“Great Breakfast for families!”
Review of Bongo Cafe & Grille - CLOSED

Bongo Cafe & Grille
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Description: Creative dishes served in an upbeat retro beach setting. Serving breakfast, lunch & dinner. Separate vegan menu available. Gluten-free options. Pet friendly outdoor seating, in season.
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We ate at Bongo Café on our last morning in Ocean City and the omelette's were delicious! I had the Mediterranean Omelette and it was light, and filled with great ingredients. The place was decorated nicely, clean and the staff was friendly and had toys for the kids to play with that were from back when I was a kid! The kid's single pancake was large enough to feed both my twins and was a great breakfast for them! This place is definitely worth the short drive from the boardwalk! The prices were reasonable and average for the area.

1  Thank Robin A

Reviewed June 30, 2013

What a gem! We visited Bongo, a cute neighborhood cafe, and were blown away by the food...unexpected choices...not just the usual bacon and eggs....although they have that too.
Service with a smile was prompt. I loved the roasted potato, ham and broccoli quiche, served with fresh fruit, and my husband had two poached eggs and sausage over an English muffin, topped with cheese sauce, which was decadently delicious. Eat out or in. Don't miss it. They have lunch and dinner too!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We went to Bongos because of a recommendation from our hotel. They food & service is delicious! Make sure to try the cannoli pancakes!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Ocean City, New Jersey is not know for fine dining, and its boardwalk and downtown are both dominated by unhealthy fast food options, not very well prepared.

Bongo Café does not vary too much from the norm in terms of selection (with some exceptions including mahi mahi tacos, a blackened rare tuna appetizer), but the quality of food here is surprisingly good. Located off the main drag and several long blocks from the boardwalk, it likely draws mainly folks staying nearby. It does not have a whole lot of seating, so it probably can't accommodate much more than that.

In any case, we chose this place by browsing the internet to find somewhere that offered by burgers and pizza, and were attracted by its offering of grilled pizza (some pizza in Ocean City is notoriously bad - Manco and Manco is more remarkable for its puddles of grease than its taste).

The grilled pizza turned out to have a crunch crust, a tasty homemade tomato sauce, and tasty toppings - we loved it. The hamburger and fries - and even the cole slaw - were also really good, giving the impression that the food here is prepared with care and precision, and not just thrown together for the tourists. I was afraid to try the Mexican items, but now I wish we had tried the enchiladas or fish tacos - I bet they'd have been well made as well.

Prices were a little higher than in some other venues, but still reasonable. We also had to wait a little longer than we might have elsewhere. But I think in this case that's a good thing, implying food made to order and fresh.

Service was very friendly - giving the impression of being a family business whose employees care about customers.

Worth walking (or driving - there is plenty of street parking nearby) a few blocks off the boardwalk.

2  Thank profegringo
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We went here for breakfast while on vacation. While the food was excellent, and the service good, the prices were not. Considering the portions and what you get - $45 for breakfast for 2 - I would say it is too expensive. Due to it's somewhat distant location from the boardwalk and the high prices, I have dissent from the other reviewers and not advise people to go out of their way to eat here.

PattyCakes1050, Owner at Bongo Cafe & Grille, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Please let us know what you ordered at Bongo Cafe. I did some calculations and found it really hard to get a breakfast for 2 up to $45.00! A "regular" breakfast of eggs, meat, home fries and toast, an order of buttermilk pancakes, 2 coffees and 2 juices would only be about $23.00. Even two of our more expensive entrees like our Prime Rib Hash ($11.95) or our Eggs Bongo with crab meat ($11.95) with juice and coffee wouldn't cost you $45.00! Perhaps you purchased merchandise like hats or t-shirts?! I would really appreciate a response as we try very hard to offer the best quality and prices! You the first person to complain about portion size, too! Most people say our portions are large! Thank you!