“Best Choice over an Atlantic City NJ casino hotel: a beautiful bed and breakfast”

Atlantis Inn Luxury B&B
Ranked #1 of 20 Ocean City B&B and Inns
Chappaqua, NY
Reviewed September 16, 2007

Don’t waste anymore time searching because you won’t find a more beautiful, romantic, and a more lush place at the beach than the Atlantis Inn.

And if you are planning a trip to Atlantic City, NJ, skip the casino hotel altogether, and stay at the Atlantis Inn Luxury Bed and Breakfast. It will result in a much more enjoyable weekend getaway. It took between 10-15 minutes to drive into AC to see the concert we had tickets for, and we had dinner at the Palm Steakhouse at the Trop. But I am so glad we opted not to actually spend the night in AC. We have stayed at all the major casino hotels: the Borgata, the Trop, Resort, The Taj and Caesars. The cost of the hotels stays are either more expensive and some comparable to the Atlantis Inn (depending on when you go), and the atmosphere…well…a hotel is a hotel is a hotel…and it’s a hotel in a not too much of a desirable town…what else can I say. Atlantis Inn was the best choice we made with respect to the whole weekend. It made our weekend just spectacular!

Now that we have discovered this wonderful gem, we will always stay here every time we get the itch to fly down to AC on a whim.

• Liked — beauty
  • Disliked — wish it was a tad closer to AC
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
23 Thank DancerWP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 9, 2007

I've been vacationing in Ocean City for 20 years, and I've stayed at many different places. I don't know if I've ever been so disappointed. I stayed for three nights with my wife, and my mother stayed for five. My wife and I have stayed at several B&Bs, and we've always enjoyed the genuinely friendly and warm innkeepers, the homemade breakfasts and the comfortable and inviting atmospheres. You won't find any of these here.

After reading all of the glowing reviews here, and noting the awards the inn has received, we thought we were in for a treat. This is what we found:

Breakfast...IS AWFUL. I mean terrible. Three covered chafing dishes contain scrambled eggs, home fries, sausage and bacon, with a different "gourmet" item each day. I was surprised to see that breakfast was buffet style, and even more surprised at the poor setup and quality. Bacon was certainly not meant to be kept in a covered chafing dish. The "gourmet" items included eggs benedict that was so hard on the bottom it couldn't be cut and a quiche that was so overcooked it was utterly inedible. Milk sits out for hours and is warm. I tried to stick with the cut "fresh" fruit, but had to work around the rotting strawberries. I've enjoyed the continental breakfasts offered at national chain hotels more than the Atlantis breakfast!

Afternoon Tea...Is fine, but don't try to enjoy the beverage in your room or on the rooftop deck. It is forbidden.

Videos...Are offered, in a Blockbuster-esque format, where you have to find the innkeepers to get the videos, which are secured. Are you kidding me? You don't trust your guests at a luxury B&B not to steal videos?

Ice...Buckets are provided only if you ask for them. The maid will remove the bucket, and you'll have to ask the innkeepers for a bucket again the next day, which may prompt a smart comment such as "You guys must really like your ice," as we received. Also, Bob will try to get the ice for you, which may appear to be "service," but seemed to me to be because he didn't trust us to touch his icemaker.

Bottled water and Sprite are provided in a fridge for guests....for a charge of 50 cents each. We've received complimentary bottles of water (and candies) in our rooms every day at other B&Bs, but when you pay the highest rates on the island to stay at the Atlantis, you have to pay for your bottle of water. I thought this was really tacky. Also, guests are instructed not to place personal items in the fridge. At other places a fridge and a microwave are provided for the guests to use. There is no microwave here, although Bob and Kristina will refrigerate something for you if you ask them.

The innkeepers....were nice, but in that way that you have to be nice when you are an innkeeper. Out of the B&Bs we've stayed at, Bob and Kristina were the coolest and most aloof.

Rooms: While the furniture and linens are high-end, the rooms are cramped, and too small for the large pieces of furniture. The two-person showers are nice, but could they spare more than one bar of soap? The flat screen TVs are nice but small, and my mom's stopped working one night--we had to wake Kristina, who didn't know what was wrong. Finally, I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, and that worked. The next morning, we heard Bob say that that had been happening quite a bit with that TV. It would have been nice to let us know, or at least to let Kristina know, so she would have been able to help us.

All in all, we all felt we had overpaid significantly. When we return to Ocean City, we'll stay at Serendipity on 9th Street or one of the other B&Bs.

• Liked — The sheets
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank JosephPhelps
New Jersey
Reviewed August 2, 2007

Let me start off by saying that my husband and I have stayed at many B&Bs throughout the country -- several of which were in the luxury/high-end category. I am nine-months pregnant and we were very much looking forward to our two-day getaway to the Atlantis Inn before the baby is born.

The Atlantis Inn proudly boasts itself as a "luxury" B&B/inn, as evident by its use of the word "luxury" and "gourmet breakfast" multiple times on their website and brochure. But the only luxurious things about this place are the bedding/linens and Bvlgari bath accessories.

I have never written a review before, but for some reason I feel compelled after our less-than enjoyable stay here. We are not hard to please people at all. In fact, we love staying at the “average” B&B with great hospitality just as much as one with a beautiful king-size poster bed and spa bath.

Here are the major aspects that led to our disappointment with the Atlantis Inn:

Breakfast
Normally, what sets B&Bs a part from staying at other inns is the breakfast. They are usually home-cooked meals, often with multiple courses, which are plated and served to each customer. We have never experienced a B&B that serves a buffet breakfast. But because they’re website kept referring to a “gourmet” breakfast, we figured we’d take a chance. Let me tell you, there is nothing, and I mean nothing, gourmet about this breakfast. Scrabbled eggs and home fries in chafing dishes is not gourmet! These were served on both days of our stay. The only variation was the additional option of eggs benedict the first day and egg/cheese quiche the second day. Everything else was exactly the same. Not very “gourmet” at all.

The Innkeepers
Our first impression of the innkeepers was that they were cold and aloof. They did nothing wrong per se, but certainly did not make us feel warm and welcomed. This took us by surprise as we are used to B&B owners being overly friendly and down-to-earth. They definitely run their business more as a hotel or inn rather than a bed & breakfast. For starters, there’s an actual check-in desk as you enter the front door (albeit made out of an authentic bar) which we felt took away from the homey atmosphere of the beautiful foyer and living room. And then there’s the feeling that these innkeepers are not here to go out of their way for you. For example, on the first day, we were 10 minutes late for the afternoon tea and upon walking towards the dining room, we were told that we were too late and that they were “already setting up for breakfast.” Okay, I understand we all have schedules to keep to, but c’mon, really! Even if they were already setting up for the next morning, would it hurt to offer their guests a cup of tea or muffin anyways? At the time, however, we didn’t think much of it and went along our way.

The next morning at “breakfast”, I politely asked if they had any skim milk. The response: “No, just whole milk, sorry.” Is this 1970? I don’t know any place that doesn’t offer an alternative to whole milk. But again, I accepted this and just opted for orange juice instead. In retrospect though, I think they could have been more accommodating and at least offered to have skim milk available for the next morning. (I guess that’s just what I would have done.)

Ok, now here’s the kicker. At our breakfast the final morning, my English muffin had mold on it! So, I very discreetly went over to the innkeeper and explained the situation to him. His response was simply “Oh no.” There was no apology, no sincere explanation, no make good, nothing.

The only upside to our getaway were our dinners, which were recommended by the innkeepers via an email upon reserving our room. (The Inlet on the water in Somers Point and Café 2825 in Atlantic City were both wonderful!)

Too bad we didn’t ask them for a recommendation for breakfast!

• Liked — The room, bedding/linens
  • Disliked — Breakfast, innkeepers, poor value
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank cgilberg
Rockville, MD
Reviewed June 22, 2007

My husband and I stayed the second week of June in the Bordeaux suite at the Atlantis Inn. Our room was lovely: beautifully decorated, comfortable, and immaculate, The breakfast was delicious and different each day. The location is great. The rooftop view was breathtaking. There was a nice mix of guests from young to old.

The host couple were the most gracious and helpful we've ever encountered at a B&B. They were not at all intrusive but yet always avaliable to answer questions or print out directions for you.

Having afternoon tea sitting on the wrap-around front porch in wicker rockers is my idea of heaven. We hadn't been to Ocean City, NJ, in forty years and were delighted to find such a gem at the shore. It was easier to get to for us than Ocean City, MD. We definitely recommend it and will return again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — WIFI down but repair made ASAP.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
22 Thank sisflynn
Philly
Reviewed June 4, 2007

After reading all the rave reviews of the Atlantis, my wife and I decided to splurge for our anniversary/her birthday weekend getaway from the kids. I chose the Queen bed apartment (Villa d'Milano) reasoning that most B&B rooms give you just that...a bed in a small room and little room to spread out. The apartment was only $25 a night more than the cheapest room so I figured the amenities would be comparable and having a couch and extra tv room would be nice. I care not about shower spas, fireplaces or hot tubs (wife is pregnant) so the nicely appointed bedroom would be fine. First impressions of the Atlantis were very good...the building has truly been lovingly restored and is beautiful inside and out...lobby is beautifully decorated and the owners are very nice personable folks.

However, the fencing around the property is vinyl and is already showing wear and tear...missing a post cap, the gate to our private courtyard was broken so it had to be lifted up to latch and unlatch it...For the amount of money put into the restoration, I was quite surprised they didn't spring for a composite, wood or iron fence...maintenance yes, I know, but at least they don't blow away or fall apart from use.

We went into a long enclosed sunporch on the side of the building which led to our apartment...nice little area but it wasn't cooled so it seems it would only be useful in the winter, and there was not seating or anything inside of it.

The room door was beautiful wood and leaded glass, big old fashioned hardware and lock, very nice. The first thing I noticed in the room was ...glitter...all over the fabric covered bench at the end of the bed...yes it may be expensive fabric and hard to clean, but I still expect it to be clean when I check in. Then I noticed the curtain rod holder on the wall was cocked about 45 degrees....apparently the maid just pushed it when cleaning or something...so I went over and fixed it. Through the curtained doorway was the kitchen, and that is where the underwhelming really began. I'm not sure what about the fridge was more distinctive, its appearance or its loud hum. The paint was worn off it in spots, black showing through the whitish paint...which needed a good cleaning to remove stuck-on food...can I just say "yuck"? Move down the galley kitchen to the FILTHY trashcan in the corner. I have a white trashcan in my kitchen and it is not covered in food filth...I do not expect this anywhere I stay let alone from a "luxury" resort! The end kitchen cabinet had two screws driven so far into its side that the laminate had cracked and was popping off...again, why not just make it right? Get into the bathroom...chipped off corner of the medicine cabinet mirror and dime sized chip out of the sink surround...C'mon people, what the hell am I paying all this money for exactly? The heating/ac vent was screwed into the wall above the toilet with two dry wall screws, nice touch. Noticed the next day that the grab bar in the tub was pulled out of its socket as well. The large shower head was quite nice, the full size mirror on the back of the door (which hits the commode if you try to open it all the way, and allows you to look at yourself sitting on the can) was not nice...for obvious reasons.

Loved the Bulgari bath products, very, very nice. The sheets and bedding were also great but the bed was a tad soft for me and the fridge hummed so loud it practically shook the room so I didnt really sleep well. The walls had some minor chips and staining here and there in the kitchen entry, bedroom and sitting room. Ginormous furniture everywhere...a tad too much in my opinion...would've rathered more seating less "stuff".

Ok now to the "flat screen tvs" - hallmarks of luxury, right? What a joke...these suckers are like 15" widescreens mounted a good 8 feet from the bed! Get out your binoculars if you want to watch. Went in the sitting room, good size, contains a closet, pull out couch and an armoire that could be King Kong's lunch box...Opened the giant doors only to find...another 15" tv! Damn! At least it was closer to the couch...but how crazy is that? I just got back from Disney World and had a 40 sum inch flat screen in my room that was smaller than this apartment. The armoire is so big that it gouged the ceiling when being installed and one of the doors has gouged out several deep long grooves in the adjoining wall....why no one has repaired and painted over these and/or installed a door stop is beyond me...I was half tempted to go to Home Depot myself and buy a door stop but it was my vacation after all.

Wake up from a rough night's sleep go to the breakfast buffet...yes, I said buffet. It was mostly good, fresh fruit, bagels as long as you liked blueberry, greasy bacon, sausage, good potatoes, but eggs benedict and scrambled eggs in chafing dishes just doesn't cut it...anyone who knows about food knows these will just be way overdone and tough...so I skipped them. Again I'm not quite getting the luxury component here...I asked my wife if maybe rich people go elsewhere for breakfast?

Had a nice chat with the owner and other guests about weather, our stay, etc. I lied and said how well I had slept, the usual polite banter.

Got back to the room, saw the broken stuff in the bathroom again, the dirty fridge (verified the brown stuff stuck to the door was food and was removable), dirty traschan, layer of dust on the toilet tissue roll holder, and decided I would like to change rooms if possible. So I let the wife do the talking. We wandered the lobby til the owner asked if he could help us with something...so I pointed to the wife and let her explain the fridge was noisy and could we change rooms? Unfortunately all rooms were booked but we were told a repair person would be called to look at it (presumably after our stay) and that we could just unplug the fridge if it was empty (which I had wanted to do but the wife wouldn't let me) and enjoy our stay blah, blah, blah.

So then my mouth got the better of me and I explained the room was a bit tired, all the broken items, needed a good cleaning touch up painting, etc. My wife said the owner looked quite shocked at what I was telling him...I didn't say it rudely but felt that if I was going to have to stay in that room, he should know what his guests are thinking about it. He again explained there were no rooms available and thanks for the feedback. I said it was fine, no big deal, just wanted to let him know.

I really enjoyed the Atlantis being so close to the boardwalk and beach...really great location. I really liked the main building but didn't make it up to the roof deck or to see the rest of the place, but would have liked to. I think the owners are really nice people, especially the Mrs. I also think I should've been offered something to make up for the quality of my room...free robe or extra bath stuff, just something to acknowledge I had a less than stellar experience and to show they sincerely care about their guests....Oh well, maybe if I had talked to the wife instead.

Would I stay here again? Maybe, maybe not. Linens and amenities that I don't use don't make or break my vacation. Location, room cleanliness/upkeep, price, and customer service do. Either way, I would not stay in the Villa d'Milano again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness/Room Condition
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank BarnsBabyBarns
New Jersey
Reviewed February 28, 2007

My boyfriend and I have stayed at Atlantis Inn 2x in the past year- once in the Bordeaux Room the other in Seville. The B&B is located coveniently to the beach- just a few walking blocks from the boardwalk and less than 10 minutes drive from Atlantic City.
The hosts are very welcoming and extremely hospitable without being intrusive. Both rooms were wonderful- very cozy & grand. Also the bathrooms are kept impeccably clean. We enjoyed the Bordeaux room very much w/ its design of rich red tones- very romantic! The buffet breakfast was very generous not to mention delicious with so many selections offered. I'm already looking forward to staying at Atlantis Inn again sometime this summer!

• Liked — Jacuzzi tub & Body Spa Shower
  • Disliked — Value!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
18 Thank vamangos
Maryland
Reviewed September 4, 2006

This was our first time at a bed and breakfast and we absolutely loved it. As frequent visitors of Nemacolin and Grand Velas Resorts, I was a little skeptical of visiting a Bed and Breakfast because I know that I am used to a certain quality of accomodations. Atlantis Inn was perfect.

1. Bob and Kristin were very personable and helpful. They continously asked if everyone was OK or if we needed anything.

2. Breakfast was great (especially the French Toast). We were getting used to waking up at 7:30 to the smell of the breakfast that was being cooked. We understood this to be a Bed and Breakfast and not a restaurant so we didn't expect a made to order breakfast. We also enjoyed the afternoon baked goods prepared by Bob during the afternoon tea.

3. We had no problems parking on the street in front of the Inn. We did not have to use the spaces in the parking garage that were provided by the Inn.

4. The Inn was extremely clean, well-maintained, well-decorated and provided high quality amenities such as the rooms, the sitting areas, the bedding and the china used for breakfast. (This is what you are paying for and it is well worth it.)

We definately look forward to going back for another relaxing weekend.

• Liked — Accomondations/Inn Keepers
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple