“Great Family Oriented Boardwalk”

Ocean City Boardwalk
Ranked #1 of 44 things to do in Ocean City
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With its quaint storefronts, amusement rides and Music Pier, Ocean City is everything you'd expect from the real Jersey shore. This family-friendly town boasts a two-mile boardwalk dotted with amusements, pizza parlors, and seaside stores.
Reviewed June 29, 2011

We just returned from my first visit to Ocean City, NJ and we had a fantastic time. I thought the boardwalk was really nice complete with the typical pizza, T-shirt, beach, souvenir shops and few arcades. I would like to see them replace a lot of the boards because they are old and uneven and we tripped a lot. We even had a family competition to see who would trip the most. The ride pavilions had rides for the little ones and those feeling a little more daring. I thought everyone was polite and family oriented and everyone working at the beach was very helpful and courteous other than one woman working at Jilly's arcade; maybe she was having a bad day.

The boardwalk is very relaxed and I think the alcohol restriction helps make it a more family atmosphere. No one was being rowdy and while there were teenagers and very young adults hanging out they were not rude or even a distraction. There are attentive police officers on the boardwalk, about two officers to a block which I appreciated but I didn't notice any problems.

The beach was clean but you have to pay to access it; fortunately our motel provided beach tags so we did not have to pay. There are watchful lifeguards on duty but swim between the green flags or you will hear the occasional whistle motioning everyone to move down or come closer to the shore; we did see one rescue.

The only downside I experienced was the lack of dining options. I was really in the mood for a nice all you can eat seafood buffet but there are none and you have to drive back over the bridge if you would like alcohol. The boardwalk food is really good (pizza, fries, burgers, funnel cake, etc) but that can get tiresome fast when you would like a sit down restaurant. Since this was my first time there I probably missed them.

Overall we had a great experience and would go back for another trip. The only thing that made me not rate it as Excellent was the lack of alcohol at restaurants and nice dining options.

3  Thank DayDreamer89
Write a ReviewReviews (1,554)
All reviews
in 40 reviews
"bike riding"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We have been staying in Ocean City, NJ for about 29 years. It is the best NJ Family beach/boardwalk to bring your young Children/teenagers. The entire town of Ocean City is "DRY" No liquor stores or bars are on the boardwalk or town, which is fine, because there are NO bad crowds/drunks hanging out on the boardwalk. It is a Very safe town. we let our teenagers go up to the boardwalk by themselves, there are a lot of teens that go to the boardwalk and they are very nice kids. There are two huge liquor stores on your way into Ocean City, so we stock up on our way into Ocean City.

2  Thank KittyGstr
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We've rented family homes every summer in Ocean City. Typically we bring teens as well as my Elementary age kids. OCNJ has it all. We love the beaches and the boardwalk is the best. It DOES get very crowded but if you aren't in a hurry it's a gret place to shop & people-watch!

Reviewed April 19, 2011

If you are looking for a great place to take your kids, you have found it. I've been going here with my Parents/Grandparents since I was 5 years old. This is a dry town so it keeps the troublemakers off the boardwalk. Get a bite to eat or ride the rides, plenty to do on the boardwalk. Tip- if you know you are spending a week in OCNJ, you can get 1/2 price tickets at Christmas time and Easter for the rides, some online, some in person.

1  Thank JPVenezia