“My Aching Back”
Review of Biscayne Suites

Biscayne Suites
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Overall, the experience at the Biscayne Suites was mostly good. We took a trip down for a September weekend with our 3 daughters and the place was spacious enough for all of us. We had an updated penthouse suite, and we even had dinner in one night, along with another friend. The cost was way less than any other place I'd checked out and it was a good deal for a suite. There was plenty of room to spread out. The first night, we decided that the 3 girls should have the king sized bed, so my husband and I took the sleeper sofa. The mattress on the sleeper was almost non-existent; it barely felt as though we had a mattress. We felt every bump, bar, and spring. We clung to our own sides of the mattress so that we wouldn't roll into the abyss in the middle. We didn't get much sleep and were achy and sore. One of our daughters opted to leave after one night and our remaining daughters insisted that we trade places for the 2nd night. Thanks to them, my husband and I had at least one night's sleep in the bed, while the girls took the sofa-bed. Other than that, the place was decent enough, however if I took a trip with the entire family again, I'd worry too much about the sleeping situation. My only other complaint was that the place had directtv, so the local sports station in the (Philadelphia) area was not available. I was desperate to catch the last couple of innings of the Phillies when we got back to the room the first night, but I was unable to view the game. That was a big deal for me.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank cherylpd1

Reviewed September 4, 2011

Stayed for 4 nights in July. The place was sold out and did not feel over crowded, even at the pool. We stayed in unit 101, which was an end unit with a lot of windows. It was updated with a flat screen TV and looked freshly painted. The room was clean and had all the necessities to make a complete meal in the kitchenette. There was a table and chairs so that every one could eat together. The bedroom was very large and the king size bed extremely comfortable. The bathroom had storage above the toilet for towels and personal items. It looked like the bathroom was recently updated as well. Friends stayed at the hotel as well and their room was not as updated or nice. I would definitely stay here again! Great location, close to great restaurants, boardwalk and beach. Parked our car and walked. Grocery store 2 blocks away which was great! I'd stay again and in the same room since some rooms are not updated.

Room Tip: Ask for room 101, larger and updated.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank T H
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I found this hotel to be clean, there was parking and the staff was very friendly. However... I cannot give a good rating because the there was otherwise little value for the money... and it cost more than room at the Marriot Marquis n Manhatten! the hotel is in bad need of an update and refurbishing. The bathroom was very small with there was nowhere but the toilet tank lid to store anyhting, and even some baseboard tiles were missing. The furniture was old, a bit banged-up and out of style. Overall it looked like a depressed place trying to keep up appearances. I found it to be a 'downer' place for a vacation. Fortunatley I was ther only two days.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Cary J
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We picked this hotel because it was rated the number 6th best in Ocean City . We got a good rate for seven days and the Hotel is very convenient to the boardwalk . The desk staff were very nice and polite , very helpful with all our questions . We stayed on the third floor room 317 . We were supposed to have a room with an entrance to the bathroom from our bedroom and the living room .
That wasn't the case .We had to cross through the living room where our exchange student was sleeping . This was uncomfortable for all of us . The sofabed mattress was only two worn out inches thick . I bought an 8 inch air mattress to put under the sofa mattress for comfort . The maids only clean what in eye sight view . we had to move the bedroom bureau so we could plug in the DVD player and boy was there dirt and old candy behind that . We also found old receipts from back in July behind the living room TV stand . I found an old tube of KY on top of the light over the sink in the bathroom . I know it sounds as though I am nit picking but for the number 6 hotel to be cleaned like this ,come on ! Hey No Bed bugs though . We had some very inconsiderate neighbors too ! Room 315 was right beside us and we were trying to sleep at 12 am . The people next door were very loud and laughing and yelling ,having a good old time not even giving a thought as to what time it was and that maybe people actually go to bed at a decent time . No I didn't call the front desk because the people next door would have known who complained and I was not looking for trouble . I just think people should be more considerate of other people and the time to quiet down should be 11 pm not early morning hours .
Their were two elevators in the building , a small one and a large one . The small one got stuck or broke down several times when we were there . I was just thankful it didn't break down when we left . We used the stairs all the time except when we first got there with our luggage and when we left .
The pool on the roof was nice though . But the first day we got there the water was pretty cold .The pool was supposed to be heated . Some one had asked why the water was so cold and the answer was the maintenance man was supposed to turn the temperature up in the pool and instead he turned it off . They turned the heater on but it took one whole day for the water to get warm . I know none of these problems or concerns are major and some may be over looked but I thought I would write a honest and in depth truthful review . PS : Take a small car because the parking is very tight and people have very big SUV's and vans these days . I left my car parked the whole time and some days I only had a foot in between my car and the other persons car .I wouldn't have been able to get in my car that day from the drivers side .

4  Thank Spaydman
Reviewed August 21, 2011

The location of this hotel is fabulous: right smack in the middle of the Ocean City Broadwalk which is 2 very short walks to the Atlantic Ocean. This place is within walking distance of shopping on Ashbury, around the corner from the Varsity Inn (great place for breakfast) and the do-not-miss ice cream store right on the corner. They have 2 elevators. The walls on each floor have great art work. Clean, attractive indoor corridors with carpeting. The rooms are very large (we had an efficiency 2 room suite on the first floor facing the front of Ocean Street. The king bed was great! The kids had their own room. Both rooms had large, flat panel screen TVs and good cable selection. The pool on the 4th floor overlooks the city. Fabulous view at night. Can also have a party on the 4th floor pool deck. Just a nice, attractive hotel in a perfect location. Residential area across the street. Go to the 13th street bike rental and take a ride all the way down Ocean Street through the residential area that almost no one sees except the locals. What a treat. Ride to where it dead ends, veer to the right and find the greatest surf beach on the Atlantic Ocean!

Room Tip: Book your room on the street side. Nice view.
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed at Biscayne Suites for 3 nights in August 2011.

Pros:
* Location: 1 and 1/2 blocks from boardwalk and beach; between 8th and 9th
* Clean, spacious suites
* Offstreet parking
* Beach tags included
* Plenty of restaurants nearby: Varsity Inn, Chatterbox, Hobby Horse Ice Cream, Mac and Mancos on Boardwalk at 8th and 9th
* Several bike rental shops within walking distance
* Both amusement parks are within walking distance
* Not sure if there are connecting rooms but they were very accomodating about placing us next door to extended family (we had 3 suites in a row)

One Con:
* Pool was small; not so clean (when we arrived my kids couldn't wait to get to the pool so I let them head up while I got settled...they returned to the room in less than 10 minutes saying the pool was dirty and "gross." I went up to take a look and noticed large "swirls" of dirt at the bottom of the deep end...in need of a good vacuuming. We did not return to the pool for the remainder of the trip...which was disappointing.) If pool time is very important to you...this is not the place for you.

Tips:
* Rooms ending with "02" (we had 202) face Ocean Avenue and are end rooms so they have extra windows
* We brought a Rio beach cart and found it very useful for getting all our chairs and gear to the beach
* Remember to remove the beach tags from your suits before packing up yo go home
* Elevator on left is much larger...better for luggage transport
* Bring coffee filters

Overall we enjoyed our stay and I would consider staying here again...knowing that we should plan on lots of beach time and no pool time.

Room Tip: Rooms ending with
5  Thank travelingrightnow
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I stayed there the beginning weekends of July. About 4days, and it was an ok stay. Not the worst but not the best. We had the penthouse suite overlooking the bay. The view not amazing but satisfying. The staff was good when we came in. The room was clean but a bit outdated. The tv 's were not flat screen( to those that care about technology). The beds were big and comfy. The bathroom was good and clean . We use the kitchen and it was very good, it has every appliance you need to make a meal. The AC in the room was great. Like i said it's outdated but clean and comfy! Remeber it all depends on what room you get. My sister was next door and she had updated everything . She said that people buy these individual rooms out and then they rent them in the summer time. So it depends whether the person who owns it wants to make it look better. In my opinion it's a bit overpriced but it's the best out there in ocean city that is by the boardwalk (2blocks away from the beach n boardwalk). O yea and the pool is small but it's nice because it is rooftop.

Room Tip: Ask for which room is updated I think it's either 417 or 419
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Ocean Breeze Hotel
#28 of 31 in Ocean City
3 mi away
Sonesta ES Suites Somers Point

Been to Biscayne Suites? Share your experiences!