“Hotel from hell”

Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
New York
“Hotel from hell”
Reviewed July 28, 2009

I made reservations early, based on the misleading pictures on the net. When we got there (two rooms, 4 people in each room) it took us over an hour to get a space in the parking lot. I was told there were 40 spaces, in reality there are 15 max. He tried to charge me 20 to park (website says 10) he also wanted me to give him my keys so he could "jockey the cars around when it got busy". The rooms are not big enough for 4 people (they are about the size of my daughters bedroom). My room never got cleaned...it was nasty dirty. We were supposed to have an "ocean view" , we had a view of the old broken beds they threw out ). No towels, wash clothes, or even bed linens. At 9:00 p.m I finally got our beds made (I had to help him make them) by 10:15 p.m I finally got towels and wash clothes (3 for the whole weedend for 8 people). We had to take out our own trash, and the guy running the place (Mike) was swearing and arguing with me in front of my children. I complained to the man who supposedly owns the building (nice guy) but not nice enough to offer me and kind of resolution, or restitution. The worst hotel I have EVER stayed at!

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank teresaa2004
jksunrise, Manager at Homestead Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2011
At the time of your review, the hotel was managed by another co which was not up to standards. A new management co took over in 2010 who has delivered professional, consistent, and improved service all around. We take our guests' experience very seriously and strive to please. We encourage you to try the Homestead again and enjoy our beach block accommodations..

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
nj
Reviewed July 24, 2009

If you want a nice leisurely vacation with no service and no room trash pick up, no daily towels or linens, no maid service, no concierge, and no view except for old mattresses and bed frames on the roof as your view then don't stay here, i could go on but it only gets me more aggravated thinking aboui it, we even left a day early and they did not even know we left.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank barbienj

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Richboro, PA
Reviewed November 5, 2008

My girlfriend and i struggled at the last minute (as usual) to find a hotel to stay at in Ocean City NJ with an open room for our two year anniversary. We decided to gamble and try the homestead hotel (The worst mistake we ever made). As i pulled up i immediately thought of the horror movie Hostel coinsidering the outside of this hotel looks like an abondoned small European hotel. As we walked in to the front desk we realized everyone that worked there barely spoke English and it felt like i was in a small town in czechlosavakia (excuse the spelling). We were then informed that there was no parking and i had to pay an extra 150 dollars to park in there municipal parking spot about 5 blocks away. It got worse from there. We got into the smallest, oldest, and slowest elevator known to man kind. No lie it took about 5 minutes in this crammed elevator (My overnight bag, me and my girlfriend barely fit) tomove 4 floors. When i stepped out of the elevator i couldn't believe the crappy cracked plaster walls and ceilings with exposed flaky painted pipes that i was seeing. It truly felt like i was in an abondoned hostel or something. Then we made it to our room for the next surprise. Our room was the size of a small jail cell. The pictures on their crappy bs web site should be considered illegal in that they are so ridiculously decieving. There was a kitchenette with the corner of our bed about 2 feet from the kitchen sink. Our double bed literally took all the space wallto wall of the rest of the room. There was a 2 foot by 2 foot smelly dusty closet with no light. To top it off there was a small dirty bathroom with the crappiest shower known to man and the toilet leaked through the bottom when flushed. I literally was afaraid to get into there grimy sheets at night. There was no phone at all in the room so goodluck calling anyone in an emergency especially if you do not have a cell phone. There was no maid service at all for our 5 day stay and we had to fight with the czechlosavakian "crew" at the front desk in order to get some clean towels . I wouldnt reccomend staying at this bleep hole to a dieing homeless person. Immediately after posting this sad but true story i am going to report this crap hole to the better business bureau and hopefully they will get shut down like they deserve.

• Liked — I got to leave hell i mean the homestead
  • Disliked — Id rather die than stay at this dump
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank scooterb14
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 24, 2008

You should weigh the pros and cons of this hotel before considering. If you have any children, do not stay here. The rooms are extremely small. Think of a standard-sized room in a name-brand hotel and then half it. This place is really only good for couples seeking a cozy little room. Overall, we were okay with it because it balanced out.

*Pros:
location
cheap
pretty clean
cable tv
kitchenette (stove, fridge)
historic european design

*Cons:
no parking
no smoke alarm
chirping CO2 detector (battery needs to be changed)
clogged tub
no maid service (didnt show during our two-night stay)
severely wobbling ceiling fan

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Hershey
Reviewed August 10, 2008

My husband went with my son and his friends for his birthday- guys weekend out. Booked an efficiency apt. room that supposibly slept 5. When they got there, the room was barely enough room for 2 adults. 2 boys had to sleep on the gross floor, which desperately needs replaced. They had to use the same towels all weekend and there obviously isn't service to tidy up the room while you're gone. There is no way of getting in touch with the front desk from your room. There is a phone, but it isn't hooked up. Nowhere to sit to watch TV except for sitting on the top or bottom bunk. Basically, the pics online are deceiving and the service is pretty bad. Pays to go somewhere else and enjoy your stay, unless you're desperate.

Stayed August 2008
New York
Reviewed August 6, 2008

$250 a night seems like a fair price for the Jersey shore in early august. I should know, I live here. Looking for a weekend getaway we booked Homestead. Our first room was adorable but MINISCULE. Four 20-yr old girls could not fit comfortably in the size room they had to offer. The pictures on the website are VERY misleading and they do not offer specifics pertaining to the size of the room; let me save you the phone call---it resembles a large walk in closet. So we asked for an upgrade, which was fine they were willing to accomodate us. However, I was unlocking my room door and there were men trying to get into my room! They were going to change the carpets in our room and renovate, unbeknownst to us! So i marched back down the 5 flight of stairs (their elevator is frighteningly small and old, could not fit the 4 of us and our luggage)and told them they had to change our room key, which did not work. We settled anyway, hoping that the carpet guys wouldnt turn out to be creeps. About an hour later we ordered pizza, when the guy came we had to go to the front lobby to pick it up. As I opened the door of our room the TV which was on the holder in the corner (and small and fuzzy at that) CAME CRASHING DOWN; luckily it missed me by a few inches! I should have let it hit me, I would own that [--] now. My friends cleaned up the mess. We also bought clorox wipes to clean the room with because it skeeved us. The bathroom was filthy, there was broken ceiling tiles all in the bottom! It was VERY apparent that this room was in dire need of renovations. When I went to take a shower, I realized that there was all broken ceiling tiles in the tub. I did my best to clean it out with the clorox and thought nothing more of it until my friend went to shower and the ceiling was now leaking, which management blamed on the room above us showering. I dont care WHO is showering, why is my ceiling leaking for $250 a night? Thats what I want to know! So I left my cell phone number at the front desk for a manager or owner to contact me, only he showed up at our door uninvited. Long story short, words were exchanged and we ended up getting a refund. He was very smug and sarcastic, probably figuring that a bunch of 20-somethings werent nearly resourceful enough to find another place to stay. Not only did we find another place to stay that was roomier and cleaner, but we managed to save $400 altogether. Looks like we got the last laugh. If you want a nice place look at the Watson Regency Hotel, and if it's value you're looking for check out the Bryn Mawr Bed & Breakfast; not the cutest place but they only charged us $150 a night for TWO rooms that connected and had a free breakfast and also beach tags available for a $20 deposit when you return. Seriously, unless you're looking to get your vacation off on the wrong foot DO NOT set foot in the Homestead hotel. The owners attitude was the last straw, I dont belong in giving my hard-earned money to smug know-it-alls who think they are above everyone else!

• Liked — nothing it was horrible
  • Disliked — the smug owner put me over the edge
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank lmasson2010
Reading
Reviewed June 22, 2008

From the moment my boyfriend and I got there, we were greeted by the manager, who was kind and accommodating, even allowing us to check in early. Our room was clean, bright, airy and had a beachy feel to it.
The personal care and attention we continued to receive throughout our stay made us feel at home.
The location is a stones' throw away from the beach and boardwalk. The hotel also offers parking but it's fairly simple to find a spot if you are willing to sacrifice a few minutes of driving around.
We loved the Homestead and would never stay anywhere else in Ocean City.

• Liked — The personal attention
  • Disliked — loved everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple