“Family Friendly”

Ranked #1 of 45 things to do in Ocean City
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With its quaint storefronts, amusement rides and Music Pier, Ocean City is everything you'd expect from the real Jersey shore. This family-friendly town boasts a two-mile boardwalk dotted with amusements, pizza parlors, and seaside stores.
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This family friendly town offers a lot for families with young children. Water slides, mini golf, and sun and surf. This is a dry town so no adult party folk. Also near to Cape May with the beautiful Victorian houses. The Jersey Shore can be wholesome. There is a nominal fee for the beach. Families can rent bicycles or larger bikes for the whole group to ride up and down the boardwalk in designated lanes. Lots of fun!

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Living in South Jersey I've been to several shore locations, and Ocean City is definately my favorite. The boardwalk is always a happy place to visit. They have a variety of rides, plenty of games, and also some fun shopping. It's also a great place if you just want to stroll and watch the ocean, or sit back and relax on one of thier many benches. Parking can be a little tricky at their peak times, but if you look around a few blocks back from the boardwalk you will probably have more luck. It's a great place for families with lots of kid-friendly things to do.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Just returned from our first trip to OC and while we had a wonderful time on the beach, the boardwalk was a major disappointment for our teens. We brought our 16 yr old son and his friend, and 90% of the rides are geared toward little kids. The boardwalk is mostly stores and eateries. Once you've eaten and if you aren't into shopping, there really isn't much more to do. Maybe teenage girls would feel differently. Warning: Like AC, OC also has a problem w/hordes of sea gulls that descend like flies. Within 5 minutes of getting on the boards, my son was bombed by a gull. It was so bad, we had to go to a t-shirt store & fork out $16 for a plain white tee.

We did appreciate the family-oriented environment. We didn't worry when the boys walked the boards alone. They love the arcades and the few on the OC boardwalk are quite old-fashioned & don't have cranes or tickets to win prizes. As the paying adults, this was appreciated, but for teens, it was disappointing. We were quite surprized that there was not one game of chance on the entire boardwalk. No wheels and no frogs to hit w/mallets, no shooting water guns to fill balloons. No raffles to win cars. Nothing. I don't know if this is because of the OC Blue Laws or what. And believe me, while I hate how games of chance can bleed you dry, you kind of expect to find them on a NJ boardwalk. For my teens, this was a much anticipated part of the boardwalk visit that they sorely missed..

For our family, the OC boardwalk wasn't a good fit. But, if you have young children, this boardwalk is wonderful. I just wish we'd known of it when ours were younger.

Reviewed July 12, 2011

The Ocean City, NJ boardwalk is a great stretch of quick eateries, amusement rides, games, attractions, upscale shops, a great dollar store!, modestly priced clothing stores and restaurants. Our family has visited OC Boardwalk every summer for the past five years and it's always clean and fun. (Okay, the boardwalk planks should start being replaced, but hey, that's part of it's 'charm'.) This is a great destination for anyone who enjoys a great time on a boardwalk!

1  Thank MissyPA71
Reviewed June 29, 2011

We just returned from my first visit to Ocean City, NJ and we had a fantastic time. I thought the boardwalk was really nice complete with the typical pizza, T-shirt, beach, souvenir shops and few arcades. I would like to see them replace a lot of the boards because they are old and uneven and we tripped a lot. We even had a family competition to see who would trip the most. The ride pavilions had rides for the little ones and those feeling a little more daring. I thought everyone was polite and family oriented and everyone working at the beach was very helpful and courteous other than one woman working at Jilly's arcade; maybe she was having a bad day.

The boardwalk is very relaxed and I think the alcohol restriction helps make it a more family atmosphere. No one was being rowdy and while there were teenagers and very young adults hanging out they were not rude or even a distraction. There are attentive police officers on the boardwalk, about two officers to a block which I appreciated but I didn't notice any problems.

The beach was clean but you have to pay to access it; fortunately our motel provided beach tags so we did not have to pay. There are watchful lifeguards on duty but swim between the green flags or you will hear the occasional whistle motioning everyone to move down or come closer to the shore; we did see one rescue.

The only downside I experienced was the lack of dining options. I was really in the mood for a nice all you can eat seafood buffet but there are none and you have to drive back over the bridge if you would like alcohol. The boardwalk food is really good (pizza, fries, burgers, funnel cake, etc) but that can get tiresome fast when you would like a sit down restaurant. Since this was my first time there I probably missed them.

Overall we had a great experience and would go back for another trip. The only thing that made me not rate it as Excellent was the lack of alcohol at restaurants and nice dining options.

3  Thank DayDreamer89