“It was ok last minute.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sifting Sands Motel

Sifting Sands Motel
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Wenonah, New Jersey
“It was ok last minute.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

The room itself was nicely remodeled. Everything was well maintained and clean. The pool was alot of fun, the temp was perfect and we used it everday. It was very close to the beach and boardwalk, we were able to walk everywhere. The clientele wasn't great. We were scheduled to leave on a Saturday morning and the guests that arrived Friday night made me very uncomfortable. The owner was onsite and immediatly handled any issues. I would stay again but more than likely only during the weeh.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bucks County, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We got this room at the last minute. The price was not bad being you were within 2 blocks of beach. The pool was nice but small. Our room had a re-done bathroom and was pretty clean. I would say the most discouraging aspect was the front desk help. The young girl behind the desk was dressed very provocatively and was not very professional, both on our checking and checking out procedures. She did not represent what I would call front desk service.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

I was here for a short weekend working with clients. The room was small and clean. It had a nice kitchenette which had everything we needed (except a corkscrew). The room was not out of this world, but I felt comfortable staying there. Outdated decorations and bedding but still comfortable. The bed was comfortable as well. The staff was helpful giving me parking advice on how to handle a second car that was arriving and even allowing me to keep my car in the lot after I checked out. The parking lot was small, but there was always a space there when I needed to park. The pool was nice as well. This place is nice for a quick short stay in Ocean City.

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask about options. Each unit is priately owned and unique.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Dickson City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

Our vacation was absolutely amazing! The weather was beautiful but most important was the motel was so clean, updated and so close to EVERYTHING. We parked our car and didn't use it all week. The boardwalk and beach were just a short walk from the motel, literally. It was great! The staff were great, so helpful and friendly. I can go on and on . I just can't say enough. I would highly recommend Sifting Sands Motel to everyone!!
The Cipriano Family

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Berks County, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

I booked this motel fairly last minute. My vacation budget was limited so we didn't stay at our normal hotel of choice. Sifting Sands is in a decent location and the price was right. The room was clean but the bathroom looked original to the building giving it the impression of not being well kept. It had a very musty smell from not getting fresh air often (my 4 yr. old kept mentioning the weird smell every time we walked in the door). Our room was cramped to the point that we almost put our suitcase back in the car so we could walk freely. The beds were comfortable, the staff was very accommodating by letting us keep our beach tags past check out as well as stay parked in their lot, and the room was clean. I would recommend this motel for a short stay if you can handle a no-frills experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Bucks County PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

We travel to OC every year. Most times with our two boys, this most recent trip was just the two of us. I have to say, I stayed here years ago and was not happy. This time, it was better. Yes, all of rooms are privately owned so they vary greatly. That said, when you go online you can look at each one of the rooms to understand what you will get. If you look carefully at the pictures, you can tell which ones have an updated bathroom. I think that sets the tone for the rest of the unit - so choose carefully. Our first time we did feel attitude from the management. Not so this time. The manager (an older gentleman and I forget his name) was very nice to me from my telecon with him to the day we left. He knew we were repeat guests and even recommended a different room than the one I had originally called for. He did not steer me wrong. We like our unit and appreciated that it had faux wood floors and not dirty sand filled carpets. The bathroom, countertops and even burner unit were new. The place was nicely painted as well.

Yes, these are very tiny units. You walk in and there is the kitchen on one side, a futon on the other and two doors lead to either the small bedroom or the bathroom. When we stayed years ago we learned that you could not close the bedroom door or you wouldn't get any air as the unit only has on A/C unit which is located in the main 'living room' area. So much for a bedroom and privacy, if you have kids. When we did come before with kids, they were little and pooped out when we returned to the room. I would not stay here with my kids now and the place is too small and not possible to manuever around with 4 (almost) adults. However, it was perfect, clean and nicely kept for my husband and I on a quick and quite couples getaway.

For those that don't know the area, it's a quick 1 1/2 block walk to the beach and boards. No need for your car the entire stay as everything is in walking distance. Great restaurants and shopping all around!

If you carefully decide which unit to stay in and are assured that your unit has a new(er) bathroom, you should be ok. Oh, and the cleaning people have gotten much better since our last stay.

Room Tip: Go online and look at each one of the rooms before
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
manahawkin, nj
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2011

luckily never made it to this hotel..we had to cancel reservation, more than 2 weeks in advance, whoever answered the phone when we cancelled was downrite nasty and rude..when asked when the money would be refunded to my debit card i was told when he got around to it..and this was before Memorial Day..can imagine what would happen during the busy summer months...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends