“A Must Stay”

Sifting Sands Motel
Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
“A Must Stay”
Reviewed March 10, 2006

We stayed here for a week, my wife and twin boys. It was a friendly environment that was truely inviting. A heated pool made it a plus in my book. It was clean, close to the beach, nice staff, and priced right. We will definatly be returning in 06.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed February 28, 2006

I couldn't get enough of this place. I stayed a total of 5 times this past summer of 2005. Each stay kept getting better. In 2006, I plan on staying here even more. It became my home away from home. The staff is wonderful, the place is clean, and it felt like my new home. And, with speaking with the management, I found out that there even upgrading the motel for 2006. I can't wait to see whats in store for 2006 then. I already have my reservation for my first stay with them. Whats nice is that they noticed us coming back, and even lessened the rates for being a frequent customer.

SCHWENKSVILLE
Reviewed August 15, 2005

We had stayed at the Sifting Sands prior to this review, however they were always for one day sleepover trips or quick weekend getaways. This year, however, we decided to take four days and enjoy the last of the season. We only decided to go here because we visited their website and saw that alot of improvements SEEMED to have been made. Prior to visiting their website, we only chose the Sifting Sands because of how cheap they were and their ever ready availability. Based upon what we saw when we arrived, it was obvious that nothing has changed. We booked what we were told was a "Superior" suite, replete with a kitchenette and a kitchen table. As well, we were told on the phone that the room had a seperate bedroom as well as a pull out couch. The room on the website was painted in pastel colors and looked as nice as some of the more expensive motels in Ocean City. When we arrived we entered our room and it looked exactly as all their rooms always have. Drab, spotted and stained white walls in desperate need of repair and paint, disgusting, grease or food stained carpets, sand and gunk caked in the shower, and sand in all of our sheets. It was almost as if they didnt change the sheets prior to our arrival. In addition, there was NO seperate bedroom, NO kitchen table, and the coffee table (think Unclaimed Freight 1.99 special) had a broken leg. We only found this out after moving it so that our son could sleep by himself on the pull out couch (sheets also stained and covered in sand). We decided that since we were down there to enjoy each others company we would just let it go and vow to never return. To hell with tradition. On the next day, after returning to the room at about 4pm, I went to advise management about our coffee table and the fact that the room was far from what was advertised. As well, the maid service still hadnt been in to clean and replace the sheets and towels. I went to the lobby to talk to management but was found in the way of the owner watching the current Nascar race. He kept looking around me and trying to look over me as I explained my problems. I told him that I thought my family and I were staying in the "Superior" suite. His response was, "You are." I advised him that it didnt look like the pictures on the website and that there wasnt a seperate bedroom nor a kitchen table. His response was, "They dont all look alike" I also advised him that the maids hadnt been in. His response was, "Listen, I have five girls here running around, theyll be in soon." To say I was unimpressed is an understatement considering we paid 199.00 per night for this dingy overpriced flea trap. The maid service eventually came, and impressively enough, started coming earlier after I spoke to management. Of course, in keeping with managements keen eye for customer satisfaction, THEY NEVER CHANGED THE SHEETS. I could continue on this diatribe, complaining about the cracked shower door, the cramped and dirty bathroom, the fact that you couldnt shower properly for fear that someone would flush a toilet and you would be scalded (yep, happened 2x with my wife in the shower), but I digress. Suffice it to say, If you have any intentions of ever coming to Ocean City to enjoy the sand, the surf and the boardwalk, please please please DO NOT STAY AT THE SIFTING SANDS.

10 Thank whythehellnot

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Reviewed August 3, 2005

Call me snobby but the pink exterior and the yellow flashing arrow had me thinking this place was a sure dive. We were having some car troubles and had to stay in OC. We stumbled across sifting sands and what a treat! The room was great and the people at the front desk were willing to do anything to help with any needs we had. They welcomed us like family. The bathroom shower was a tad small but VERY clean. I have been in ritzy hotels in NY that had hair and grime all over and cost 3 times what this did. It is clean, perfect location to beach and a great enviroment. Kudos to the new management as considering some other not so good reviews they must have done a 180 on this place.

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 8, 2004

Loved this place...my husband & children came down for the block party & it was the only place we could get a nightly rental on short notice. they have new owners & was truly suprised how much it had changed in the past few months. we stayed there this summer & it was in much needed repair....how suprised were we to find it clean & redone. a new family has taken over the motel & were just lovely to deal with, & anything we needed was provided for immediately. the girl at the front desk was helpful & gave us much needed info on the area & a listing of restaurants & their menus, as well as suggestions for spas, florists & stores to shop. a big A+++ over the last time we were there. we will definately stay there again this summer.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Absecon, New Jersey
Reviewed October 5, 2004

Loved the sifting sands, 9th & ocean...they are under new management & are currently redoing all their rooms. they were reasonable & clean & a block from the ocean. they have a great pool & are in the heart of ocean city, close to restaurants, boardwalk & shopping. they had a kitchenette & was close to grocery stores & wawa, & that saved us a bundle. the girl at the front desk was GREAT & so helpful....was one of the best experiences we had in ocean city in a long time.

8 Thank kathyfin1
Reviewed September 18, 2004

We were in Ocean City because we had to be. The city had been completed booked until, finally, there was a cancellation at The Sifting Sands, leary, but having no other choice I took it.

There was no phone or clock in the room and it was pretty filthy (The windows had gunk all over them, there was hair all in the bathroom, and dust and dirt everywhere....). There was no microwave like there website mentions. There was a mini refrigerator with a freezer compartment but our items in the freezer thawed and the refrigerator wasn't cold. There was a pile of particle board furniture stuff next to the refrigerator and outside our door as well.

The outside of the motel had mass lights so our room never got dark at night. We had a toddler with us who couldn't sleep because of it. At around midnight my husband suggested we just leave. I had plans in Ocean City the next day but as I watched my toddler wide awake and a cockroach running up the curtain I couldn't argue. We were out almost $150 for this experience, (a motel that might as well been off a freeway next to a truck stop and only $40), can you believe it.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member