My fiancée and I first stayed in room 607 at the Homestead Beach Hotel Memorial Day weekend in 2011. We liked it so much that we booked the same room for the July 4 weekend. We've been back at least once a year every year since then. Why? Location, convenience, and price.
The boardwalk and beach are less than a block away. The hotel is located in the heart of Ocean City. You can't go 4 blocks in any direction without practically tripping over numerous restaurants, shops, and attractions. There is also a Super Fresh supermarket about 5-6 blocks away on 8th Street. Room 607 features a kitchenette and mini refrigerator, so we were able to cook meals and save on dining out all the time. Did I mention that you can look out the window of your hotel room and see the Atlantic Ocean and the Music Pier (if you have an ocean view)? One especially nice addition in 2013 is that Tuscanello's Italian Restaurant has finally opened, so there is now an upscale restaurant attached to the hotel. Another nice addition is that the new 9th Street bridge is now complete, and it features dedicated walking and bike lanes to and from Somer's Point. A bike/surrey rental shop is just across Atlantic Avenue on 8th Street, less than a block away.
Want some advice?
1. For the best view and nicest ocean breezes, ask for a room on one of the upper floors with a full or partial ocean view.
2. Remember that this is not a full service hotel. If you want to pay for a pool that you probably won't use anyway (remember that big pool called the Atlantic Ocean is just a block away?), you should rent somewhere else.
3. All the rooms are small, and they can only hold 2 people comfortably - if you have more than 2 people, consider renting an additional room. If somebody tells you that you can fit more than 2 adults in a room, they are being less than truthful.
4. Each room is privately owned, so the quality of the bed, furniture, appliances, kitchen and bathroom will vary - a lot. Some are really nice, while others look like they haven't been touched since 1950. We like room 607, and we always ask specifically for just that room.
5. Each person has to have a beach tag to go to the beach June through September and it costs $5 daily or $10 weekly. That's another reason why we like room 607 - there are 2 beach tags included in the rental, so that saved us $20 right there.
6. Don't rent through an online rental program - call the hotel directly and talk to Beth to make your reservation - she is wonderful. If you don't like your room, ask her to move you to another room. However, if you didn't rent through the hotel rental program and rented through some other online service, she may not be able to help you. Ditto if you rent directly from an individual owner - she may not be able to help you.
7. Remember that the lobby is not staffed full time, so there is no true "front desk" like you might expect at a full-service hotel.
8. Bring your own beach towels and toiletries. The hotel rental program includes bath towels and those tiny hotel hand soaps, but that's it. Bed linens are provided, but you have to make your own bed and clean your room yourself from day to day.
On the downside, parking is still an issue. There is free on-street parking available, but you have to search for it, and you may have to walk a bit. My advice is to park in the loading zone in front of the hotel when you check in/out, and then park the car in one of the nearby free parking spots around the corner or a few blocks away. Then leave the car there and walk to the nearby attractions. Alternately, you can pay for parking in the adjacent lot on 8th Street, but it can cost $15-$20/day. I'm cheap, so I'm willing to drive a couple of blocks to find a free spot.
Another problem this year is that the Homestead lobby sustained water damage from hurricane Sandy. The main lobby and stairs have been repaired, but the lobby by the elevator where Beth sits is still a mess - bare studs, dry wall, plywood - it's just a mess. I was told that they're supposed to fix it, but it hadn't been done when we were there for the July 4, 2013 weekend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Under New & Improved ManagementThe Homestead Beach Hotel has fully furnished efficiency condo studios (1 room) in the center of family-friendly Ocean City, NJ. It boasts an incredible beach block location with many studios having ocean or side ocean views. The Hotel is in walking distance to the beach (1/2 block), boardwalk, restaurants, pizza, ice cream, shops, concert hall, rides, miniature golf, etc. Individually decorated studios have daily maid service and can accommodate from 1- 4 guests, depending on room size and beds. Each furnished room contains a kitchenette with cooking/eating utensils, stovetop & refrigerator, as well as basic digital cable TV, window air conditioner (some have ceiling fans also); and a full bathroom. The building has a coin-operated washer & dryer and an ice machine. We do not allow smoking or pets. While other hotels charge higher rates, our affordable hotel rates take into consideration that there is no onsite parking. However, our front desk will provide information about nearby overnight parking lots, and nearby non-metered streets where you can leave your car for your entire stay (parking has not posed a problem for guests). Our staff thrives for customer satisfaction so you enjoy the vacation you looked forward to. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your Homestead Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Homestead Hotel Ocean City