“won't stay again”
Review of Ocean Front Motel

Ocean Front Motel
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed September 7, 2009

If you're looking for a great location you can't get much better than this hotel. If you're also looking for a clean and smoke free room look elsewhere. The room was no where near as clean as it could be and although we had a smoke free room all the smoking on the deck got into our room and without the ac on high it was more than we could stand.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank CEDmomCentralNJ

Reviewed August 21, 2009

The Ocean Front was perfect for what we needed - three days and two nights of beach and boardwalk in beautiful Ocean City. For the price (we took advantage of a 20% discount by booking on-line 2 weeks before), we were very pleased with our ocean front room. I brought my large SUV, was fortunate to find a spot immediately and left it parked there the whole time. If it had been more crowded, it could have been challenging but still do-able. The boardwalk and beach are 10 -20 steps beyond the parking area - so easy! The room's two double beds were comfortable and sheets clean. The towels are older, but clean and adequate. Overall, the room, small dressing area with the closet and refrigerator/microwave and the bathroom were clean. Our closet had one hanger but it wasn't a big deal for us and I'm sure if I asked for some, they would have been provided. The iron with board and the powerful blowdryer seemed new and were appreciated. The room was older, but it was bright and cheerful. John and his assistant were very helpful and we appreciated their sense of humor and kindness. I had a shipment sent to the hotel and when it came in, the front desk called me on the beach - very very thoughtful! We went out for breakfast every morning so I cannot comment on the taste of the food offered in the lobby, but the free coffee and pastry I saw there looked just fine. We would definitely stay again as an easy, economical and enjoyable way to visit NJ's #1 beach.

2  Thank macmacNewJersey
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Stayed with family for 2 nights in August. "John" was not friendly or accomodating at all. He spoke to us with an attitude. Parking was a nightmare and we were afraid to move our car after squeezing it into the parking lot. The room was dirty. The bedspreads had dried gum, cigarette burns, and red stains (possibly blood?). The bathroom shower curtain was covered with mold, as was the floor and the ceiling. There was a "hazardous materials" waste bin in the room that was not cleaned out. We paid approx $240 a night which was not worth it. For the price that is charged for these rooms I am sure they can put some money into refurbishing and cleaning these rooms. There is no value in staying here. Yes, the location is good but even so I would never return.

2  Thank Jolly1969
Reviewed August 13, 2009

My sister-in-law, Gayle, my son, Derek, and his wife, Susannah and I stayed at The Ocean Front Motel the weekend of 7/24-7/27. Gayle and I returned the weekend of 8/1-3. We only chose the Ocean Front Motel because the manager, John Capalbo, had returned. Everything was just GREAT. John certainly made our stay delightful. Gayle came all the way from Hilton Head Island, SC, when she heard that John was back. We hope to come again next year.

2  Thank buddywalker
Reviewed August 13, 2009

The trip started with a terrible parking situation. Good Luck with that. Went to get the free baked goods for breakfast. Disgusting!!! Even had to climb over a motorized something or other to get to the table if I wanted to eat. (which I did not - went out to breakfast each day) Went back to the room to make my own cup of tea and the pot in my room had an old coffee filter and leftover coffee from another tenant. The room is very old fashion and not so clean. They have terrible towels. They are probably 40 years old and feel like sandpaper. I have never been in a hoter where we ran out of toilet paper. Here we did and had to use tissues. Could also use a pool! The hotel is right on the boardwalk. Thank God for that. If I had to move my car out of that crazy parking lot everyday just to go to the beach or the boardwalk, I would have gone home. Overall experience was bad but we made the best of a bad situation to enjoy the beach. Spole to other very unhappy customers. Will I come here again? NEVER!!!!

1  Thank Yardville5
Reviewed August 4, 2009

How this Motel is ranked 3rd for Ocean City is beyond my comrephension. We also stayed in Ocean City for the weekend of July 23-26, 2009.

IT IS BAD. No other way to put it.

When we booked our reservation over the phone, John told us Friday night would be $130 + taxes and Saturday night would be $190 + taxes. When we arrived at the Motel, John then told me our rate for Saturday night would be $224 + taxes. Not a good way to start our weekend. Originally, I had a reservation at the Biscayne Suites (8th & Ocean Ave) for only $18 dollars more at $242 per night and that was for a 1 Bedroom Suite.

We stayed the first night at the Motel and it wasn't good. Only double beds, no king beds to choose from. The sheets had stains on them and the bathroom was not the cleanest i've seen. The tiny closet had about 5 plastic hangers in them. Could they spare any more??? Carpets were old and not so clean and the walls were institution white. The one window was old and big and did not make the room feel very private with whomever walked by. And of course, the people walking by who stayed in the adjacent room were on the common "aisle" smoking and we could smell it coming into our room.

The one good thing about this Motel is the location. It is on the boardwalk. Let me emphasize, that is the only good thing about this Motel.

The location was not good enough to keep us there for a second night. On Friday night, we called the Biscayne Suites and they had vacancy, so we jumped on it. We got a 1 Bedroom Suite for $242 + taxes.

When we got our bags and loaded up the car to go to the Biscayne, i handed in my key (they still use regular keys and not card keys) to the manager/owner on Friday night and told him we were checking out. He asked why, and we said becuase the Ocean Front Motel is not any good. I was so happy to get out of there I didn't even bother to ask for a refund for that night Not staying at the Ocean Front Motel was the Best $250+ dollars I have spent in awhile.

We got to the Biscayne Suites and Enjoyed there clean (but small) lobby and large and spacious suites (ONLY $18 more than the Ocean Front Motel with AAA rates). We especially enjoyed their 4th floor Open Deck pool. The only drawback is that its location is further away from the beach. It's 2 blocks from the boardwalk. But that wasn't a big deal for us.

And for those of you who "rave" about how great this "John" guy is...Are you Kidding Me? For the 24 hours we were there, about a dozen people would have to ring on that bell two or three times for him to come from wherever he was and get in the lobby to open the locked doors. What kind of Lobby is locked to its guests during day time business hours? And when he finally did "appear" he was "civil" at best. Customer Service is not a priority at the Ocean Front Motel.

I want to write more, but what's the point? This Motel stinks and charges an arm and leg for it. It's practically criminal. Do not spend over $200 at this place, when for less than $20 more you can get a Suite. Or even a good room at the Flanders Hotel as the other reviewer posted. We looked into the Flanders hotel too, but it was already full when we stopped by. The lobby was great though.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank will9455
Reviewed July 25, 2009

The Ocean Front Motel did not meet our expectations for a $300 plus ocean front room in any way whatsoever. When we arrived for a two night stay on July 22nd there was only one parking spot left and I could tell we were in for a rough time. If I pulled into the spot the only way out of my car was the window. I ended up double parking.
The front desk had me sign before we even saw the room. It was old and musty smelling, they left the door open in the hot sun - giving a real "inviting" feeling to the small, outdated room with a jail type dirty window facing the ocean. No porch or balcony just a common area out the side where other guests were smoking.
I am a Sales Manager and a frequent traveler. I have not refused to stay in a hotel room since 1986 in Yeosu, South Korea - and that room did not have a lock on the door- so I am not overly fussy. When I expressed my displeasure to Vitali he quoted me the policy about the non-refundable deposit. He then called the manager, John, who arrived a few minutes later. I advised him firmly but politely that these accomodations were sub-standard in every way and we were not staying under any conditions. I requested a full refund. John again quoted the "policy" and credited the second night but refused to refund my deposit. (I will be disputing this with Amex)
I called John a few days later to tell him where we ended up and see if he had thought any more about my request. We statyed at the Flanders and for only $40 more per night we got an oceanview, one bedroom suite with 650 square feet and four clean windows with a wonderful view of the ocean. We booked another weekend stay for late August.
I saw a review dated August 2008 for an ocean front room at the Ocean Front Motel where the guest said he paid $168. That sounds about right to me. If that was the price this time I never would have selected this motel in the first place.
I would not recommend this motel to anyone. Even poor college kids usually try to stay 6 to a room and there isn't even room to walk around the beds. The only positive thing I can say is that it is on the boardwalk.
Do yourself a favor and stay away from this place.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple