“Great Views” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
King of Prussia, PA
“Great Views”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

Excellent views of the beach and ocean. The location and access to the beach is great. That is about all I can say about this hotel. The rooms are very small, and average at best. If you have more than 2 people, it'll be tight. The staircases and hallway are tight, and the common areas can get pretty loud. The parking lot, also, leaves much to be desired. It's very very tight. Bring the smallest car you own...or go rent a honda civic if you don't want your doors dinged! Very pricey for an ocean front room...especially b/c the ocean front widow does not even open, so you can't get the ocean breeze or hear the waves as you sleep. All in all....again...the location and views were fantastic, but keep in mind...that is pretty much all you're paying for.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

This was a nice little motel right on the boardwalk...it's where the boardwalk narrows, so it's quieter. We thought the location couldn't be beat....steps from the beach, a one minute walk to the beginning of the boardwalk restaurants and shops, and if we wanted just the peace of the surf, we could just walk the other way.

We were there two nights, including a Sat., and were a little concerned ahead of time about what noise might be like, but we had no problems whatsoever. The bathroom could have been a little cleaner upon arrival, but it wasn't awful or anything, and I'm sure if we'd said something, it would have been taken care of quickly, as the young man at the desk (I forgot to ask his name, maybe this was "John" mentioned by others?) was very polite and helpful the couple times we needed to ask him for something.

We'd decided to pay the extra for the ocean front room and were glad we did as while we were there, there were some amazing thunderstorms that were quite something to watch. However, we did think that the place was a little pricey for a basic motel - while the window was nice, there was no balcony from the room. And actually the windows, except for the little one in the bathroom, don't open - a good thing to know for anyone who finds that important.

Tho' the shared deck on the floor below was nice, they do allow smokers there, so if anyone's very sensitive to smoke as I am, that can limit your ability to use it. They have two decks, a suggestion might be to have one with smokers allowed and one not. And what someone else said about the breakfast in the office was true....we wouldn't use that as our breakfast.

One suggestion I'd make, maybe as an extra for the price of the oceanfront rooms, throw in some larger, fluffier towels! But having a microwave and refrigerator and larger tv were great, and all in all, the location was the most important thing to us. And we were allowed to use our beach tags and parking space for a few hours after check-out, which was great. So for a basic boardwalk motel right on the beach, I'd definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Williamsport, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2008

When I read the reviews that this was the #1 Hotel in Ocean City I quickly made a reservation. I spoke to "John" at the property and was taken care of as if I was an old friend...unfortunately; I think expectations do not usually become reality. This is an average at BEST beach hotel. NOT very clean or well maintained. No: clock, phone, microwave, shampoo...not enough towels, etc. The Complementary continental breakfast was a coffee maker and a tray of cheap Danish in the dirty office area. To save money we had intended to make that our breakfast, when it became apparent that it would not constitute our breakfast we quickly found some great little local restaurants for breakfast. Our favorites were "Dixie Picnic and "Augies". We would visit Ocean City, NJ again…but Would Not stay here again...

• Liked — LCOSE TO THE BEACH
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING ELSE
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2008

I was here for vacation for one night and I must say I was not impressed.

Here are positives:
1. nice folks work here.
2. close to beach.
3. On quite side of the boardwalk. This also means you'll have to walk a bit or ride shuttle bus if you want to get to fun/amusement spots on the boardwalk.
4. Free bagels and coffee in the morning.

Now for negatives:
1. Room didn't appear to be cleaned too well. There were sand and signs of mildew on bathroom tiles.
2. wireless did not work in the room.
3. pretty loud college kids till late night.
4. parking spots were very tight. Its ok if you are driving subcompact but if you have a minivan or SUV or even midsize... you'll have to be a gymnast to out of your car.

Also, on contrary to what previous reviewer said, not all rooms have microwaves; only the Ocean Front rooms have them.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

As far as I'm concerned you can't beat the location. Ocean front on a the boardwalk but at the end so its not crowded or too noisy.

The rooms were a bit dated and the window AC unit was pretty loud when it kicked in. But for the price and location, it was a small inconvenience. Staff was courteous and had no problems with the other guest or noise. As mentioned the parking spots are tight but since it was a great location we only had to park once.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — AC unit is loud
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2008

First - to address the lost reservation listed in the review below - there is some confusion as to the "confirmation" you get when you book it and the "confirmation" you get when you've paid your first night's cash deposit by check or money order. You don't do that - your reservation is not held for more than 7 days. Just be aware. I double checked, and sent in the deposit as required (listed at the very end of the initial "confirmation").

The staff was young, but very friendly, courteous, and hard working. There were a couple of problems while we were there (backed up outside shower area) that were taken care of quickly with little inconvenience.

The rooms were tiny (we had the extra dressing room which is available in some of the ocean view rooms, which helped made it feel not so cramped), but meticulously clean. The walls were freshly painted and there was new tile in the bathroom. There was none of the musty smell you usually get with a beach motel. It was relatively sand-free. They installed brand-new microwaves in every room while we were there. The TVs in the ocean rooms are nice sized Sony Wegas.

It was also very quiet. The groups that were there the first couple of nights of our stay were older adults without children and families with young children. Toward mid-week, the college kids came. We never heard so much as a shower running. There are new windows, and the walls/floors are concrete. The most noise I heard was when the bathroom window was open and I could hear the loud guys in the condo next door.

That said - because everything is concrete, the free wi-fi they offer is spotty - you have to use it by the window or on one of the sun decks. But hey - you're on vacation if you're staying here, right?

The hotel is located right on the boardwalk - but just past where the shops are. It's narrower and quieter. There are steps going from the parking area to the boardwalk, and the beach entrance is just on the other side, so there's no trucking your stuff three blocks in a wagon. Hooray!

So, all in all, we had a great stay at the Ocean Front Motel. When we go back, I'm sure we'll give the Ocean Front a call first. There was no vacancy for most of our nights there.

• Liked — The view and the ease of getting to the beach.
  • Disliked — The iffy wi-fi, but it kept me from working on my vacation which was a good thing in the end.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Wilmington, DE
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

I arrived at this motel with a confirmation in hand and was told that they could not find my reservation. I booked the room over the phone several months prior and received confirmation via email. The man and woman at the front desk told me that the man who took my reservation no longer worked there so it was not their fault that the reservation was lost. When I continued to ask questions, they threw the paper at me and told me they could not help me...my friend and I were in town (for a wedding that began 2 hours later) and had to drive from hotel to hotel to find something with vacancy. It was a terrible experience and would HIGHLY RECOMMEND EVERYONE TO STAY FAR AWAY from this hotel and the rude, creepy, irresponsible people who work there! I was told later that this motel is under new management and that it has fallen apart ever since the old owner left...DO NOT BOOK a room here- they will lose your reservation!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business