“A make over is definitely needed. Cheap Motel comes to mind, not price!!”
Review of Ocean Breeze Hotel

Ocean Breeze Hotel
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Woodstown, New Jersey, United States
“A make over is definitely needed. Cheap Motel comes to mind, not price!!”
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Old, but not quaint. Old cheap carpet, no character, needs a designer to save the day!!! Staff overly apologetic for check in issues with computer, a warning of lots of 21 year olds on third floor got us nervous. Maybe reason for five young men sleeping/snoring in lounge when we came in at 10:30pm and still there at 9am when we went out. Made us uncomfortable, would have enjoyed porch, (cheap plastic chairs) but looked more like a hang out for friends of staff?? We were able to leave car in lot even with check out at 11am, great. Having a pool was nice option, as well as beach passes. There was no bed pad on bed, sheets didn't cover mattress, and two pillows were not enough for one person. Additional linens were provided with a smile. Light breakfast bar was appreciated. Definitely a place for last resort, and at $ 134.00 for queen, two adults, its definitely over priced.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Karen B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Warrington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I can't believe these negative comments from people who stayed here. I find this Hotel so charming and the people who run it could not be nicer. Is it modern? Of Course not, that's part of it's charm. I love sitting on the wrap around porch. You can't beat the prices. I can't wait to come back this year!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lisa B
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 23, 2012

If you have a family and have positive experience renting a weekly beach home, don't go here - even for a night. This place is just adequate if you're looking to stay over night. Don't expect a quiet, convenient get away.

We spent one night here because some friends booked it for us for our short stay. Our friends did not know that we had a bad experience with its sister "hotel" (see below). We were out and about most of the time we were there, but here are some things that really bothered us:
- huge cockroaches (mutant-size) crawling the hallway
- nasty and unclean bedspread (as Denise L mentioned) with many stains.
- sheets were clean with no bugs, but the bed was very uncomfortable.
- unclean, grimy old wall unit ACs that are health hazards
- connecting rooms with paper thin walls. you will hear everything
- office people who are also employees of Blue Water Inn (it used to be Sandaway Inn) who
weren't sure of housekeeping protocols or were not around to answer questions because they were working at both hotels.
- both Blue Water Inn and Ocean Breeze offer "apartments", but DO NOT book these either! they are located in the basement of each buildings with LOW ceilings, bad wall units, and with lots of bugs. We had a horrifying experience with one of these apartments 13 years ago and I can't believe they are still running this place just as old and grimy!
- in another friend's unit there was a leak from the ceiling, and had ants on the bed.

Breakfast is frozen pancakes, waffles with coffee, milk and SunnyD. They have unfrozen 2 bags bagels and then bring out frozen ones when they run out. Toaster line is long so be prepared to wait your turn. They have a microwave for you to use.

The location is really nice as you'll have a few blocks to walk to the beach. There are tons of eatery place around that place. If the owners took care of this place, they could really do nice business. Will we ever go back? No, thank you.

Room Tip: Always go for the top floor, but I don't know if there are better rooms at Ocean Breeze...
5 Thank likefamilytrips
OnceSpringfieldPa, Manager at Ocean Breeze Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
We acknowledge that its tough for a century old hotel to compete with newer seashore hotels, and that occassionally we may miss some things , but your response is totally misleading. You cite a previous stay of 13 years ago, Really? We didn't own the place back then and instead of taking the easy way out and tearing the building down, decided to remodel the place. We replaced over 100 windows and all furniture and fixtures. We still have some work to do. In 2013, we have replaced most full beds with queen size beds in rooms that can accomodate them (yes-some rooms are too small for queen size beds) and have added several king beds. We strive to keep the hotel clean and actually have the owners cell phone posted in the lobby for direct contact. Usually the owners are working onsite. Maybe next time you would consider taking a more positive approach and help us help you enjoy your stay.

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is an old building and has seen better days. The beds are doubles and not the most comfortable (OK for our two kids to share, but tight for my 6'3" husband and me). There are A/C units in the rooms and a small fridge. The cost is cheap and you get what you pay for, so with that said, for us it's OK for an overnight or two tops. Why? Because we generally don't spend much time in the room when we go to the shore. Just need a place to sleep.
A nice thing to put in the positive column that we haven't found in more expensive and better kept OC hotels.....the fact that they have an indoor changing room with a shower you can use before your room is ready and after you check out. We also were allowed to park in the lot when we arrived before check in and to stay in the lot after check out (we were lucky enough to get a spot). Most other hotels make you move your car right after check out, and they have a hose outside that you can rinse your feet off with, and of course they let you use the public bathroom, but being able to shower and get the sandy bathing suit off before you hit the road is a nice thing. Oh, and Ocean Breeze lets you return the beach tags after you check out too, which is another nice thing.
We have stayed here before this and only for one night or two max. One time there were noisy drunk college kids we had to contend with and I swore we'd never stay here again. But, when we had a spur of the moment trip opportunity this time we couldn't pass up the price. When we stay in OC for a week, we rent a one bedroom condo so we have the convenience of a kitchen too.

Room Tip: I don't think any room is better than the other.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
OnceSpringfieldPa, Owner at Ocean Breeze Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thanks for your comments. In 2013, we have added three king beds and many queen beds replacing the full beds. bedding mix is now more than half queen and king beds. The balance are upgraded full beds. I appreciate your mention of the free amenities: breakfast, pool, parking, changing rooms and beach tags...all included with your stay. We have also instituted a "quiet time" policy and have signs posted reminding our guests of the times 11pm to 8 am during which we ask all guests to be quiet so that all may enjoy their stay.
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I was nervous coming here after reading the reviews, and I honestly expected the worst, which is why I was pleasantly surprised. It was older and not sparkling clean, but my room was not dirty. The staff was all very friendly and helpful. The place is very close to the boardwalk and beach, and there is even a great frozen yogurt place on the way. We did not have any trouble finding parking, but we came in late June and possibly there were not as many people there. It was not an amazing hotel but we did the mid-week deal and it was only a little over $300 for five nights, which we literally couldn't find a better deal. We were spending most of our time around the town anyway, and only went in the room to sleep. It was a great place for a young couple like us to spend our first vacation in Ocean City!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Glad that you enjoyed our "mid week" special...5 nights for the price of 4. As you know , we offer a clean yet older style hotel and pack your stay with a bunch of free amenities not found in other hotels, free breakfast, beach tags, parking, changing rooms, onsite pool, wifi and friendly staff who also enjoy Ocean City. We look forward to seeing you next year!
Collingswood, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed August 17, 2012

LConwell, you were spot on. Stayed just last week. I saw the positive reviews and took the bad with a grain of salt. I was there with my kids so we didn't need anything fancy, just a home base for a couple of days at the beach. The room was small (22) -- that was ok, but the beds were JUST adequate and the pillows were useless. It was obvious the carpet hadn't been vacuumed as I found a pill on the floor in plain sight. Potential accident waiting to happen if I had young children. The wood work had a thick layer of dust and the bedspreads were DISGUSTING!!! I had them taken away . The bathroom was worse. Someone had painted over the faux tile on the walls with flat paint -- it looked terrrible, but worse it was VERY dirty. The caulking around the tub was an inch or so thick caked with dirt and who knows what else. The floor vinyl floor was probably 25 years old and in need of replacement. The exhaust fan had a coating of dust so thick it would have made a good orange sized dust bunny -- REALLY. I did complain and was on the verge of leaving, however there wasn't another room to be found anywhere. My kids and I decided to suck it up. The manager, who tried to be helpful, said he would give me a gift certificate for another stay. My response, "Are you kidding? I want to leave, why would I come back?" I did manage to get a partial refund on my credit card. Breakfast was a joke. The frozen waffles were in baggies on the counter, not worth the hassle of waiting for everyone else.
Walk around the block to Ocean City Surf Cafe, nice little place with a friendly staff.
DO NOT MOVE your car IF you are brave enough to stay. The owners could have a gem of a place if they maintained and cleaned the place. The location is very good and it still has a lot of the features of the original architecture. Ocean City is a favorite spot of ours, but Ocean Breeze is crossed off our list.

3 Thank Denise L
Hatboro, PA
Reviewed August 13, 2012

When I booked the hotel, there were only a couple of reviews on this place, and they were both favorable. As my trip got closer, I checked again, and it had negative reviews. I know there are always some people who are just never happy, so I thought I'd see for myself. The bad reviews were spot on. We had two adjoining rooms on the 3rd floor. The room sizes themselves were decent, and there were 4 beds. However, the one bed was hard as a rock, and none of us could sleep on it. The place did indeed seem not just run down and old, but dirty. The bathroom had obviously not been cleaned well, and the toilet - not at all. How do I know this? Because it was obvious someone had used it and not flushed. Gross. The hotel advertised "daily housekeeping." All they did was come and take the trash and leave clean towels. They never as much as vacuumed. The breakfast they advertise, of pancakes, waffles and french toast? FROZEN! So you have to stand in line to use the one toaster. And you have from 8:15 until 9:30 to eat it, or you're out of luck. The only positive was that it was close to the boardwalk/beach. Oh, and don't move your car...you are not guaranteed a spot. If you move your car and lose your spot, you have to find somewhere else to park. And the pool is TINY. I would definitely not come back here. If the place had been clean, and if they had changed the sheets on the bed every day, I could have managed with everything else. But to me, cleanliness is key. I don't like being afraid to sleep in the bed! Oh, and the wifi was so slow, it wasn't worth it. And I kept getting kicked off of it.

Room Tip: Supposedly they renovated some of the rooms. Maybe those are better.
3 Thank LauraMC70
Thanks for your comments. We decided to do a smaller ,free breakfast but improve the quality. We are also expanding the "breakfast hour" to run from 8 to 10 am. We have replaced and upgraded bed sizes for 2013. More details are on our website.