“Don't do it!”

Sifting Sands Motel
Ranked #23 of 31 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed September 4, 2007

The pool area is really nice, but that's about it. Photos are misleading as they show the updated cabinets etc, but the structure is old and dingy and the carpets and floors were disgusting! The bathroom shower floor was so gross I went out and bought a mat to stand on in there. We asked for an extra blanket as I refuse to use the bed spreads in hotels and were provided with a crusty old blanket that must have been stored in their front office (that's where the girl went to get it) in a ball for years. It was nasty. When I asked housekeeping to replace it I got a pile of sheets. It was definitely small- two little rooms one with the queen bed and just enough room to walk around it, one with the pull out sofa and kitchenette, very few dishes to speak of. There was a coffee pot- but no coffee mugs- can you imagine? The lame folding chairs at the 3'x2' table didn't even match. The front desk guy was really nice when we checked in, even let us check in 4 hours early. (Guess we know why the room was empty now) . All in all, I was not happy that we paid as much as we did for what amounts to a dump. Look elsewhere folks!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa0908

Reviewed August 19, 2007

This little motel on Ocean Ave was perfectly fine for a weekend stay. The front office staff and manager were friendly and helpful. Our upper floor room had a neat kitchenette with generous fridge space and some kitchen equipment in the cupboards, a sitting area with fold out couch and flat-screen TV, a small separate room with a queen bed (firm, but comfortable) and plenty of extra pillows, and a large bathroom. The bathroom was a little worn, but was fine for our needs. Overall the room was clean and had no funny smells of any kind (a common problem with hotels.) The windows opened, ceiling fans in both rooms, and the AC worked fine. It was only a couple of minute's walk to the boardwalk from here. Beach passes were included with our stay. We didn't use the pool, but it looked clean and is probably great if you have small kids who want to swim.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2007

I booked this room for a weekend after speaking to the manager, Arnie. Each time I called he would ask me "what did I quote you again" which was a little fishy. He quoted me $204 plus tax ($228 total) for a room that I was told had a Queen size bed in the bedroom, a queen size sofabed, bunkbeds and a kitcheonette. My sister went down on Friday and informed me that the room was incredibly hot. So they put the A/C on and went to the boardwalk for 2 hours. Upon their return the room felt no different than when they left. The room was very dingy, dark, dirty looking and EXTREMELY cramped. The manager came up and said the ceiling fans were turned the wrong direction and that the A/C could not be turned up to the highest temperature because it would freeze. My sister had to purchase 3 fans just to be able to BREATHE in there. Basically Arnie said there was nothing they could do. At around 4:00 am the room (bedroom) became chilly because that is the room the A/C is in, and it does not properly cool the unit, as small as it is. To tell you that the bathroom is sweltering is not even a strong enough word. There is a window about 12"x12" so there is no air circulating through there at all. I came down on Saturday and my sister and her family left. The room never got even comfortable. I went down to complain and the man who came to my room was about 20 years old and basically said there was nothing he could do and I had to talk to Arnie in the morning. Not one of us in this unit slept the entire night. About 5:00/6:00 am it started to SLIGHTLY cool off but not enough that people were comfortable sleeping. I went to complain and was pretty much told that there was nothing they could do. I told them that since it was a major inconvenience and spending $228 per night for a MUCH LESS than satisfactory stay, we should be compensated by taking money off of our stay. Arnie flat our refused. I argued and asked him if he would settle for the answers we received if it was him staying in a room that hot, and he could not answer me. I finally got $50 out of him which is nothing because we wasted the other $406 by being there. I would NEVER stay here again and I will strongly discourage others from doing so. As other posts read, the pictures on the website show cheery, updated pictures... my room was very old in need of a major overhaul. I am coming back down for a week in August and instead of staying at the Sifting Sands, I will stay right next door at the Biscayne Suites which after my tour of their rooms (including the room I will be staying in) proves to be much nicer and only about $50 more per night. I would rather pay that and be able to sleep and be comfortable than save a few bucks and stay in a dump. The only nice thing about this hotel was the pool. The parking lot is extremely tight and a maid did not come in until we were leaving. Trash was overflowing by no fault of our own. BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2006

I was shocked to read the other reviews. To me, I just don't get it. It totally exceded my expectations. It was a clean place, good pricing, friendly staff, and close to the beach. It was exactly what I was looking for, and more. And, the heated pool was a big hit with our kids.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank Tjones24
Reviewed August 16, 2006

This motel is awful! The room smelled bad, the walls and floors were dirty, the bathroom had wall-to-wall carpet (who does that??) and it reeked of urine. The air conditioner didn't work and when we complained about it we were told that you can't put it on high or it will freeze up...hello!! When we returned from the beach to take a shower, there was no hot water. The maintenance man told us it "takes a while"...after 20 minutes or so we asked where the water was coming from...Philly?? We never had hot water that day. There isn't enough parking for all of the guests of the motel. When we asked if they had additional parking we were told no, and were told to find a place on the street. Other guests were loud and shady looking. We paid over $200 per night for this pit! Stay away!!!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kathryn102
siftingsands, Manager at Sifting Sands Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2006

As a motel we totally respect the opinions of everyone that lists on Tripadvisor, the good and the bad. We love to hear both, and we take the negative, and we strive to correct 100% of everything listed in that negative listing. Although, this email looks to me to be extremely suspicious. First off, we have zero rooms with carpet in the bathrooms. Second, there is enough parking for all guests. Third, each unit has an instant hot water system, a system that we always prided ourselves for adding. Fourth, we don't have a mainainence man to even ask, as listed in the feedback in question. As far as all the feedback from everyone, We definatly appreciate it all, good and bad. And, us as a motel, priding ourselves in customer service, feel free to contact us anytime personally with any positive and negative feedback. Thank you to all future and past guest.

Reviewed August 13, 2006

We booked 2 rooms in this motel at the last minute because another area hotel "lost' our reservations. Honestly, we really weren't expecting much from this motel. We were extremely impressed and it definitely exceeded our expectations.
It was about 1 1/2 blocks from the beach right on 9th in the center of town. The owner was very friendly and let us use 4 beach passes even though we were only staying for 1 night. He accomodated our elderly travelers by providing a room on the first floor. The second room was on the second floor of the motel. It had recently been remodeled & was gorgeous (for a beach motel). It had marble floors throughout the living room and kitchenette area and also had a marble bathroom with jacuzzi tub! The kitchen appliances were new and dishes were provided. We stayed with two small children and it was perfect for our needs. The room on the first level wasn't quite as nice (it hadn't been remodeled yet), but was spacious enough and decently maintained.
One of the highlights for us was the pool (open 10-10). After checkout the owner continued to let us enjoy the pool and even let us change in the office before our drive home. They even provided bath towels at the pool. The price was a little high, but was typical for beach travel during high season. We will definitely stay here again. The location is fabulous. The owner made recommendations for dinner and was delightful to work with. We couldn't have been more pleased and highly recommend this motel.

4  Thank cmccabe
Reviewed July 8, 2006

My wife and I needed a weekend getaway. When we arrived the owner went out of his way to make sure that the room was clean and ready before we unpacked. We took a walk to the boardwalk, less than 5 minutes away(broke my diet this week..Kohr Brothers, Pizza, Johnson's Caramel Peanut Corn. My wife and I enjoyed the food and walk. We than returned to the hotel to find a clean room with a Queen Sized bed. My wfe gets crazy with hygiene and bugs and did her microscopic check..to find an emaculate room. If she approves, I know it is ok. Folks, don't expect a 5 star hotel here. The purpose is to be able to enjoy the beach..and close proximitity, the boardwalk, eating out, the hotels great heated pool and the helpful and friendly management. The owner also went out of his way to allow us to hold on to our beach badges the last day of our trip until we returned way after checkout. He only asked us to leave something of ours so we wouldn't forget to return them. It made for a wonderful weekend for both of us. Again, this hotel serves a purpose as a couple of nights for a place to sleep, shower and enjoy Ocean City in the heart of the boardwalk activity area. Thanks again.

• Stayed: July 2005