“Diner, minus the brassy waitresses and 1,000 menu items”

Chatterbox Restaurant
Ranked #47 of 225 Restaurants in Ocean City
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast
Description: Where The Town Meet
Reviewed August 1, 2014

The Chatterbox is the kind of place you drop in for a quick meal at a guaranteed table before heading off to shop downtown or hit the boardwalk. It does not, however, offer much more than basic sustenance at a very reasonable price. The BBQ beef sandwich was a standout, but it came with chips, not the fries the menu detailed, and the coleslaw on the side could have come from Acme. The black and blue burger (a double!) was not blackend, and didn't have the lettuce or tomato the waitress suggested. The kid's ravioli sauce, as we all agreed, tasted "a little weird." Service started out strong but then fizzled just as our cups needed refilling. The space, which was renovated after Sandy, is almost entirely brown and puts off a rather institutional feel. It is flabbergasting why the new owners didn't take the chance to liven up the space when presented with the opportunity. Nostalgia, and a very affordable menu, may be the only things sustaining this OC icon.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Looking for breakfast for 7 on Saturday morning after 10am when the whole island is flipping over for the next crowd to start their vacation. Came upon the Chatterbox and they were able to seat us inside immediately. Server was very nice and friendly. Standard breakfast menu. Nothing fancy. Sis had her favorite cinnamon toast and said it was excellent. Oatmeal was a bit runny and was served without the raisins I requested. Probably will pass on oatmeal again. Breakfast sandwich on a bagel with no meat was inexpensive and good. With tip, it was $13 per person.

1  Thank jackiepaddy
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

If I was rating for service, I would give it five stars. Our server was extremely attentive, came back several times to check on us as we were eating breakfast outside. I didn't realize that this establishment was so badly affected by Hurricane Sandy, though I knew OC as a whole suffered. The food was good not five star good but good enough for me to return. I ordered two eggs, hash browns, toast, sausage, coffee. My son had the bagel & egg sandwich with bacon. He had the strawberry banana smoothie. I have to say I make the same one at home & it is so much better. They need to add yogurt & more ice so it would have more of a frozen feel. $19.95 before tip. We'll be back.

1  Thank JamaicanQueen39
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We have been coming to the Chatterbox for years and I have written a previous review about how much we like the place. The ownership changed this year and it's just not the same. I took my girls the other night for dinner and it was just one issue after another. From the long wait for a table (when there were 6+ tables open) to the waitress who when she finally got to our table told us she could only take our drink orders and would need to come back in a bit, to the food being so so, to forgetting soups and still charging us for them (after we
reminder her we didn't get them) to being given back another
customer's credit card. There was no "Sorry for the mix up, delay, service". Overall it was a weird and very disappointing experience. As we left my girls said " let's take this off our list". We are in Ocean City for most of the summer and have routinely gone to the Chatterbox. We won't be back this season. Maybe next year will be better.

2  Thank moppa
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Maybe because we were a large party, the service (kitchen) was very, very slow. The food did not come out all at once but a little at a time. A few people from our group were finished with their meals before others even got their food. The food was expensive and just ok. The hostess and waitress were very nice but clearly overwhelmed. Unfortunately, we will not be returning.