“Close to the beach, clean rooms”
Review of Ocean Front Motel

Ocean Front Motel
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This motel was right on the beach. It was great to be that close to the beach because I had little kids with me. I liked the fact that it was very quiet, yet not too far from all the action on the boardwalk. The rooms were very clean and there was maid service every day. The room I had was just 2 double beds and is very small. It is outdated and does need renovations. The refrigerator was much bigger than I expected. It was great to be able to bring food for lunches and just walk back to the room quickly from the beach to eat. John was really nice and genuinely cared that we have a pleasant experience...I did!! The parking is tight, but I was thankful to have parking. It made it a lot easier bringing luggage in and out. This place is great if your not concerned about having a fancy room. It's reasonably priced and I will stay here again.

There are newer reviews for Ocean Front Motel

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Since my vacation included only myself and my young daughter my main concern was cleanliness and safety. I wasn't disappointed on either account. The beds were comfortable and the bed spreads appeared to be new. The mattresses and box springs were wrapped with plastic protectors which helped put my mind at ease about bringing home any unwanted critters. I confess, I actually lifted the mattress to check and everything was perfect. Daily maid service was a nice touch to a long day at the beach. Rooms were kept clean and beds made by the time we returned every day. The location was quiet but still close enough to walk to everything. The outside walkways, balconies, and stairwells were well lit. The management and staff were very friendly and accomodating and the pricing fit within my budget. If it's luxury you're looking for maybe try The Flanders? If it's clean, great location and prices then the Ocean Front Motel is for you. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: My room was a standard room which is for the more budget minded. However, stepping out my door ever...
Reviewed September 2, 2012

If you are looking for an acceptable, reasonable priced place to sleep while visiting OC, this is the place. If money is not an object, then you can do better.

Pros: location, price, cleanliness, service.

Cons: building is in serious need of renovations (cracked tiles, holes punched in bathroom door, stuff like that...to be fair though, it was just cosmetic stuff, room did appear clean. Parking is free but spaces are VERY small. So much that I was afraid to leave because I didn't know if I'd be able to fit into whatever spot was left when I came back and I drive a Toyota Rav4. If you drive a Hummer type car, don't even think about trying to fit it in the lot.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

The rooms were neat and clean - dated, but very clean. John was most accommodating and went out of his way to be helpful. Jason (the manager) was also very friendly and courteous. The location is the best for the beach and the boardwalk. It's quiet, but still close to everything. It's a great value for the money and I'm glad I found this place. I'll definitely be staying here again.

1  Thank SouthJerseyStar517
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We booked a room at the Ocean Front motel after reading other Trip Advisor reviews. We didn't need anything fancy, we were just concerned with cleanliness. Most reviews said the motel was clean, just dated and in need of renovations. The room did seem clean enough, however, many of the needed repairs made the room seem unclean. Our bathtub had a huge yellow stain in it. This makes the tub appear unclean. The faucet in the tub was disconnected from the wall, leaving a 2 inch gap. Tile in the bathroom was broken and repaired messily. The sink was missing a stopper. The maid did come in daily to vacuum, give towels, etc.
Apart from the rooms, the common area/deck was not kept neat and clean. The single trash can was often overflowing with trash. There was an ashtray that wasn't emptied daily. There was rolled up indoor/outdoor carpeting just sitting on the deck. The way the common areas were kept made me think that age was not just a factor. They can have an older motel and keep it nice, but there was not pride in cleanliness.
Parking is a disaster. You are expected to cram in to spots so tightly that the car needs to be pulled out before passengers can get in. When making evening plans, we usually considered whether we should move the car because when we returned we would be unsure whether there would be a big enough space for our SUV. Who wants to worry about parking as part of their vacation?
And, an odd feature was the ice. Ice was provided in a large Coleman cooler, like you'd have in your backyard for a picnic. Not an ice machine. Odd.
I would like to point out that the microwave and the refrigerator are very nice and the fridge is larger than expected. Also, the proximity of the hotel to the beach access is perfect.
I would not recommend this motel to families or to people who care about quality. It will be worth it to spend the extra money to stay someplace else. I was thinking this would be perfect for college kids who just need a place to crash and shower. College kids typically don't care about quality, they just want a cheap place.

2  Thank Juliet G
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Our family has been coming to OCNJ for over 20 years. We have stayed at our fair share of hotelsand motels but have become quite fond of Ocean Front because of the location and great service. John, the Manager, is fantastic. He is always willing to go out of his way to make your stay relaxing and carefree. His staff is very friendly and helpful.

Unfortunately, location and service can only go so far. The property is in dire need of many updates and renovations. The parking situation is a nightmare. If you would like to keep your vehicle bump and scuff free, this motel is your worst nightmare. Any vehicle larger than a mid size car will have extreme difficulty parking let alone allowing your passengers to enter/exit the car.

In addition the awful parking lot are the horribly maintained decks and dreadful wifi connection. The decks have more than enough chairs and tables, however; the chairs are cushion less andhavent been cleaned since they were purchased back in 1995. The tables are stained and disgusting. We scrub them each time we sit down for a meal. The deck's foundation leaves a large margin of concern. We are just waiting for the collapse.

Wifi is a pretty deal to the business-person taking a week away from the office. If you plan to check email or read any documents from your room, forget it! The wifi is rarely ever available from the outside decks. You will never get the wifi signal in your room. Guaranteed.

The rooms are kept as clean and tidy as they can be given the lack of updating. The mattresses are horrendous. I don't have back problems and rarely ever experience back pain. After one night of sleeping on these mattresses and I am surviving only with a regimented schedule of tylenol and motrin.

If you're looking for a great location and great staff then Ocean Front is your best bet. If you want to get what you pay for and not worry about bad parking, no wifi, disgusting decks, and rarely-updated rooms, then your better off looking elsewhere. I'll say this; there is someone sitting back somewhere truly cleaning up on the advantage of the location and staff at Ocean Front because they sure as heck aren't reinvesting in their property.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank mavrikcms12
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We would go back to this motel. The manager and workers were courteous and helpful. Everything was very clean, including the rooms. We were impressed with their attention to detail in keeping things clean. We loved the room we got (I'm not telling because I want it to be available when we go again) and we loved being right beside the boardwalk, but in a not-so-busy area, away from the main drag. We enjoyed being on 'deck' level where we could sit and relax right outside our door.
Unfortunately, there is no elevator to get to the second floor and it was difficult getting suitcases up the narrow stairway, so if that would be a problem to you, I wouldn't recommend staying there. Also, a smoker sat right outside our door for the first few days, and we found that rather distressing since we have allergies.
But, all in all, we enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple