“Disappointed”
Review of Ocean Manor Hotel

Ocean Manor Hotel
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Everywhere in area was booked so got stuck staying here for two nights. We stayed in a one bedroom with pull out sofa. The room was outdated and looked like noone had put any money into the place in years. The shower was awful with little to no water pressure and the shower head was stuck in one position so the water shot directly to the corner leaving little water actually falling to use to shower. There was a roach and ant killer behinde toilet-total turnoff! The bed was very tiny for two adults. The room had a mis match of random pieces of furniture that looked banged up and not usable. The tv had about three working channels if that. Lots of flaking paint and you could tell it had been painted over and over from the caked outlets. Good thing we really only had to sleep there since we were at beach or atlantic city during day. Was close to the beach and boardwalk but not worth my money. I would rather stay a few blocks away than at a dump like this.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 9, 2010

I booked this place for the weekend because of the price in light of the location. the location is fantastic, however, the place is a bit dated & the service was non-existent. Our room was on the groud floor, which was very small. We felt like we were thrown into a cracker jack box! There were no lamps in the room, just little wall decor lighting which was very dim, especially with the mustard yellow wall coloring. We had 2 tiny trash cans in the room, which they never came by to get so we placed the trash cans outside of our door, (thinking they would come around to grab it) - stayed there the entire time, so we moved it ourselves to the corner of the ground floor by a door that had holes in it - looked like the door at the Jenny Wade house in Gettysburg! The owners are not concerned with how your stay is, they just give you the keys & that's that! I'm used to Berger Realty giving us a bag full of brochures & info about the Island, etc... They never told us about the beach tags they had either - told us nothing about anything. However, I did like the fact that they were not the type of owners that are stuck up your butt watching your every move. THEY DO NOT SERVE COFFEE! When we asked if they served coffee, one of the lady's at the front test, looked down over her glasses & said "Coffee"?? "No"!! we were like.... okay......! She was a little disgruntled. There was moldy bread lodged in back of the headboard of the bed - Gross! Under the beds were piles of dust - don't think they sweep under there! The shower head was like a mist - yes a mist. Very challenging to rinse your hair & body off. The floor was soaked by the time you were done your shower because of the shower curtain, which really needs to be a shower door. Every time we flushed the toilet, the sink gurgled, which concerned me. The AC worked great & so did the fridge. They do not sweep the patio area outside of your room. We found human toenails on the ground!!! No ash trays either. Although this place is not what I am used to staying in, overall we did have a great time for a short weekend. We enjoyed the pool area, although it has some strange decor & the "hot tub" if you want to call it that, didn't work. We brought our own sheets & towells too. Beds looked clean, but we always take our own sheets, just to be safe! This place is not the cleanist, but one of the cheapest I've found. It needs a major face lift & a maintenance person to keep up with the landscaping. Parking is very cramped, but works - especially on the beach block! If you can live with the fact that that it's not the most up-scaled place, then it works - to me the location & the fact that we could park, was important.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank nic449hic
Reviewed August 4, 2010

A few years ago, I booked a room a room and within 5 min after seeing my room, I went back to the desk and begged for my money back, which they refused. The conditions were unsafe, unsanitary and plain disgusting. The tv remote was literally held together with a band-aid. The mini-fridge was built into the wall of the closet, with exposed coils and cords which could have caused a fire! The dresser drawers were lined with paper towels. The bath towels had "ocean manor" written in sharpie. The windows were nailed shut and broken. The outside overhang was wood-rotted and probably about to collapse. There were strange stains on the walls and carpet. The tv was on an unstable stand. The pool looked like a lagoon. There was even an envelope left on the dresser by the "cleaning staff" asking for a tip for "cleaning" the room. Overall, this place was awful and I would never stay there! Although it cost me over $100, I did not stay and found another hotel. I hope they have made changes since I have been there so nobody will have to go through what I did. It was simply dirty, hazardous, and not a place I would imagine anyone wanting to stay in.

2  Thank cm822
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Yes, the Ocean Manor is old but I was very happy with it. The nightly rate was great for mid summer and it was available for just a few nights unlike a lot of other rentals at the Jersey Shore which require a week's stay. The room was spacious but the bathroom small. We had a room on the main porch level which is one flight up from ground level. It was perfect because I could put my baby down for a nap and sit out on the big porch and look right at the boardwalk. They have parking for one car per room which is great because if you know OC you know that it is very hard to park right near the boardwalk. The boardwalk goes from about 3rd to 15th streets and this being at 11th and one block west is perfect. The staff was nice to us. They also have more updated efficiencies right across the street. We might try them next time. And they are currently working on updating the main inn. Overall I would recommend this if you aren't looking for a fancy place. It is definitely modest and needs updating but we didn't mind that much.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Chellesl
Reviewed June 11, 2010

I'm writing this because over past 10 years I've stayed at the Ocean Manor about 6 times. I'm going there again this summer but decided to read some of the reviews. Boy I'm glad that I've already found the place before reading them! Some people really need to get over themselves - it's not luxury accomodations. It's clean, neat and the beds are super comfortable and yes, it's old.

The smells depend on the day, on some humid hot days, the whole area has the "bad ocean" smell as my daughter describes it, but in my overall experience of visiting the Jersey Shore over the past 40 years, unless it's a new place, or luxury accomodations, it smells a little wet - some days worse than others.

One time we were there and apparently the previous guest kept a key after check out and used the room right before we checked in. I told the manager and within 5 minutes she had a very nice gentleman come in and rescrub the bathroom and changed the bedspread with a fresh one since the bed had been sat on. I had no problem having my children't bottoms sit on the seat after seeing how he cleaned.

If you want new and really care how a beach motel is decorated, stay somewhere else. If you want a place where your kids can be comfortable and you can sleep well, shower, use a great pool and have the best location to the center of the boardwalk - stay here.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We were exhausted and checked into this place because it was right in front of us when we were ready to stop. The place was the worst I have ever stayed in. The owner bragged it had been in the family more than 30 years, but there was not a shred of evidence that the decor had been updated during this time. The shower door was falling off, windows were screwed shut, the door had been shimmied more that once, carpets were from a horror movie. The place was filthy and in disrepair from top to bottom. Worst of all, the owner was oblivious to the fact that she had guests: no help in finding a place to get a drink (it's a dry county), where to get a real meal, or volunteer where to find the ice machine. Thank goodness it was only one short night of an otherwise fabulous trip.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Stayed here with a family of 7 and had family meeting us for just a one night stay and was told they were put in a different building and was not really happy with that but without any trouble they moved our family members to the room right next to ours. I am glad they were able to do that for us. I am very happy with the overall service here they woman at the front desk are very nice. My children enjoyed seeing the new puppy every chance they got. This place is really a minute walk to the beach and they rent you beach tags. The pool was such a pleasure not to big but just the right size we had 7 kids in it playing and there was still plenty of pool left. I will be back with my family of 7 that's for sure. Kitchell family gi es 2 thumbs up to the ocean manor. I aso enjoyed the bible on the front desk. Thanks for the great stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family