“Close To Beach”

Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Close To Beach”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

this hotel is really close to the boardwalk and beach
there is a supermarket within walking distance
small pool with access to grill for BBQ
OCNJ is a "dry" town but hotel staff had no issues with us drinking by the pool
rooms are small and parking is cramped
close to Atlantic City
overall, not too bad for a weekend trip with friends

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Justin6212

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bucks County PA
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This is my second review of SS. I can't stress enough that if you do some research on this property, you will be pleased. For me, travel is all about the expectation. Expectation is based on not only what you hope for, but should include, at least,a little bit of research.

SS is nice, small motel turned condo. Each unit is owned individually and then rented out by management. This is not Watson's or any other high rise, high end and therefore high cost place. For around $100 bucks a night (Memorial Day weekend) we stayed here and had a nice time. However, we understand the place is tiny; even smaller that a typical hotel room with 2 queen beds. We like it because of the 2 burner cook top, sink and fridge because we choose to bring food, as it keeps our costs down. They have a pool. We understand the 'bedroom' is merely a wall put up in between the living area and the bedroom. There is no air conditioning in that room and you have to keep the door open to allow the air to enter. We know all of this and we are ok with it. I would not recommend the typical unit for a family of 4 unless the kids are very small and sleep like logs.

We have noted that cleaning people have continued to improve since our last visit and our unit was very clean. We don't like people coming into the place with all our stuff in there, so we turned down the mail service for the few days we were there and they respected our wishes. It seemed as if all they did was windex the bathroom and kitchen surfaces and sweep. We know this because the 'maid' was a young man with windex, paper towels and broom in his hand when he came knocking. It is possible he would have made the bed; but we don't know for sure.

We've gotten to know the manager onsite, Arnie, and find that if you are kind to him, he is kind to you. Yes he was a little 'grumpy' the very first time we met him and I had read that on the reviews here, but I didn't let that stop me from being nice to him. Remember his name, be nice; it goes a long way. If you are a repeat customer, he will take care of you; as he did with us on our third visit. He will do his best to get you the room you want or 'the best' they have.

I don't understand the bad and dirty reviews here, but the two most recent ones were with visitors in the 'off' season and the rooms may not have the daily cleaning or even maintenance cleaning that they would likely get during the busy season. That would seem to be the reason for the disparity in reviews. I realize it doesn't make it acceptable, but it could explain the reason.

The other issue here is knowing the room you are getting. I always ask if they have a new or newer updated bathroom TILE. Just because they have a new toliet does not mean they have newer tile. Why tile?... if the owner has spent the money to remove the 1970's pink tile, then they have likely takne the time and money to update and 'make nice' the rest of their unit. I have never been disappointed when I have asked that question. My recommendation - avoid the rooms with the old tile in the bathroom. How can you know?... search the web for SS. They have a few websites, some of which have pictures of the rooms for each unit. These sites are not the current site that SS will refer you to, but they are great for seeing actual pictures of each unit which is numbered. Again, some pictures are old, and Arnie will tell you they have been updated, but you can ask while in the process of booking, does that have new tile now?, etc. I find they are a very good representation of what you will get. Even if the unit you want is not available, sometimes the owner of one room, owns another and you can ask does 35 own 36 even if 36's pictures is outdated. That can give you a feel for the care that the owner took of 35 is likely reflected in 36. It's not a perfect science, but it has worked for us.

To sum it all up - I would not hesitate to stay here again, do your research of the unit you want (and have backup choices too) stay in season and you shouldn't have any problems.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank partyelfllc
Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

My family and I have been vacationing at ocean city nj for years! We normally stay at biscayne suites but because they were booked solid we decided to try sifting sands!!! WROBG DECISION! First off it smelled like they let a group of people animals etc come in there and pee ALL OVER the floor the room was small one tv worked we literally were so disgusted with it my parents got their money back! It smelled like cigarettes and it's suppose to be smoke free! Like seriously of I had a dog I wouldn't let him en step foot in their took my two yr old in their and had to IMMEDIATELY remove him because the smell was making me sick! We weren't going to settle for that no matter how bad we wanted to be in oc nj on memorial day weekend! If there was any rating less then one I'd give it! And to think they thought it was cleaning like that's so nasty if I could report them to a health department I would!

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Kdharris08

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Lansdale, PA
Reviewed October 18, 2011

My son and I were staying in Ocean City in August and decided that we were having such a good time we would extend our vacation. Unfortunately, the nice hotel we were staying in was not available. We called at least 8 other hotels and motels that we know are nice but everyone was sold out. So we went up the street to the Sifting Sands figuring "How bad could it be?". The answer is "Terrible!". On hind sight, we should have just gone home because it really put a damper on our vacation.

In Summary, the room felt and looked dirty with stains on all of the furniture, bedding and rugs. We slept on top of the already made bed as I feared what lurked beneath the covers! There was no closet to hang your clothes, the furniture was a hodge podge of pieces thrown together, the tv's are old style, parking is horrendous, the walkways are filthy, the pool was not clean, the washing machine facility was a disgrace, and I could go on and on. The lighting in the bathroom was so poor that it was dark inside the shower stall. (Maybe on purpose? We used wash rags to stand on so our feet wouldn't touch the tile!)

Extremely overpriced for this dump but I guess they can get it in season. What a shame! I urge you all to stay away. They certainly don't care if you are there given the level of customer service we received.

2 Thank HospitalityMaven1
Plainview, New York
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Room was clean and had nice small kitchen – very helpful with small kids 
Just a few minutes walking distance from must attraction – and also had a nice pool.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Do Not ever stay here.....it was the nastiest,dirtiest, dump I have ever seen in my life.....No smoke alarm,bed wasnt fit for roaches, no mattress pad on bed, black black walls, couldnt even to begin to say what was all over the walls, baseboard thick with crud, filthiest place i have ever seen, many people talking the same about theirs, booked one room,got another with horrible service about it,

2 Thank UserHe8083
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 26, 2011

This is my second year staying here with my sister and nephews and we will be back next year! Rooms are going are in the process of being updated and have small kitchens which is very nice. There is a heated pool that is very nice and kept clean. They offer a beach shuttle but we didn't use it. Also on Wednesday nights they have a free meal of hot dogs and hamburgers which was great! The staff was very helpful with offering extra towels and things. The room was small but as are in the Ocean City Area. There are plenty of things to do all with in walking distance including the beach and boardwalk!