it wasn't heated they said they would turn the heater on but it would take about 3 hours for it to warm up. By then it would be warm enough on its own. I just think this is false advertising. Our second night neither of our keycards worked to get into the room so we had to wait outside for 30 minutes before the maintenance guy came to fix it. I had bubbles in my bag or I don't know what I would have done to entertain my son. Thank God we haven't started potty training yet. And as a previous reviewer said the staff thought we were crazy to be asking for any sort of compensation for that. The pros are again the location, the parking and ammentities policies, nice TVs and free coffee and tea in the mornings. We will most likely stay again because of the location and the cheap price.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank reighden
WSSHH, Manager at Harris House Motel, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
We have the largest outdoor heated pool in Ocean City. The pool heat is set between 82-86. It is on from opening in May until closing in September and is never turned off.