WINNER WONDERLAND

Forum Motor Inn
Forum Motor Inn
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Pennsylvania
“Central Location, Basic but Very Clean Accomodations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

This centrally located (one block from the boardwalk) motel has been a staple in Ocean City for decades. Despite its age, however, it's well maintained. Even though the dated architecture cannot be changed, the exterior looks good with management obviously making sure it stays refreshed. The same can be said of the room we occupied - the furnishings appeared relatively new with fresh draperies and paint and wallcoverings. Special kudos to housekeeping for keeping the room very clean with no dust bunnies or other obvious areas of neglect.

But in the same way one cannot expect lots of closet space in old homes, one cannot expect older motels to have all the space of newer ones. The bathroom/shower is extremely small. The microwave sits on the vanity and the small refrig. below it while your clothes hang right next to it. While in very good shape, the furnishings are fairly standard if not somewhat outdated by AAA standards - no armoire with TV as AAA prefers but instead it's mounted on the wall. Suppose these issues are reflective of limited space. Beds were comfy but you cannot run the A/C fan continuously so you are subject to the on-off cycling of the A/C air conditioner all night.

The Good, Bad & the Ugly:

1. Charging for ice (25 cents) is awful; free ice is standard nowadays;
2. Parking is limited and, to say the least, not ideal. You must leave your car keys at the front desk if you park behind someone else;
3. The overall decorating style of the motel is a personal choice but to me appears to be more circa 1970's;
4. Lot of stations on TV;
5. Pool is clean and in great shape - enjoyed by all;
6. Room service is typically not available at most motels but it is here - great idea;
7. Game room available but we didn't try it out;
8. Family friendly - kids everywhere;
9. No continental breakfast - restaurant on-site but did not use.

So . . . . maybe not a slice of heaven in this reviewer's mind but certainly clean, centrally located accommodations. Just don't expect the space and upgraded furniture, fixtures and decor you might see in a Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn, for example. Overall rating is very good vs. average due to its cleanliness.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TFopinion

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Hockessin, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

When I called (in July) they had availability for just one night during the weekend. I didn't have much luck with other hotels so we booked it and I hoped it would be a good place.
We had a great stay! The rooms and bathroom were clean. The staff was very helpful - we needed an extra blanket and towels and they responded immediately. They let us keep our car parked for the rest of the day even after we had checked out at noon. Infact, it was 12:30 by the time we checked out and they were fine with that.
My only complaint is that you can hear a lot of outside noise in the room. There were people talking in the neigboring balcony (not loudly, just a normal conversation) and I could hear everything. Since it was midnight and the kids were trying to sleep, it was a little annoying. Just around 7am, I woke up to the noise of buses and more talking. The motel is surrounded by streets (no special view here), so it gets noisy. But since it was just one night, it's something we could shrug off. I might look for a quieter place (at least at night) with the kids if we were to stay for a few days. The best part - location! Once we parked, we didn't need to drive till we left OC. For a one night stay, I would not hesitate to go back to The Forum.

Room Tip: Park in the overflow parking lot accross from the motel. Parking spaces are wider! The parking space...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Faari
Skippank, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

This year when I called the Forum in early spring to make summer vacation reservations again, I didn't get five words out of my mouth before the woman who answered the phone recognized my voice and greeted me with another big hello and welcome to the Forum and asked me how the kids and wife were doing. The Forum is family! We've been visiting the Forum for many years now and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. To our family, OCNJ & the Forum are slices of heaven.....comfortable, clean, friendly, easy, great location, etc., etc. We seem to vacation with the same families year after year....a true indication that we are not the only Forum fans!

Room Tip: Pool side rooms on any floor best.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Stephen R
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We decided late to take a trip and found the Forum for an overnight. The reception and management were super friendly! They gave us beach tags even though we were only overnight. The rooms are real clean. New TV. Clean tub. Don't forget, it's the shore, not a lot of modern amenities but you get location. I recommend the Forum.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank jasonpic
philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

I have never written a review on here but admit I always book vacations based on tripadvisor reviews so I definately wanted to write one about this wonderful little place. Every year we do a girls week away a few nights down the shore....girls week meaning me, mom, and my daughter...we usually go to wildwood but I wanted to try OC this year and booked the Forum after doing my research and was even more pleased then I even thought I would be just a great place...rooms are a nice size, big flat screen tvs, my daughter loved the pool...and most of all I have stayed all over everywhere in some of the nicest of places at times and this place was the cleanest I have ever stayed in....great location and the breakfast in the little restaurant was a perfect touch too....we will be back again..already looking into going back down a couple nights before the summer is over!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank scbydoby
Upper Darby, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed here this past weekend, 6/8/12-6/11/12 and it was an excellent getaway trip with my significant other . He and I really enjoyed ourselves. The staff was very friendly and welcoming upon our arrival. We didn't have to wait to check-in because our room just happen to be ready while we were checking in. Our room (307) was very clean (Thank you Urias :) ) and spacious which was close to the pool but nestled in an area that was very quiet. The king size bed was very comfortable and the nice size flat screen television was a plus. We had a problem with our front door the second day there but maintenance fixed the problem immediately. Also, the boardwalk is a short block away which was very convenient for us.The Forum Motor Inn is a home away from home and I really would like to thank the staff again for making ourweekend a memorable one. I look forward to returning and referring family members and friends to stay here.

Room Tip: If you're a couple looking for a room that is quiet but you also want to be able to sit outside...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank summerbreeze08
Telford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

Needed 3 days of rest and fun before the summer season. I shopped around and picked The Forum Motor Inn. I have not stated there before but it always received great reviews on Tripadvisor. From the friendly staff at check in, to leaving, very little thing was excellent. The staff must be the best in OCNJ. Was solo on a golf trip and relaxing with a great book. The location in one block from the boardwalk. Pool was heated and clean and the room was very clean. I will be back. Great value. They were running a 3 day special for the beginning of June and extended that Special to be one week earlier than advertised. May 29-June 1.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms facing the pool are new beds, 2 queen sized beds in each room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo